Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2022, 08:12   #1

Utube Solo in home made 25' tri to Hawaii

This is a long Utube...... over an hour. I watched it last night, jumping ahead many times. The little 25 footer was grossly overloaded IMHO, and he had the adventure of sailing between two hurricanes on the way (last summer), as well as having his backstay fray to the point that he used several other lines to keep the mast up and sailed most of the way on a furling genny. The trike itself looked sound enough, but would not be my choice.

owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 13:08   #2

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: Utube Solo in home made 25' tri to Hawaii

Nicxe little tri. I hope the owner renewed his rigging before the trip but I guess he didn't. It shows why you should have a good toolbox and some bulldog grips.
Interesting to watch how he got routed through the two storms by his son on shore through the inreach.
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 14:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Nicxe little tri. I hope the owner renewed his rigging before the trip but I guess he didn't. It shows why you should have a good toolbox and some bulldog grips.
Interesting to watch how he got routed through the two storms by his son on shore through the inreach.

I'm a big fan of the junk rig with it's unstayed masts for that and many other reasons... as far as a boat for making passages..........Standing rigging is by any definition a veritable "house of cards" with dozens of points of failure. This craft was really too small for a passage of that length to be anything but an ordeal...... With a realistic design payload of probably 500 lbs, start adding up your own personal weight, as well as food, water, spares, fuel, etc, and you will be overweight.......In rough conditions it will be very wet. Looking at the cabin interior, it's clearly a day sailor. People have made amazing crossings in very small boats....... but I'd like a passage to be enjoyable, not an ordeal....... proving something can be done is something I'd rather leave to someone else!
Old 31-03-2022, 17:01   #4

Absolute fantastic video. (From 2014).

A little less (perfect) than a Neel et al. But this is the spirit, isn't it? Don't miss!
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 00:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
...... proving something can be done is something I'd rather leave to someone else!

And your doing a great job of that.

When did you become a Rob Denny salesman ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
And your doing a great job of that.

When did you become a Rob Denny salesman ?

Thanks Red......... Glad someone noticed ;-)

And I'm not sure how anything I said makes me a "Rob Denny salesman" unless it's my feelings about free standing masts.......... That long predates any knowledge I had of Rob Denny...... Though in other respects he is an impressive innovator. His HPs have no appeal to me, as I consider catamarans far more practical.... at least for my purposes. The HP designs are considerably different from the biplane cats that appeal to me.

Tags
hawaii