Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 17:40   #16

Re: Upside Down Light - comes on when inverted

I don't think knowledge or experience mean much on this forum.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 23:50   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I don't think knowledge or experience mean much on this forum.
You know, I think they matter a whole lot. I think it is part of why CF is popular, why people come here for answers, and I think Wotname's response to you was a very good example of gentlemanly, forbearing behavior. Good on ya, Wotname!

Good advice is often unheeded, a real problem for someone who went to considerable time and effort to respond. We can only control our own input; we have no control over outcomes.

Part of the problem happens, as I see it, anyway, when people feel slighted, one way and another. Now, there are many causes of that, but most common ime is that someone hasn't even tried to "be nice" about their post, either bullying, or using language one might feel embarrassed to have to explain to one's great grandmother, or such a short post that the details of their unhappiness are not expressed so that someone else can understand.

I know too many valued (by me) contributors who have left CF because bullying, or snarkiness, or trolling, all of which is behavior controllable from within, which failed to happen.

Ann
Old 24-03-2017, 02:54   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You know, I think they matter a whole lot. I think it is part of why CF is popular, why people come here for answers, and I think Wotname's response to you was a very good example of gentlemanly, forbearing behavior. Good on ya, Wotname!

Good advice is often unheeded, a real problem for someone who went to considerable time and effort to respond. We can only control our own input; we have no control over outcomes.

Part of the problem happens, as I see it, anyway, when people feel slighted, one way and another. Now, there are many causes of that, but most common ime is that someone hasn't even tried to "be nice" about their post, either bullying, or using language one might feel embarrassed to have to explain to one's great grandmother, or such a short post that the details of their unhappiness are not expressed so that someone else can understand.

I know too many valued (by me) contributors who have left CF because bullying, or snarkiness, or trolling, all of which is behavior controllable from within, which failed to happen.

Ann
Yes Ann, a little while ago when brushing my teeth, I came face to face with a guy who's been contemplating such a course of action for a bit. Taking an indefinite hiatus I mean.
It does get old when after spending a page of text clearly, logically, delineating something via the use of unarguable facts, some smart a$$ still insists that you're wrong. And though you kindly ask'em to explain why, the door's slammed in your face at best.
Childish. If even that mature.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:13   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think we all have 'good and bad ' days and that affects our posts a bit.....I know it shouldn't.. but we are human....(I hope [emoji1])

I tend to just ignore and give them the benefit of the doubt.. and hope they do the same for me.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:32   #20

I'm with 44'cruisingcat. There are thousands of cats sailing around for years and years. How many have flipped? And yet the fear perpetuates?

I think making a light that turns on when you boat flips upside down is a nice idea, except for the part about it being waterproof and that batteries are likely to be dead. What I think is a better idea is to be realistic about the need for such an item.

Maybe the best idea of all is to simply make the right passage in the right season? Seriously, nothing macho about sailing around in the kind of conditions where a modern cruising cat can be flipped. Just dumb. And easily avoided.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 03:50   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I'm with 44'cruisingcat. There are thousands of cats sailing around for years and years. How many have flipped? And yet the fear perpetuates?

I think making a light that turns on when you boat flips upside down is a nice idea, except for the part about it being waterproof and that batteries are likely to be dead. What I think is a better idea is to be realistic about the need for such an item.

Maybe the best idea of all is to simply make the right passage in the right season? Seriously, nothing macho about sailing around in the kind of conditions where a modern cruising cat can be flipped. Just dumb. And easily avoided.
NZ has unforgiving seas. Flip preparation in my opinion is prudent in such environment, unless your ambition is weekend warrior or lake/bay sailor.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You know, I think they matter a whole lot. I think it is part of why CF is popular, why people come here for answers, and I think Wotname's response to you was a very good example of gentlemanly, forbearing behavior. Good on ya, Wotname

Ann

You really don't think there was even a teeny tiny bit of sarcasm there?
Old 24-03-2017, 04:09   #23

I also know plenty of very knowledgeable, experienced people who have left this forum, due to the actions of er, those who may not be criticized.
Old 24-03-2017, 05:48   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My MOB strobe is mounted upside down in a bracket. In the water, the weight of the battery causes it to flip and then the battery slides and makes contact.

Mounted inside on a cat it would light upon capsize. However, it is very bright strobe...which would be very annoying. Should be an easy project to modify to use an LED bulb though.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
NZ has unforgiving seas. Flip preparation in my opinion is prudent in such environment, unless your ambition is weekend warrior or lake/bay sailor.
My ambition is not to die, or for that matter even come close.

I have crossed an ocean at high latitudes in the wrong season once before and I am presently out full time cruising around a remote location that is far away from the lake/bay. I have lived through three direct hit/near direct hit hurricanes.

My preparation for flipping is based on avoiding the possibility by making sure I am nowhere near where it can happen when it can happen.

I read that book about the guys who flipped that tri off NZ when it was first released. The event described happened on June 4th, 1989 in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. The middle of winter at high latitudes is the WRONG season ANYWHERE!

If you frequently sail around in a location where you feel flip preparation is prudent, you are much more a tough guy than me. Good on ya! Happy sailing
Old 24-03-2017, 15:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
My ambition is not to die, or for that matter even come close.

I read that book about the guys who flipped that tri off NZ when it was first released. The event described happened on June 4th, 1989 in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. The middle of winter at high latitudes is the WRONG season ANYWHERE!

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

You haven't heard of the cyclone season when heading
north into the Pacific from NZ?
Old 25-03-2017, 12:37   #27

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaņo, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

My wife works the same way.
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 12:48   #28

Boat: Leopard 39

I'd hate to have to explain that device to a nervous passenger.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 14:05   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

You haven't heard of the cyclone season when heading
north into the Pacific from NZ?
I like being wrong because it usually means I am going to learn something new. I thought cyclone season in the South Pacific ran from November 1st to April 30th?

I suppose some people in New England head south in January which would be roughly the equivalent to a June departure from the South Island of NZ. I personally wouldn't. Most head south as early as October.

Please set me straight on this. Thanks