Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2021, 19:05   #1

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'
Voyage Norseman 430 Catamaran

Does anyone else own a 1996 - 2004 Voyage Norseman 430. I have been told 4 different beam sizes and am wondering if anyone has the correct beam. I am inches away from being able to haul out my Cat. The yard says their cradle is 24.9 and I saw somewhere that mine is either 24.83 or 24.9 or 24.11 or 25. This is crazy. Does anyone have the exact measurement of this catamaran?
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 06:27   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Voyage Norseman 430 Catamaran

I have a 430, beam spec is 24.9 ft.

But I think it's a bit more than that. I've never measured it, but very close in a travelift slip that was bigger than that.

I think it's 25 feet plus an inch or two. Sorry I can't be more precise. Where are you trying to haul? I concluded it's not the travelift dimensions that limit, but the travelift slip. Closely related, of course.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 09:52   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Jabberwock (ggray) has hauled at Cape Charles Yachting Center as have I. The beam on Presto is 24'11" (I measured) and is the max that CCYC can haul so I expect Jabberwock is the same or maybe a hair less.

I have no idea how other Voyage cats measure for beam, but things like rub rails and rain shields can make a difference.

Attached is a photo of us hauling at CCYC. There's not much room, but Jabberwock made it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170905_085546.png
Views:	84
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	236852  
Old 19-04-2021, 11:26   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Yes, it was close! I had them drape carpet over the concrete.

Cape Charles had claimed something like 26 feet width. I measured, but only where it was easy, at the back end of the slip (measuring something a fair bit over 25 feet; I don't remember exactly).

I would think that the slip was built with parallel sides but maybe someone goofed and it's not as wide at the front.

24.9 feet (that would be 24 ft 11 inches) is what was stated by the factory (not sure what metric dimension that was derived from, to check the math), but I've wondered if there was a change made to the chain plates, as they stick out from the sides almost an inch it seems. Perhaps they used to be thinner.

Jabberwock is a 2000 model.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 12:13   #5

Boat: Voyage Norseman 43'

We are in Mobile Bay and there is only 1 place that can haul it out - Saunders Marine - We have been trying to get it hauled out for almost a year now. The hurricane boats got a swift go to the front of the line and screwed us. So, we are still waiting. We wouldn't mind even going to Florida, but I think the closest one that is big enough who could haul out is in like Tampa. We live in NY so it's a bit of an ordeal. We are working on it and once it's finished we will retire and move onto it.
carlabunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran