Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45   #1

Volvo D2 Models

If any of you have the Volvo D2 Models installed, please check the rear cap and make sure your not leaking. I've found a design flaw at the rear cap where as the single O-Ring allows salt water to eat away the cast iron under it (Manifold) and cross contaminate into the coolant. My boat only has 353.6 hours and another gentleman has 30 ! and has encountered the same problem. Volvo North America is doing nothing unless under warranty to mitigate this problem. It will happen to all the D2's with this flaw, from the 40-75 HP models. Its a $2000.00 part and can be replaced, but at what labor cost? Is it going to happen again, Yes, it can be prevented if flushed with fresh water after each use for those of us in the oceans around the world. I truly wish I was wrong, however all indications point to this source as an on going issue for all of us that have the Volvo's reliability.
Rollo
APOGEE: Tayana 37
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Manifold Heat Exchanger Damage.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	80737  
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:18   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Volvo D2 Models

What, specifically, are we looking at?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:54   #3

Boat: Elan 434

Thanks Rolloh,

I'm with SVNeko in that I would like a bit more info on the parts effected and if you have them maybe a couple of pics as well.

The D2 40 I have has some other design faults as well and the dealers have no idea how to fix them, eg water pump oil seals.

Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 23:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
What, specifically, are we looking at?
This is where the rear cap on the heat exchanger manifold bolts on to the aft end of the manifold. Its where your mixing elbow attaches for your exhaust and water out flow from the heat exchanger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thermostat Housing.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	80756   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2-40 Stock Exhaust.JPG
Views:	1590
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	80757  

Name:	Heat Exchanger.JPG
Views:	889
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	80758  
Old 08-05-2014, 00:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Thanks Rolloh,

I'm with SVNeko in that I would like a bit more info on the parts effected and if you have them maybe a couple of pics as well.

The D2 40 I have has some other design faults as well and the dealers have no idea how to fix them, eg water pump oil seals.

Derek
The Pic's I've included should give you a precise explanation of what is happening here. The O-Ring that is Suppose to Seal the heat exchanger from salt water does not seal, thus, cross contamination of the coolant with the corrosive stuff (Salt Water). I hope this helps, I'm going to effect a repair with JB Weld and High Temp RTV by Permatex. We all have to do some mods to the sealing surface with the above to insure a complete seal as Volvo has a very poor design. The good news is I have with reasonable certainty that this will work and not cost $2000.000 for the replacement bolt on cast iron manifold. I bought this for the torque curve and reliability of these units, if their anything like their cars, I've owned three, from the P-1800 ES to a 240 two door and all where fantastic vehicles . (NOT) the marine division has marred their reputation badly. They should have a recall on some of these parts. Or,
A Class Action Suit because they turned into idiots for allowing us to buy their mistakes with no reprisal.
Rollo
Rollo
Old 08-05-2014, 00:38   #6

Something I have never understood is why Volvo inject water into the exhaust without a siphon loop.

My 2003 has a copper pipe, no way to add a siphon loop there.

Looking at those pics, there is a short hose from the end plate to the exhaust.

Do Volvo assume all their engines are installed above the waterline?

By the way, the D1 series has exactly the same heat exchanger setup.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 00:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Something I have never understood is why Volvo inject water into the exhaust without a siphon loop.

I have an option for my exhaust from Volvo, a riser that turns up as you will see, and yes mine is below the waterline. Luckily I got a Vetus Water Lock about 16" away and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	This is It..JPG
Views:	467
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	80760  
Old 08-05-2014, 07:25   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolloh View Post
if their anything like their cars, I've owned three, from the P-1800 ES to a 240 two door and all where fantastic vehicles . (NOT) the marine division has marred their reputation badly.
Volvo-Penta marine division is in no way related to Volvo automotive except at the very highest level of executive management (mainly, the CEO).

Your engine is designed and manufactured by Perkins. Volvo simply paints them green, slaps a sticker on them and resells them. Volvo does not design or manufacture any part of it at all.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34   #9

Quote:

The siphon loop is on the intake side of the heat exchanger rather than the outflow side. There is functionally no difference between the two choices, and many other engines makes/models also put the break in the same position.

Volvo is quite clear in their installation instructions that a siphon break should be installed in all installations - above water or not.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 08-05-2014, 15:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The siphon loop is on the intake side of the heat exchanger rather than the outflow side. There is functionally no difference between the two choices, and many other engines makes/models also put the break in the same position.

Volvo is quite clear in their installation instructions that a siphon break should be installed in all installations - above water or not.

Mark
So does that mean you have a heat exchanger full of salt water that can flow back into the exhaust ports?
Old 08-05-2014, 16:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Volvo-Penta marine division is in no way related to Volvo automotive except at the very highest level of executive management (mainly, the CEO).

Your engine is designed and manufactured by Perkins. Volvo simply paints them green, slaps a sticker on them and resells them. Volvo does not design or manufacture any part of it at all.

Mark
Are the parts any cheaper than Volvo ? That would be great. I could always paint them green. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2014, 17:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolloh View Post
Are the parts any cheaper than Volvo ? That would be great. I could always paint them green. Thanks for the info.
Yes, Perkins sells them for less than Volvo (there are a few random strange exceptions). I buy most of our parts from Perkins.

Mark

Old 08-05-2014, 17:58   #13

Quote:
So does that mean you have a heat exchanger full of salt water that can flow back into the exhaust ports?
No. I don't think you are picturing this correctly. Even if the siphon break was on the outlet side, that would not empty the raw water from the heat exchanger upon shutdown, and it doesn't need to. The siphon break is to solely prevent siphoning into the exhaust outlet via the raw intake - once that siphon is broken, water standing in the system is meaningless.

Mark

Old 08-05-2014, 21:22   #14

Thanks for that.

My 2003 is raw water cooled, and just above the waterline.

There does not seem to be any way to install a siphon break, just a copper pipe from the thermostat housing to the exhaust elbow.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24   #15

The siphon break needs to be somewhere between the raw water pump and the water injection point into the elbow. So if you have normal rubber hose connecting the raw water pump to the heat exchanger, just extend it from the pump up to a siphon break well above the waterline and then down to the engine where it used to connect.

Mark

Tags
model, volvo