Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 09:29   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: VA "Good Value" marina reccomendations for a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Thanks. So you end up paying a personal property tax on the boat when docked there?
I don't. My boat isn't there long enough. I keep the slip for a year at a time, but we pry use it a total of 3 to 4 months out of the year, but under a month at a time generally. It will pry sit empty longer than normal this year because we will be hauled out next door in Christchurch for a repower of our Lagoon.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:50   #17

I'd suggest finding a place to haul the boat and storing it on land for an extended stay. Significantly more options for a wide beamed cat.

Typically land storage includes the haul and launch.

Launch it for a sea trial if selling, and negotiate the cost to re-haul out of the deposit if they walk due to a bad survey. (OR eat the cost to re-haul as part of the process)
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:57   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'd suggest finding a place to haul the boat and storing it on land for an extended stay. Significantly more options for a wide beamed cat.

Typically land storage includes the haul and launch.

Launch it for a sea trial if selling, and negotiate the cost to re-haul out of the deposit if they walk due to a bad survey. (OR eat the cost to re-haul as part of the process)
That is what we did when we bought our Lagoon. It was on the hard in Solomon and we paid to put the boat in the water for the sea trial. At the end of the day we already knew what we were doing so we came to an agreement with the seller to split the cost of a transit slip instead of putting it back on the hard.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:42   #19

Personal property tax is by where the property is, not where the owner is. In jurisdictions with basically 0 boat tax it's no big deal. In areas that use the tax for revenue generation then the Jan 1 thing went out the door. In Norfolk, for example, the boats and locations are known to the city. You can't just move the boat for a short time and avoid the tax. When the bill arrives you will need to be able to document that it wasn't there ie. Out cruising or at some other marina to avoid the local taxman.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 14:15   #20

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Look at Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina on the Yeocomico, about 2 hrs up the Potomac from the Chesapeake Bay. We kept MOJO there for 4 years and were very happy with the marina. You'll have to get a T-Head but that may not be a problem. See https://olversonsmarina.com/
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 16:30   #21

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
What's your beam? I think many of the marinas in our area have limited space for cats. Yankee Point has one slip plus one t-head that a cat can go to but do not know if it's occupied.
Chesapeake Boat Basin in Kilmarnock is a nice marina with floating docks, and I know they are renovating some older slips as well. Fishing Bay marina has some decent sized slips but don't know their availability for cats.
Deltaville has several nice marinas.
Olverson's off of the Potomac has some t-heads,
Urbanna has a few options too.
Many counties in Virginia have personal property tax on boats, but there are a few counties that don't and Lancaster County is one. This is where Yankee Point and Chesapeake Boat Basin are. There are also some marinas in Carter's Creek (rappahannock) that might be available and they are in Lancaster as well.
Good inputs. We have berthed in Deltaville (two marinas), Ches Boat Basin in Kilmarnock, and stayed a couple of weeks in Yankee Pt. All good places.

We used to live next to the ferry that took you across the Rapahannock to Yankee Point (coming from Kilmarnock).
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 18:57   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
We've been actively cruising for 10 years, but need to go back to Chicago for an indefinite period for family reasons. So we really just need a safe, secure spot to "store" the boat. She's also on the market, so not sure how long we would even need a slip for, if she sells. Thanks for the advice!
If you have the boat up for sale, then you need to have her near buyers. Find a place near Annapolis. Yeah, the slip would be more expensive, but more buyers would be able to inspect.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 19:31   #23

Boat: ShuttleWorth 32 Catamaran

Zimmermans in Mathews has a lift for cats up to 32' beam and has become popoular for dry storage.

https://www.zimmermanmarine.com/mathews-va
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 07:02   #24

Boat: Leopard 47PC, 47'

CCYC - I was going to recommend them for ‘on the hard’ storage, as their prices are reasonable. but you are correct on beam limitations. I also would not have them do any repairs, etc except bottom paint.
FL_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 09:17   #25

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

I keep my boat at Yankee point 5 or 6 months of the year and I am transient the rest of the time. Its a good secure spot. Call them and see if they can accommodate your cat. As said before its in Lancaster County so no pp tax on boats over 5 GT.
Most other Marinas are more expensive plus you will pay pp tax of some rate if your there for an extended period. Each county is different but Lancaster sets pp tax on what you own in the county on July 1. You will end up paying on your dingy but its only a few dollars.
I have to have somewhere as a home base, so thats about as good as it gets for me.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 09:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
If you have the boat up for sale, then you need to have her near buyers. Find a place near Annapolis. Yeah, the slip would be more expensive, but more buyers would be able to inspect.

Location, location, location.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 13:04   #27

https://fishingbay.com/

I have kept a boat here for 6 years
I definitely recommend
Well protected too
rnnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 17:18   #28

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Location, location, location.

Maybe... but maybe not. If you're not willing to drive an hour to see a boat via the listing, you're probably not serious about buying. I'm certain we'd get plenty more tire kickers in Annapolis, but maybe not more serious buyers.
Old 19-06-2022, 03:57   #29

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Our Lagoon 450F is just inside the Potapsco. It was just short hauled at Port Annapolis for purchase survey. At 25’ 10” we needed to be there at high tide. We were a bit late and getting out (of the slings) was a “squeeze!”
BTW…within 3 days of the listing we had several parties contact our broker; all but one were from elsewhere. The first was in the area.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men