Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 17:16   #1

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Voyage 440 Plus, anyone know this cat?

We have chartered a Voyage 440 Plus, a refined version of the Norseman 440 with extended bows, genset, AC and lots of neat goodies for June '08.

I am almost in the posistion to buy a boat and put it in charter, doing some refit at the end of the charter and living aboorad for retirement.

We have sailed many monos and recently chartering cats only for the extra room and stability. We have chartered (cats) Moorings 4000, 4200 (3 times) 4300, an Island Spirit 401 (great boat!) and also a Privelege 435 this last trip.

We have a just launched boat, Dream Cat for the June trip and should also have a schreecher and a an assymetric chute with snuffer, I like this set up and am helping the owner out in getting her set up nicely.

We have realy fallen in love with the BVI's and have come to know many of the locals and frequent charterers very well.

The 440 Plus seems to be very performance oriented, which I love being a racer, but also enough creature comforts to really be able to move in and relax. The bridge deck clearance is low, a Catana cat is another option, but they are much bigger bucks!

Any input would be appreciated!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 18:16   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Depends on your intended use. If you're looking for island hopping in a comfortable, roomy cat, then the Voyage would likely do just great. They also have some nice features that I really like (quarter berth in the owner's version -- like the galley layout -- nice cockpit). One big (for me) downside is the low bridgedeck. Even in only moderate seas, it will slap and pound. I know they will say that the beam lessens that because the seas don't come together under the deck -- well, they do. I base my opinion on having been on one that did, in only moderate chop.

If you're looking at extended ocean passages, I'd seriously look at something with better clearance.

My opinion only, of course.

Do note that a Voyage 440 was recently involved in a fatal capsize off the Oregon coast in December. There's a thread on it, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...down-6200.html

However, this was clearly captain error -- never should have out there in that storm! I don't know that anything short of 200 feet would have done very well.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 18:42   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
[quote=Saildoggie]We have chartered a Voyage 440 Plus, a refined version of the Norseman 440 with extended bows, genset, AC and lots of neat goodies for June '08.

We have sailed many monos and recently chartering cats only for the extra room and stability. We have chartered (cats) Moorings 4000, 4200 (3 times) 4300, an Island Spirit 401 (great boat!) and also a Privelege 435 this last trip.

[quote]

No input except................boy I wish I could afford to charter a big cat just once!!!

Is the BVI as crowded as it looks like it could be?
Sometimes I think it could be sort of like Disney World.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:27   #4

The BVI's are not "crowded" when we normmally visit in late June.
It is considered Mid/Low season.
All of the anchorages normally have moorings available, the restraunts are are all open and the sailing fantastic, 15-20 kt. winds, relativly flat seas and temps in the mid 80's.
There are occasional showers and squalls and chances of tropical waves, but never had anything too serious in our 10 years of chartering in the BVI's
Old 06-08-2007, 09:28   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
440 is a nice boat, a much better performer than the 380. If you don't overload also very little slap. However, for me, not enough payload capacity for cruising/liveaboard and therefore would be overloaded without good performance and would slap.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:52   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildoggie
The BVI's are not "crowded" when we normally visit in late June.
Thank you.

I really wanted to ask someone who "knows".

I am scraping for a chance (maybe) in 08. End of May or early June.

40-42ft cat.

As a first timer I will need help guidance and directions from the company. I know how to handle a boat.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:31   #7

FYI there is a flotilla forming on June 28 '08 we will have probably a half dozen or more charter boats and lots of fun people.
That is over at my Travel Forum, I can PM a link to you bot not sure if O am allowed to post it here.
Old 06-08-2007, 17:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saildoggie
FYI there is a flotilla forming on June 28 '08 we will have probably a half dozen or more charter boats and lots of fun people.
That is over at my Travel Forum, I can PM a link to you bot not sure if O am allowed to post it here.
I shouldn't keep up the derail but.......

OOHHHH!

That would be a neat way to do it the first time huh?
Old 06-08-2007, 19:40   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
We cruised in the company of a Voyage 440 in the Bahamas about a year ago. It was a very nice boat, sailed well, and was a good liveaboard. We went our separate ways in the northern Bahamas. Later on that year, the Voyage 440 burned to the waterline somewhere on the east coast of the USA. Apparently some type of electrical problem started a fire while the boat was moored in a marina. The Voyage 440 is now history.

I would carefully check out the electrical systems on board the 440 to be sure that it is up to standards.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 19:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
In addition to the bridgedeck clearance, give serious consideration to manuevering around in the cockpit. When we chartered a 430 in the Grenadines, I couldn't stand how "broken up" the cockpit was (lots of coamings and wells to step over/into). The result is that I had a hard time envisioning how I could ever sail at night because I would have to turn on a light to get around the boat, ruining my night vision, etc.

Also think about getting around in the cabins/hallways - seemed pretty tight to me.

Fair Winds,
Mike
s/v TabbyCat
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 20:13   #11

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Voyage 440

My wife and I had the opportunity to sail on a friends Voyage 440 out of Soper's Hole, Tortola and thought the boat was exceptional. Sailed over to Anegada and made the decision at that point that a Cat was gonna be our next boat. One year later we sold our monohull and purchased a less expensive Wildcat 350 - but if I ever have the budget I would surely buy a Voyage. Our favorite boat at the Miami Boat Show was the 50 foot Voyage Mayotte.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 16:49   #12

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
pirate Voyage are awesome cats

The 440 is an awesome cat. We consistently sail faster than any Lagoon or Robertson & Caine under 50'. As a past boat builder, past Canadian J22 and J24 champion we bought a 440 after 2 years of research. Every Voyage is delivered by water from South Africa and the quality of construction and finish is excellent.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 01:54   #13

My only concerns about SA built cats is the bridgedeck clearance, they majoritory seem to have much less clearance than most European built cats, which from what I have read in other threads does exacerbate the pounding.
Is the 440 any better and if so why?
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:34   #14

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
Pounding

They all pound going upwind, thats part of owning a cat. The higher the bridgedeck the slower they go as well. Don't spout off about French vs South African. I was on a 56' French built cat, one of the main manufacturers, and noticed 6" of wear marks on ss posts in the salon. I asked the captain about them and he said the floor moves up to 6". He also told me that all cats floor move, well my reply was, mine does not. I have come to recognize that all mono hull sailors argue 2 things about cats, they can capsize and pounding. As past national champions in keel boats and owner of about 6 keel boats we switched, and we won't go back. The other argument is they don't point. There was an article in Cruising World mag last year where they set an upwind mark and raced a cat and mono to it, the cat won every time. It could not point as high but was so much faster that it did not matter. When we do passages now our friends on 47' monos are amazed that we get there hours and sometimes days ahead off them. Also if it's a rolly anchorage they go nuts and we enjoy the night. Now you know.... if it's not a cat, it's a dog!!
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:41   #15

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
I was on a 56' French built cat, one of the main manufacturers, and noticed 6" of wear marks on ss posts in the salon. I asked the captain about them and he said the floor moves up to 6". He also told me that all cats floor move, well my reply was, mine does not.
Can you expand on this a little, it seems incredible. What are the SS posts.
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote