Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:54   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Up or Down Galley

I am looking for opinions about up or down galleys. I like the idea of an up galley mainly for the reason that the cook is not isolated from the rest of the crew. In our case, probably, just one another.

We took lessons on a 43' Leopard last month and I noticed that even on a cat, it is nice to be able to brace oneself when needed. We had decided on the Leopard 46 and it is still my favorite cat but the galley does not lend itself to bracing. We are now also considering an Antares 44 or 44i which has a very nice galley but it is a down galley. Opinions?

Thanks,

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
This one is up there with politics and guns. Personally I never liked the idea of having my kitchen in tyhe middle of my lounge room. So its down for me.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
This one is up there with politics and guns. Personally I never liked the idea of having my kitchen in tyhe middle of my lounge room. So its down for me.
How much of the cooking do you do?

Maje
Old 08-09-2009, 05:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Almost all of it
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Almost all of it
What are the advantages of a down galley?

Maje
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
This is another one of those irreconcilable compromises in mid-size cats. As the one on our boat that does the majority of the cooking, I prefer the galley down. You (typically) get more storage space and it is usually better organized for cooking. Everything within one or two steps. When we're hosting get-togethers, I try to get everything ready beforehand (not always successful at that), but then it is just a matter of bringing it out. Then, the dirty dishes disappear down below. Plus, when under way, it is much safer with lots to grab on to and brace yourself. And, if something does go flying, it doesn't fly very far.

One of the other advantages of galley down is more space in the salon. You don't see it in the glossy brochures and photos, but in a boat that's cruising there is an amazing amount of "stuff" that is in the salon. They actually get pretty messy. When passage making, the salon becomes the off duty watch's berth space, too. Or, I should say, it is preferable for that so that help is a quick shout and a few steps away. Many of the boats with galley up also have settees that are rounded or curved instead of straight. That makes sleeping on them pretty much impossible.

The advantage to galley up is keeping the cook in the social situation, and a bit easier to get to things in the fridge.

I think it boils down to personal preference, most of the time, but if you're seriously thinking about doing a fair bit of passage making, then galley down becomes a bit more advantageous. Wouldn't be a deal-killer, either way, for a boat that I really liked for other reasons, though.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:19   #7

Thank you. That was very helpful! My husband and I both cook. I tend to be a little better at actually piloting the boat. We will probably share the duties quite evenly.

We're going to the boat show in October and will look, with new eyes, at the cats their.

Maje
Old 08-09-2009, 07:23   #8

98% of your cooking is done at rest, with the other 2% done at sea. Which ever you choose, I'd base it on what you'd be most comfortable with 98% of the time vs what would provide you comfort just 2% of the time. That answer will be different for all.

If you're use to cooking in apartment style kitchens with little to no natural light peering through windows - then galley down likely wouldn't be a bother at all. If you've spent decades cooking in an open airy house kitchen, with plenty of windows and natural light - then galley down might be a bit claustrophobic. It's what your use to really...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:26   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Having discussed this further elsewhere, I have come to the conclusion that size of cat has a lot to do with the decision on what is best for the Galley. On sub-40ft cats, the space in the saloon does not really allow galley up.

On the premise that galley up is fantastic for liveaboard in harbour, then above 46ft, there is the space to indulge and have the galley on the bridgedeck as well.

for those boats in between, it is personal preference.

Personally, I prefer galley down, but with the design such that the galley has a view out the window to the horizon, and such that the galley and saloon flow into each other (e.g. privilege 37)
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30   #10

I agree with Factor, nice large galley down, if the galley is large and up, it will BE the living room! Also easy to brace yourself in the down galley. You are not that isolated really from the "living room". Lots more storage etc. Who wants all that cooking muck in the living space? You live on your boat 95% of the time and you entertain 5% of the time....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45   #11

Thank you. Good points all. I currently cook in a small German kitchen so I felt right at home on the boat.

Maje
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44   #12

Boat: Catana 431 s/v Morning Glory
I love my Galley up

We have a 43 ft Catana and I really enjoy the galley layout. The galley is up and while I am at the sink, I have a large sliding window to the cockpit right in front of me. With this layout, I have interaction with both the cockpit and the salon. I feel like I am always a part of everything. One benefit to a galley down is the mess can stay down there if you're in a hurry.
Ready2gosoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:38   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I think Talbot has it right - in cats under 40 feet you end up compromising either the lounging area, or the chart table (or both) in order to install an adequate galley up. From a seaworthiness/safety prospecitve, it is also noteworthy that in addition to providing for better bracing when under way, the galley down arrangements keep the heaviest part of the accomodation/stores lower (which in turn lowers the center of gravity). One also typically ends up with more counter space.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 13:20   #14

Boat: EndeavourCat 30
The number of galley up layouts is also related to the number of 4 cabin/4 head charter boats. For them mirroring the hulls with 2 heads and cabins is a no brainier. That leaves the galley up solution forefront.
talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 13:29   #15

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Playing to the social aspect, and as one coming from a house where we do 50/50 on the cooking front...think about parties. Where does everyone always end up hanging out? In my experience it's been the kitchen. Not sure the psychology behind it but it's usually the case 9 times out of 10.

Having said that we’re torn on the galley up vs. galley down thing. We’ve pretty much put it to the back burner and decided that we’ll focus on our other “must haves” and however the galley ends up we’ll be ok with it.
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley