Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 04:24   #1

Boat: Gambler 38, Monohull
Voyage/Maxim 380 in Europe?

The Voyage/Maxim 380 seems to be a nice catamaran (and also the 430, 440...), but as far as I can see they are hard to find in Europe. Is it just a coincidence or are they more common in the US?

However, what about the boats? Are the Voyage 380/430/440 known for something I should be aware of in my search for a safe but well sailing family cruiser?
Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:03   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Talk to forumites S/V Makai or Stingo. Makai was one of the earlier Maxims and I believe is now considering a bigger one, and Stingo is a new owner.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:12   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
The Voyage/Maxim 380 seems to be a nice catamaran (and also the 430, 440...), but as far as I can see they are hard to find in Europe. Is it just a coincidence or are they more common in the US?
Voyage have a charter base in Majorca so you can try before you buy.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 14:42   #4

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Sorry about taking so long to reply. Work and all.

Wa have owned Makai since new in 2003 and is a Voyage/maxim 380. We cruised the Caribe for 2 1/2 years and it performed wonderfully. Makai truly exceeded our expectations as a live aboard and an offshore sail boat. We are looking to move up to Voyage 440 because of the increased space. Yes we are looking for a larger boat.

Crusing world nominated the Maxim as one of the 3 best blue water cruising cats under 40 feet and only lost because of various personal preferences. Not any fault with the boat. Still to be named in the top 3 is a feat. We tried the others that were nominated and we didn't like them as well. Just preference not quality.

Overall the boat works as advertied and is loaded with name brand stuff, no knockoffs as is very complete in as a base boat. The only equipment needed to deliver the boat on the bottom from Durban SA was food and crew. It comes with everything else needed for passagemaking. Tools, anchors, jacklines, harnesses, etc.

It sails as good as it looks. We can point about 35 apparent and still maintain good speed.

I can go on and on as we love Makai and if we can't readjust to the work world we wouldn't hesitate to load her and head out again.

If you are interested in more info you can check out our website or I would be happy to answer all of your questions!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 21:18   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Cruising World (January 2002) voted the Voyage 44 their Boat of the Year.

And the 380 seems to have many of the same positive points in regards fitting out, rigging, etc.

Cheers.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 14:41   #6

Thank you all for your information! The 380 relly seems to be nice. To bad they all are that far away from Sweden. I have mailed Maxim Yachts in SA asking if they will attend the Dusseldorf Boatshow by end of January, but no answer yet...

SV_Makai, you say it sail as good as it looks. Can you please tell me more about the performance, is it speedy or more of a cruiser? I am a monosalor today with very little experience from cats. And what about the helm station. Is there a good visibility from there? I have so far been looking for double helms at the sterns - e.g. Nautitech 40, Dean 400, Catana - but I gues there are pros and cons with all alternatives.

Finally, the heads, are there enough space to take an indoor shower, or is that more of an outdoor activity on the 380?
Old 10-01-2007, 16:04   #7

Makai is the owners version with 3 staterooms and 2 head/showers. I will have to measure the height but there is room for a 6foot+ to shower. The guest side shower/head is a walk thru. But the master side is very large and has enough space for two to shower. The boat also comes with a shower on the transom step which is very useful. We always showered in the boat even in marinas.

Speed is good. Our captain when he delivered the boat from SA had a half day with over 14 knots average speed. Our best in fully loaded cruising condition(we were on the factory waterline) was 11 knots average for a half day with the wind just forward of the beam. It was smooth with no fight on the helm. The sails balance the boat very well on most points of sail.

Though we always planned passages for 5 knots average anchor to anchor we have had many trips where we averaged much more. for the most part we always sailed around 6-8 knots average in 15 knots of wind. The caribe trades don't always blow strong and long, but that was fine with us.

Sailing hard on the wind we sailed inside most of cruising friends monos and with greater speed. Makai is a wonderful boat to handle and the first reef is recommended at 34 knots apparent(not a typo). We generally reef before that when the winds gust to 30. It handles those winds well with out a major fight and reefs easy even in the wind.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:25   #8

Voyage, Maxim, African Cat etc. Seems to be the same boat in somewhat different shapes. Does anyone know about reel differences?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52   #9

Same boat

The voyage 380 was always built by Maxim under the complete direction of Voyage. Voyage sold it exclusivley until late 2003 when Voyage yahct decided that a 38 foot was to small for charter when for a relaitivley few dollars more the could build and charter/sell the 440.
Old 14-01-2007, 12:10   #10

Makai, thank you once again for yourgreat knowledge regarding the 380. Somewhere i have read about the limited height in the salon. I am 182 cm (not very tall) - do you think I can manage to stand in the galley, preparing a delicious dinner?

Do you know anything about the Admiral 38? They look similar, but I know there are two different designer. Maybe they met at the same party down in South Africa...
Old 15-01-2007, 05:09   #11

Our delivery Cap was well over 6 foot and didn't seem to have much problem. Though the Salon slopes forward Maxim actually built a 4 inch step down so that walking fowrad in the gally provided extra head space. My wife is just 5 foot and I am not a lot taller. We actually built a floating subfloor and raised it up for us.

We looked at the Admiral and at the time we bought makai it was near 100K USD more expensive and was not fitted out as nice. though it sailed well it didn't point as well. We find that we sail to weather often so pointing is a plus.
Old 23-02-2007, 10:57   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Voyage 380/Voyage 370?

Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one as it is completely topical and Bil's comments have been very helpful. I checked out the Voyage 440 and 500 at Miami and was very impressed with both. I think that my needs would be better served by a smaller boat though. I was told also that Voyage stopped production of the smaller boat, which is a shame, but I will probably be looking at used anyway. One of the brochures I came away with described the Voyage 370 - it seems to be the same layout as the 380; other than a foot of WL what differences are there? By this time next year, I'll be actively looking for a boat - since the Voyage will be high on the list for consideration, can you offer any advice on areas of concern or things to look for (look out for) with the Voyage? Any other comments would be greatly welcome. Thanks.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 11:54   #13

The boat is still being built by the orginal builders and was nominated for one of the 3 best blue water crusing cats under 40 feet.

The 380 is the next iteration of the 370 which started as a 35(we met the orginal plug builder in st Mikes, MD). The 380 added more length on the transom which improved the angle of the steps. The hull also seems to taper a little more at the stern. The last of the 370's were the first ones with the arch which was a vast improvment in sail handling and cockpit design.

One one the ways Voyage and Maxim have been able to keep cost down was a modular and little or no customization. Though we know of an early 580 that had some work done at the factory, but that is a different story.

The eraly boats under the Voyage name were exclusively built for voyage and carried their name, but they were built by maxim under Voyage's oversight. As I mentioned earlier in the thread was Voyage determined that a 38 was to small for charter and released maxim to sell worldwide under their own name. We actually contracted makai through Voyage yachts but dealt directly with the factory. They took great care of us and even offered to fly over and put us up for the build and if we could take any or all of the legs of the delivery. Couldn't do that.

Things to look for: That is tough. After 15,000 miles in the last 4 years there hasn't been much major. The has been some gel coat issues, but all cosmetic. Its dry no leaks, no equipment failure. Though we changed out the CQR's because we don't like them, though I see Maxim has changed to the Delta anyway. (we carry a Spade and a Delta).

If buying used, look at the keels for excessive damage as the 380 is designed to be beached and watch the sail drive leg. It is aluminum.

If you are buying new they come ready to sail around the world standard. Ours only need food, crew, and life boat to sail ffrom SA. Don't buy the solar panels and be careful of other options. For the price of 2 80 watt panels we bought and install 4 kyrocea 120 and MPPT controller, heck of a difference.
They are clean and neat and well organized construction and to date have found nothing but top brand parts no matter where Ihave stuck my head. They even gray coated the inside of the stearing tunnel side to side rudder link.

I can go on and am always happy to chat about Makai. No I don't get anything nor am I an owner of the company. I just love the boat.
Old 23-02-2007, 14:15   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Thanks Capt Bil. As the research process becomes a search process in the not-too-distant future, I may come up with some more specific questions for you. Thanks again.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 14:35   #15

ANytime. Glad to help