Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2007, 06:26   #1

Voyage38/Maxim 380 Questions/Queries

Hi There, to Voyage 38, Maxim 380 and Fastcat 395 owners, can you help me with some of my questions about this model please.

I was previously been looking at the likes of Lagoon 380/410 or FP Athena/Lavezzi, but I am concerned about their performance levels.
From research I have conducted myself , the Voyage, Maxim 380 and Fastcat 395 are the same boat, although the measurements between the Maxim and Fastcat vary very slightly.

Would you consider the performance between the Maxim 380 and the Fastcat 395 VK the same, bearing in mind the Fastcat state that their sail area is 12 sq m bigger and they state the weight being about 350lbs lighter??

If so would you consider the polar charts (if you don't have them I can email them in a PDF format direct) given by Fastcats for the 395 as pretty accurate??

Also what is the underwing clearance (at the minimum point) when your boat is 50% laden and 100% laden??

Have you ever had any construction problems ie Delamination etc etc??

Are the 380 and 395 sail away versions very different in price ie which would you consider the best value.??

Have you experienced much slamming and if so at what degrees of the weather ie wave height/wind speed does it start and would you consider the slamming worse or better that cats of the equivalent size.?

Do you also consider that the stated displacement as an accurate figure?

Are Maxim yachts still in business as my email to them regarding pricing and more information etc resulted in a short reply just saying they were moving and not making a new boats for a while - very strange!!

I am sorry to ask so many questions but there are not many around and I think only 1 in the UK, so it would be nice to hear from owners.

Thanks
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 07:13   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
I am always ready to talk about one of my loves.

i have seperately replied and provided my email for more elaborate discussions unless the board wants to read my blathering some more.

I only have a few minutes so I just supply a short snippet of info

The Voyage 380 was built intially for Voayge yachts by Maxim under Voyages direct supervision. So yes it is the same boat with a different name. Makai was one of the last Voyage 380's and you can see some Maxim name plates mixed with Voyage stuff.

Never had delamination issues though after 3 years in the Caribe I have found some cosmetic gel coat problems that I need to attend to. Though everyone who comes on board just loves the looks. maybe it is just the owner view of the imperfections.

If you read through some of my previous posting you may gather a bit about my views of the quality of the MAxim/Voyage which is exceptional. ( it was nominated by CW, but one of Siminos' other designs won by personal preferences).

i will provide more if desired.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 12:03   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
The ybw forum shows a 380 just built, so still in business. I gather the UK will soon have another. Yachting and Boating World: She Floats!!!
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote