Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2020, 23:06   #121

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Used catamaran prices, availability during recession or crisis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Well, adding to the very good suggestion above perhaps when strolling around the Marina if we sight an oldie on his cat maybe we could ask how he is feeling in anticipation, get in early!!

Are we becoming like vultures looking for the next poor enterprise to go bust hoping to make a buck out of some ones misfortune. I agree with the sensible comments that the older folk are broadly financially rock solid, they will only sell when it suits them to sell, even if some one is unfortunate enough to fall on hard times the craft he offers to the market will sell if it is in good shape and priced right, good cats are hard to find at any price. I am looking for a replacement for my Lagoon 400, buying out of Australia is out of the question our dollar is worth a bit more than zip, FP and Lagoon are shut new cats will have an ever longer waiting list, so any one looking for a bargain will be waiting a very long time in my view.
How long did your boat take to sell, Pete, Just Curious,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 23:27   #122

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
How long did your boat take to sell, Pete, Just Curious,

From the first inquiry some of which were just that, to discussions, inspection, test sail, final on the hard inspection, settlement, about two months. My buyer was a very experienced prior cat owner and new exactly what he was looking for, my craft was very low time in as good as condition as you would find fully loaded, so it was a pleasure to do buisness with the couple who brought it, they have become good friends and are happily living full time on my old pride and joy.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 04:18   #123

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
From the first inquiry some of which were just that, to discussions, inspection, test sail, final on the hard inspection, settlement, about two months. My buyer was a very experienced prior cat owner and new exactly what he was looking for, my craft was very low time in as good as condition as you would find fully loaded, so it was a pleasure to do buisness with the couple who brought it, they have become good friends and are happily living full time on my old pride and joy.
Thank you for the reply, Two months sounds very good for a sale,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:33   #124

Having read the posts I am looking for a Lagoon 380 and if anybody wants to sell at a discount give me a call
Buda Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 13:09   #125

Just happened to see a YouTube video from the guy that owns Balance Catamaran. He said production is still ongoing in South Africa and they have a two year backlog of orders. I hope both remain true.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 17:52   #126

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Our marinas here in NZ are now in lockdown, so unless you are a pre-registered live aboard there’s no access even to see your boat (Or someone else’s), let alone go out on it. No sales going to be happening here for a few months...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 08:01   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Our marinas here in NZ are now in lockdown, so unless you are a pre-registered live aboard there’s no access even to see your boat (Or someone else’s), let alone go out on it. No sales going to be happening here for a few months...

I'm not sure there is any rush.............. The fallout from this will last a long time.

The US economy is liable to be in ruins because of the stupidity of our president..... too little too late...........and his determination to reopen everything by Easter..... which is far too soon. The resultant spike in cases will lead to total chaos. We are already seeing bankruptcies, people unable to pay rent or make mortgage payments, car payments, etc. The temptation to relax restrictions too soon is almost irresistible under the circumstances, and ultimately will lead to further chaos and more extreme measures. He took the mistakes of China, and magnified them, taking stupidity to new levels, and the consequences will not be pretty. NZ and many other countries have it pretty well in hand, but the global economy will be badly damaged, with America as a key player, what happens here effects everybody else to a greater or lesser degree. This is not something that will be over in a few months. I see the shape of world power and influence being altered greatly after this is over. The only real rush is related to the value of the US dollar..... spend 'em while they are worth something!!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 09:18   #128

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
SNIP

The US economy is liable to be in ruins

SNIP
Have to laugh at your TDS.

Compared to the rest of the world's economy the US economy is in good shape. Not saying there are not problems but there are massive problems in China and there shadow banking system is a total disaster. Europe will wind up being hurt much worse than the US. Cuba has basically kicked out everyone but citizens since they literally don't have enough food to even feed the citizens. Criminal gangs have taken over Rio since the govt has no control.

I would rather be in the US than any place to ride out the corona virus.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 09:43   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Just happened to see a YouTube video from the guy that owns Balance Catamaran. He said production is still ongoing in South Africa and they have a two year backlog of orders. I hope both remain true.

Later,
Dan
Phil Berman?

I thought Balance Catamarans were built in China.
Old 26-03-2020, 09:55   #130

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Have to laugh at your TDS.

Compared to the rest of the world's economy the US economy is in good shape. Not saying there are not problems but there are massive problems in China and there shadow banking system is a total disaster. Europe will wind up being hurt much worse than the US. Cuba has basically kicked out everyone but citizens since they literally don't have enough food to even feed the citizens. Criminal gangs have taken over Rio since the govt has no control.

I would rather be in the US than any place to ride out the corona virus.

Agree more or less for the US being in a pretty strong position.
And even if they are weak the US still cheats their way out and makes everyone else pay for their problems (like subprime / GFC). Smartass

Not sure about wanting to be in the US for the immediate CV crisis though. Doesn't seem like they are doing a smart job on that frontier

But maybe the POTUS can simply order the virus to disappear like the Chinese do? Not sure this will work in a western society.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:13   #131

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Phil Berman?

I thought Balance Catamarans were built in China.
They only built the B451 in China and there was some issues. All the rest are buit in ZA I believe and were above average.
Old 26-03-2020, 10:40   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
They only built the B451 in China and there was some issues. All the rest are buit in ZA I believe and were above average.
Thanks Sand Crab.
Old 26-03-2020, 11:55   #133

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I think this graph of US unemployment shows pretty clearly how bad this is compared with other recent crises:

Click image for larger version

Name:	90A15742-E6B1-443B-9F67-BC1E074A8EEE.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	211329
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 12:02   #134

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I think this graph of US unemployment shows pretty clearly how bad this is compared with other recent crises:

Attachment 211329
and dow jones is +5% or so today
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 12:20   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
and dow jones is +5% or so today
The stock market is so out of touch with reality that it's almost a joke!
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, price