Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 21:20   #1

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Victorian Boat License

Hi, New here,
And new to sailing cats as well.
I have an unrestricted Victorian (Australian) boat licence.
Do I need any other kind of licence to sail my new, 34 foot, Second hand Catamaran back from Fiji to Australia,
I will be spending a few weeks in Fiji to familiarise myself with my new boat and then sailing it to Bundaberg in QLD Australia, QI port, Then home to Melbourne, My home port,
All help will be very much appreciated. I need all the help I can get.
My vessel will be undergoing a full haul out and survey and sea trial on Monday morning.
Thanks.
Brian.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 21:24   #2

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Victorian Boat Licence

I am buying from Fiji, because catamarans in Australia are just prohibitively expensive,
A brand new one is cheaper than a second hand one, but a new one is out of my financial structure,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 00:06   #3

Hi and welcome Brian,
You'll have have a pile of paper work ahead of you but the good news is that your Victorain state rec boating licence is fine in Queensland and NSW. The only hitch would be if the boat was in Australian (state) survey. I'm assuming this is very unlikely seeing that you're importing from Fiji. If in current survey you may need permission from state authorities in order to operate with a rec licence.
Check out the thread below on "Importing a boat to Australia" for some excellent advise and some interesting side issues.

I'm with you on Australian second hand cat prices, unreal!

Good onya
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 03:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mr B.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 04:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: Victorian Boat License

Hi Brian, I'm in Melbourne too and have been chasing a cat worldwide too. What kind of 34 did you end up with? Can't think of many that are 34 ft.

I was at Southport today on a catamaran hunting mission, there are a few around but not that many on the market in OZ, they are all out cruising!

It has been an interesting couple of days. I flew into Brisbane on Saturday morning and seriously the ONLY boats out in the bay off the airport area between Brizzy and Moreton island were catamarans - I counted 7 in total. Quite impressed by that.

Out and about today off Southport, there were a few mono's motoring - the only real sailors out there were catamarans, mainly with headsails only as it was 25-30 knots.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 05:27   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I have sailed my cat from Geelong to qld and back the last 3 years on a Vic license and never been asked for it or checked once.
I believe if you get asked in Qld tell them "you just got there " otherwise if you are there for a while they will demand you register the boat in Qld!
On mine Qld reg $600 where vig rego is $70
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 06:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

REGISTRATION

The relevant Qld legislation is Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act. Relevant provision is Section 60 of the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Regulation.

Provided you are not any of these:

(i) an individual whose place of residence, or principal place of residence, is in Queensland; or
(ii) a person whose place of business, or principal place of business, is in Queensland; or
(iii) a person whose principal place of business for managing the ship’s operations is in Queensland;

Then you do not have to register your ship in Qld, provided it is registered in another state or territory.

There is no time limit, provided that your place/principal of residence/business is not in Qld. - So they can demand all they like. The law is relatively clear. If however you had sold up everything and left glorious Melbourne (yes I am being sarcastic) and were slowly cruising around, then I suspect you could not claim the exemption, indeed if you considered your boat your principal place of residence, then I suspect you pay up.

LICENCES
Section 60 of the regulation refers to recreational ship licenses and is similar to rego, but does not include the requirement re principal place of residence. In other words, your Vic license is fine and or dandy even if you do move here (what will happen though is that your car licence will require to be transferred to QLD and your marine licence will be attached to it in QLD)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 14:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

How long does it take to get up there in the L44 from Geelong? It's a fair trip.
Old 22-08-2011, 14:45   #9

7days with a stop in Newcastle and maybe a overnight stop at Lakes Enterance.
Usually 4 days from the heads into Sydney harbour.
Old 22-08-2011, 14:45   #10

Sorry 7 days from the heads to Southport
Old 23-08-2011, 02:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

That's impressive Dirk. I'd love to join you one day if I don't get too sea-sick. I'd crew for free! Might be a bit big a trip at first for me but would be interesting. Need to see how I'll handle the swell. Biggest trip of late was down to Refuge Cove in something high speed and small but a Lagoon 44 is a different story. Your Lagoon 44 would be the ultimate yacht sitting in Refuge cove with dingy hanging off the back on a nice sunny day... I can picture it now.

There was a few Lagoons floating around this weekend at Southport, I'll post a photo or two when I get home. My flight has just been delayed due to the *fantastic Queensland weather* they have up here right now.
Old 23-08-2011, 02:37   #12

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
............ you do not have to register your ship in Qld, provided it is registered in another state or territory.
There is no time limit, ........
Hmmm / this is different to the advice I was given by WA authorities who reckon all states give you abt 3 months clearance, but thereafter you need to register in their state. Furthermore, this is in addition to the boat being nationaly registered.
Old 23-08-2011, 02:59   #13

The guys in Qld are red hot as they fine you at every chance and with the big difference in Rego costs are very keen on the $$$$
Old 23-08-2011, 03:22   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Hmmm / this is different to the advice I was given by WA authorities who reckon all states give you abt 3 months clearance, but thereafter you need to register in their state. Furthermore, this is in addition to the boat being nationaly registered.
Registration is a state issue, and thus can vary from state to state. All I can do is tell you whats in the Act in Qld. That differs from time to time as to whats in the various policy documents that agencies have. Policy (and advice from various functionaries) cannot override the legislation. Read Section 60 of the act and see if you can find a reference to 3 months, I cant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
The guys in Qld are red hot as they fine you at every chance and with the big difference in Rego costs are very keen on the $$$$
Don't pay the fine if you haven't committed any offence , read the legislation and see if what they are fining you for is in fact an offence.

Call me old fashioned but the state of the law in Qld and indeed all of Australia is that you have to obey what the law is, not what some BYT thinks it is.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 03:36   #15

Hi factor what is a BYT ?

Tags
license