Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 11:35   #76

Boat: Seawind 1250
Re: Used catamaran suggestions

Seawind 1250 should suit
Butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 11:41   #77

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatony View Post
Most people are put off by the look of them but have you considered a Wharram TIki 38. It meets or exceeds all your criteria accept maybe windward performance but you can have a great new one built for $175k custom to your specs. Not a lot of used ones on the market but for that price it is a hell of a boat. Mine is almost done and I know the builder is ready to start another one right now. They are great sailing boats. I was in your shoes a year ago and decided on this boat as my world cruiser.
http://www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/...ts/tiki38.html
I have the feeling you haven't read the OP first post, because the Tiki doesn' match any of the requirements. Except prooven ocean cruiser

The tiki 38 has a tiny cramped interior and is dead slow. It points worse than even an overloaded condomaran.
Its a cat for a low profile cruising in the pacific and a hippie lifestyle. otherwise...
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 13:45   #78

Boat: Lagoon 410

Hi, i have owned a lagonn 410 2003, owners layout, for 3 years now and love it, i come from a racing backround having owned and raced a J29 for 27 years and i can say i love my cat, it is comfortable but fast, we did 16 knots last summer in 30 k of wind, i usually get a little more than half the wind speed, i am currently on lake champlain, ny, but got the boat in florida so did a nice stint offshore from fort lauderdale to new-york, the boat performed like a charm, a litte bit of slamming in crossed seas but that is to be expected.
Write me if youd like to visit the boat. No it's not for sale 😉
Serge Thiffault sstj29@hotmail.com
sstj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 13:54   #79

hard to believe Leopard not mentioned !?
Regarding the FP's or any others, do you have a preference on electrical circuits? the one you listed didn't detail that, strange, there are many 220V cats out there that are great in Europe but not so in the US and Caribbean.
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 14:42   #80

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
hard to believe Leopard not mentioned !?
Regarding the FP's or any others, do you have a preference on electrical circuits? the one you listed didn't detail that, strange, there are many 220V cats out there that are great in Europe but not so in the US and Caribbean.
Depends where in the Caribbean. Its mostly 110V between US and BVI, after that its more 220 I would say.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 23:44   #81

Boat: Cal 2-46

If ocean going is anticipated then consider a Ron Given design. Built in NZ preferably. They are fast and seaworthy. I have done 1000s of NM in them. They are brilliant boats.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 04:33   #82

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

OK, I'm going to give you my 2 cents worth. I have owned for 10 years an 11.7 Whitehaven by Mark Pescott. Glorious boat. Had 2 queen berths, a double, shower head and galley down. We had it built to a shell and I did the fit out. Total weight was around 4000kg--ie just over 8000 pounds. She is a daggerboard boat with twin honda 20s. Motoring she could do 9knots and punched easily into over 35 knots of wind.
Depending on the type of sailor you are this is a great boat. She sails like a dream, upwind we would do 10 knots (with white sails) and off the wind on flat water 19. Offshore the issue is not speed it is comfort. The boat will put up with more than you, yes we've sat on 12 knots in big seas off the coast of NSW but it was tough--reef the boat and bring her back a bit and you're still averaging 7-8 and very comfortable--basically anything under 10 is more comfortable. Pescots are hard to find and the main builder has just retired--he was a craftsman. If you are looking for something similar, go for Schionning or Shuttleworth--both fantastic designers for people who really like to sail a boat.
Regardig Seawinds, whoever says they are fast have clearly never sailed a decent sailing cat. I've sailed the 1000 and the 1250--they'll get there but they are slow and their pointing ability is woeful--like any non daggerboard cat. We raced against them several times in Sydney harbour and would beat them by nearly an hour in a 2.5 hour race... Thankfully I was good friends with several of the owners so they would still invite me over for a beer.

Re outboards, they are fantastic, 1/3 of the cost, soooo much simpler and no drag or folding props to worry about--however they use more fuel.
we carried 500 litres of water and when fully loaded up, ie living on the boat, our top speed upwind dropped to 8 knots but we still hit the 12s easily off the wind.

This philosophy is not for everyone, our take was a boat that was fast yet could be slowed down when needed, had the room we wanted without going overboard, was simple enough so that I could pretty much fix anything on board and was a delight to take out for a sail--remember cruising has often been described as doing maintenance in exotic places...

If you are not so worried about the performance or pointing side of things, go for the FPs or Lagoons Seawinds etc--they do have far more room but at a cost.
Phil
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 04:34   #83

I second the Given designs--bloody good boats!
Old 15-09-2018, 04:41   #84

ah..I'm on a roll here, for your price range the Farrier cat is worth looking at--not sailed on one but they are usually really well built and Farrier was a bloody good designer...
Old 20-11-2018, 03:06   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardofoz View Post
Suggest a Tim Mumby cat 48 foot that is fast , alloy and has good accommodation. I have owned 1 called Chameleon which I later changed to the name Oasis. Had it for 14 years
You won't find a Mumbie on the East Coast or Carib.
Farang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:15   #86
Marine Service Provider

hat has that got to do with anything? Are you 100% sure as there are a lot of them out there. Here in Thailand there are 4 and month ago there were 5
lizardofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 06:55   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardofoz View Post
hat has that got to do with anything? Are you 100% sure as there are a lot of them out there. Here in Thailand there are 4 and month ago there were 5
Because that's what the OP asked for..."used....located on the East Coast (USA) or Carib"! Ie: not Thailand, Bob Mott.
Farang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:22   #88

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Ok, I'll bite. What is a Tim Mumby cat? I can't find any on Yachtworld. I tried both Mumby and Mumbie (I saw both spellings in this thread). Is this a one of those really nice boats that only had a few made? Or am I searching wrong?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:40   #89

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What is a Tim Mumby cat? I can't find any on Yachtworld. I tried both Mumby and Mumbie (I saw both spellings in this thread). Is this a one of those really nice boats that only had a few made? Or am I searching wrong?
Try sources other than Yachtworld. Google Tim Mumby 48' catamaran for info.
http://mumbywp.mumby-catamarans.com/englishhome/
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:56   #90

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Yeah, I just googled it. None for sale, but nice boats.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran