Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 01:38   #31

Boat: Leopard 40
This has been a really good discussion. Thank you to everyone. I still haven't made up my mind but I have another four years to think about it.

It has also been interesting to see all the different cats people have. Until last year we had been focused on monohulls. Then we discovered cats at the Annopolis boat show and decided that a cat would suit us exactly.

I think whether the galley is up or down will depend on the boat. But I am now able to seriously consider a galley down.

Thank you all.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:33   #32

Having had a galley down with full visual and audio access (fore and aft) to the Saloon deck , on a 52 ft cat - still would prefer galley up (American kitchen style)
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01   #33

Boat: Privilege 37
On a 52 ft cat you have the space for both!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:11   #34

Definitely plus and minus either way. My 42 cat was down but had a lot of open space to the salon... The advantage of down was: a large refrigerator and separate freezer. a sink and counter about 6-7 ft long with cabinets over and under! A pantry. A small counter next to the cookstove. People could lean on the overhead cupboards above the sink and talk or sit on the steps going down. The bad: not a lot of space for multiple people if you needed to pass each other. Not able to watch the water while cooking...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 16:15   #35

As someone said before, everyone is different.

I am the Captain, deck hand, chef and chief bottle washer. I am solo, either by myself or with the Admiral and others on board. I keep us on course and whip up gourmet food in the process.

I plan on cruising for months at a time, with repositioning passages as needed, including solo missions.

The future cat I will own will need an UP galley, so that I can keep watch and work the galley. That said, I want it next to one of the hulls, and open thereto, with a pantry/freezer pot storage etc just a few steps DOWN, and a pass through surface to the bridge deck. Sink, small fridge and stove and prep area UP. Maybe even a deep sink DOWN for cleaning pots etc. I can step down to get things and take my eye off the horizon for a few, but want to be able to do the rest UP. And, I want a repeater for the autopilot head in the galley.

I have sailed and cooked for decades......
Old 16-09-2009, 05:12   #36

Boat: searching
For me the issue has become head room, not even 6' on some ups such as FPs 42 and less.
Old 12-01-2015, 21:34   #37

Re: Up or Down Galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
This has been a really good discussion. Thank you to everyone. I still haven't made up my mind but I have another four years to think about it.

It has also been interesting to see all the different cats people have. Until last year we had been focused on monohulls. Then we discovered cats at the Annopolis boat show and decided that a cat would suit us exactly.

I think whether the galley is up or down will depend on the boat. But I am now able to seriously consider a galley down.

Thank you all.

Maje
So what did you guys end up with?......and how do you like it?

Jer
Old 13-01-2015, 05:39   #38

Years later, we have a Leopard 40. Galley up. There is not enough storage room, so one of the first things we did was make the forward starboard cabin a pantry.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:30   #39

Quote:
Years later, we have a Leopard 40. Galley up. There is not enough storage room, so one of the first things we did was make the forward starboard cabin a pantry.
Thanks for the response. I was firmly in the galley up camp, but now am willing to consider a galley down if access to the saloon isn't too bad.

Cheers,

Jer
Old 13-01-2015, 07:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Thanks for the response. I was firmly in the galley up camp, but now am willing to consider a galley down if access to the saloon isn't too bad.

Cheers,

Jer
The only problem is that I've seen just two cats with good galley down configurations. One is an Anteres, which is out of out budget, and the other is the Gemini, which is strictly a coastal cruiser.

Maje
Old 13-01-2015, 08:17   #41

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Would you mind sharing some pics of how you configured the forward cabin for storage? We're thinking of doing that too. Did you cut out the berth entirely?

Thanks,

Rob
RRMontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:08   #42
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Most cats are now built with a galley up as that best suits the charter market where direct access to the cockpit is more important than counter and storage space. Nevertheless, apart from the Antares and the Gemini, there are a number of other boats which have a substantial galley down with an upper portion open at eye-level to the saloon. Here are some that come to mind:

Prout 46

PDQ 36

Privilege 37

Privilege 39

Seawind 1160

Seawind 1250 (available with both galley up and down)

Solaris Sunstream 40

And I am sure that there are many more.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:41   #43

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Lagoon 37 also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:30   #44
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thanks Mark, I forgot about the Lagoon 37. Please understand, I am not saying that a galley down is inherently better than a galley up. IMO, it all depends upon the size of the boat (and the available space for counters, storage and proper bracing) and your intended use for the boat. I do know that I would be much less inclined to want a galley down if it were completely isolated from the saloon.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:33   #45

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You don't have to convince me - I prefer galley down.

Michele prefers galley up.

We have galley up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley