Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 10:15   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I don't realy like the looks of most Cats. But I have to say that Oceanlink looks very nice. I suppose Price reflects good looks huh?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 05:25   #32
jzk

It seems that prices on Leopard 47s and 45s are dropping and I bet a 45 could be had below $250k easy. 2 47s are now listed below 300k.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 08:22   #33

Boat: Lady Triana-Corinthian 42-Trimaran
Hello
This is tom at
indypopeye@comcast.net

I have tried to reply to your e-mail
But I am not sure If you are the original sender or a new one
This the email address I am trying
mt_lanie@bellsouth.net

Thanks for your time
Tom
indypopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 06:52   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
St Francis 43 vs 44

Does anyone know what is different beside lenght?

Does the 43 really draw 5.5 ft?
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 13:46   #35

FP Bahia & Belize - Capable world cruiser? Pros/Cons?

Great thread... Can someone chime in on The FP 43 and 46? Popular carib cruising cat, but how would they do on a circumnav? Rough performance #s, if not weighted down in "charter mode?"

A fair number of mid 90s FPs on the market now ranging from low $200s - mid 350K. They seem like a sturdy, blue water-capable boat...esp the ones that have not been through the charter world and only privately owned.

Thanks in advance!
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 14:21   #36

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcat View Post
Great thread... Can someone chime in on The FP 43 and 46? Popular carib cruising cat, but how would they do on a circumnav? Rough performance #s, if not weighted down in "charter mode?"

Thanks in advance!
I would think that "charter mode" is lighter than real cruising mode, you don't carry 4-6 weeks worth of supplies on a charter.

The FP's are generally good boats, and can safely be used for what you want, if you take the necessary precautions before buying(survey by a knowledgable multihull surveyor with no affiliation to the seller/broker) and outfitting to a good standard afterwards.

Good Luck

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 17:53   #37

R & C 45

Nordic Cat,

Thanks for the feedback... I assume the same would apply for an R & C 45? Again, ideally a non-charter or f/t crewed version, but generally speaking is this boat a capable world traveler? I'm not sold on the fact that these cats come over on their own bottom from SA as being the equivalent of a true circumnavigator. One concern off the top of my head is BD clearance. As for performance, how much would it help to put a bow spirit on such a boat (same for the FP I asked about previously).

As with the FPs, there are a lot of used R & Cs out there. I'm guessing one could find a well maintained mid 90s example (that hasn't been abused) for a fair price given the number available (soft/saturated market for this particular boat?)...

Thanks!
Old 26-04-2008, 17:59   #38
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcat View Post
Nordic Cat,

Thanks for the feedback... I assume the same would apply for an R & C 45? Again, ideally a non-charter or f/t crewed version, but generally speaking is this boat a capable world traveler? I'm not sold on the fact that these cats come over on their own bottom from SA as being the equivalent of a true circumnavigator. One concern off the top of my head is BD clearance. As for performance, how much would it help to put a bow spirit on such a boat (same for the FP I asked about previously).

As with the FPs, there are a lot of used R & Cs out there. I'm guessing one could find a well maintained mid 90s example (that hasn't been abused) for a fair price given the number available (soft/saturated market for this particular boat?)...

Thanks!
I think the Leopard 45 and 47 are some of the best values out there right now. 300k for a 47 and 260k for a 45 can be had any day of the week.
Old 27-04-2008, 01:35   #39

Boat: Manta 40
As an ex owner of an R & C Leopard 45 that had serious delaminating and osmosis problems in both hulls, a survey is essential, contrary to their claims quality control was not a strong point when they constructed my boat. The corrective rebuild was extensive taking over a year and requiring the transfer of the boat from Central America to Florida.
cameron forsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 05:58   #40
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron forsyth View Post
As an ex owner of an R & C Leopard 45 that had serious delaminating and osmosis problems in both hulls, a survey is essential, contrary to their claims quality control was not a strong point when they constructed my boat. The corrective rebuild was extensive taking over a year and requiring the transfer of the boat from Central America to Florida.
I have read your story before, I believe, on another post, and I have taken note. These boats have balsa cores, and I would certainly not buy one without a survey, and a really good one at that.

However, I would think that buying a 4-5 year old boat coming out of charter has less of a chance of such delamination problems as it has been "proven" where it seems you were just unlucky to get the bad one from the factory.
Old 27-04-2008, 07:05   #41

Certainly would be prudent to get a survey from a well respected professional. This is this case with any purchase, but I see your point on the seriousness of the R & C from the balsa standpoint alone.

It seems like some good values can be found in this particular market (though they'll probably need a bit of refit work)...

Besides value, I would love to hear about the capabilities of the R & C as a true circumnavigator. If loaded with passage making provisions, H2O maker etc. would the performance of this family style cruiser suffer terribly? How much load carrying can these boats realistically handle? What about BD clearance?

Here's a crewed version with all the bells and whistles (under contract)....

2000 Robertson and Caine Leopard 45 crewed Boat For Sale

personally, more than what I need, but how would she handle a transat or transpac? Any other known issues, besides de-lamination that others have come across?

Thanks again
Old 27-04-2008, 08:57   #42

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
last question first, the st francis draws 3 ft.

The differences between the 44 did have its transom extended getting the more traditional sugar scoop type transom. The bridge deck clearance was improved by I'd say around 4 inches or so. The higher bridgedeck clearance means that there is a small 4 inch step down beside the settee area. St Francis did a lot of customization for each of the owners, pantries aft instead of a birth, a small office forward instead of a head, removing the aft enclosed heads for some creating a more open space, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
Does anyone know what is different beside lenght?

Does the 43 really draw 5.5 ft?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 22:44   #43

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I have experiance with the Leopard and lagoon. depending on what you want to do the lagoon is more of a boat that is for sipping martinis on the deck while watching the sun go down yet capable of bluewaters, the leopard on the other hand has a raised helm to give the helmsman a better view ahead and steps to allow acces to the hardtop for maint and whatnot
Old 25-03-2009, 16:58   #44

Thinks about resale when you want to sell the boat down the road!!!!

The other berths will help selling it down the road. Just use those for
storage and maybe change them around while you are using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Hi Orsailor!

I find myself in a similar situation and with the plan of going long-term cruising in the fast lane, single or double-handed.

I have a problem with your list. In my opinion all the cats on your list have been designed mainly for the charter /family market. With your and my ideas, what the hell are we to use 4 double berths for? - storage? I am looking for a cat with 2 double berths, full stop! And there are not many cats like that out there, I've been looking.

Furthermore, the speed potential of all these cats mentioned is not the best.

That said, have you considered an Outremer or one of the Lerouge designs like the Azuli?

Or have a look at this one:
Sailornet (Rome, Italy)&
Different and smaller but might appeal to you.

There are also two 47' - 50' older Crowthers on the market, both lying in Malaysia - both on Yachtworld.

Good hunting, may you not eagerly chase the same cat I'm after!
Roger
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 17:02   #45

Think about resale when you want to sell the boat down the road!!!!

Think about resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Hi Orsailor!

I find myself in a similar situation and with the plan of going long-term cruising in the fast lane, single or double-handed.

I have a problem with your list. In my opinion all the cats on your list have been designed mainly for the charter /family market. With your and my ideas, what the hell are we to use 4 double berths for? - storage? I am looking for a cat with 2 double berths, full stop! And there are not many cats like that out there, I've been looking.

Furthermore, the speed potential of all these cats mentioned is not the best.

That said, have you considered an Outremer or one of the Lerouge designs like the Azuli?

Or have a look at this one:
Sailornet (Rome, Italy)&
Different and smaller but might appeal to you.

There are also two 47' - 50' older Crowthers on the market, both lying in Malaysia - both on Yachtworld.

Good hunting, may you not eagerly chase the same cat I'm after!
Roger
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote