Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2023, 11:08   #31

Re: Waiting lists and lead times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Your having an all carbon Balance built, correct? Really nice catamarans.
Thanks! Yes, we are except we elected not to go full carbon on the hulls themselves. All carbon boats are just incredibly loud, if you what some of their more recent launches there are variants now in the Mark II 526 with added carbon beyond the base boat to bring the displacement down to around 11.7 tons which is what we are doing. That is pretty respectable for a more luxury-oriented performance cruiser, but not flying a hull territory like the ORC/HH/Gunboats...but they'll still hit 28 knots is way fast enough for us!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 14:36   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinacan View Post
I am in line for an Outremer now, December 2026 […]
I'm looking into Outremer myself and have a few questions before I drive to LGM in April for the Salon International. Would you mind if I send you a private message?
tb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 03:37   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Have you guys considered adding a protected helm to your new Outie? Archer is the only one I have seen with this and it looks and works great!
Old 13-03-2023, 15:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
I’m not sure if you have a business background or not, but if SW truly offered fixed price contracts on boats out beyond 2 years, that book of business is a huge liability not an asset. A liability that could in fact bankrupt the company, the boat building industry is a historically brutal business to be in with profit margins razor thin to begin with, a blunder like offering guaranteed price on a boat you won’t deliver until 3-4 years after taking the order will be loosing money on every hull. This is why all the builders who are business savvy only guarantee pricing for hulls they know pricing on which is roughly 2 years out. HH, Balance, Outremer all take a deposit for builds farther out and if the cost increases over 10% you can back out, and they’ve all gone up since 2020 by more than 10%. I hope for SW’s sake what you are saying isn’t true or else they’ll not be around to deliver the 100 boats they have on order.

On the 1600 front, it was originally a Corsair design (the same contract builder who builds the Seawind now), first launched around 2006 I believe, you can still see a few pop up for sale once in a while, it’s the exact same boat. Seawind rebadged it the 1600 and updated a few things initially calling it a performance boat, only problem is when you put any weight onboard I it performs like a sea slug. They had to redesign it to marginally improve its performance and payload capacity. We thought we’d love it until we toured one, if you are taller than 5’8”, you can’t even use the hem positions. Not the boat for us.
Seawind started putting hedges for inflation in all the contracts shortly after September 2021. Their inflation hedge is better than the other performance brands. Both Seawind and the buyer share in the inflation risk rather than just the buyer. I noticed the inflation hedge in contracts written after ours in Sept. 2021. I agree it is a worry that there are so many contracts out there with delivery between now and Jan. 2026 that are below the current price seawind is asking. If I were seawind I'd offer to return deposits and cancel contracts to anyone with a fixed price contract. With the long wait I'm sure they could clear several contracts that are below the market.
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 11:17   #35

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
Thanks! Yes, we are except we elected not to go full carbon on the hulls themselves. All carbon boats are just incredibly loud, if you what some of their more recent launches there are variants now in the Mark II 526 with added carbon beyond the base boat to bring the displacement down to around 11.7 tons which is what we are doing. That is pretty respectable for a more luxury-oriented performance cruiser, but not flying a hull territory like the ORC/HH/Gunboats...but they'll still hit 28 knots is way fast enough for us!

Congratulations. You are getting my dream boat. I live 100km from the factory and know them well, you are in good hands.
When you expecting to launch?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 02:51   #36

Boat: LAGOON 400

compared prices of various yanmar spare parts i purchased this year vs 5 years ago, and is nice 50% increase. So i guess most things are up that much meaning boat prices should be up that much as well give or take.

I bet mass produced boats quality of build is getting worse in this high demand/low morale environment. Seawind dedication to quality is like fresh air. Let see end result and hope they can do it with profit.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 03:48   #37

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
compared prices of various yanmar spare parts i purchased this year vs 5 years ago, and is nice 50% increase. So i guess most things are up that much meaning boat prices should be up that much as well give or take.

I bet mass produced boats quality of build is getting worse in this high demand/low morale environment. Seawind dedication to quality is like fresh air. Let see end result and hope they can do it with profit.

isn't that just inflation? all those PPP dollars coming back to roost now...

maybe it is a good thing for debtors.. but i most folks would prefer keeping the purchasing power of their cash (esp those on a fixed income)

concerning lead times...i was quoted "2024" (more than a year..but less than than 2 haha) for delivery of a lagoon 55...

which according to dealer is their best since pre-covid. (supply disruptions no longer relavant?)

if planning to place in charter... it was possible to procure much faster by purchasing via dream yacht charters(for example..they quoted a few months for delivery)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 18:01   #38

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
isn't that just inflation? all those PPP dollars coming back to roost now...

maybe it is a good thing for debtors.. but i most folks would prefer keeping the purchasing power of their cash (esp those on a fixed income)

concerning lead times...i was quoted "2024" (more than a year..but less than than 2 haha) for delivery of a lagoon 55...

which according to dealer is their best since pre-covid. (supply disruptions no longer relavant?)

if planning to place in charter... it was possible to procure much faster by purchasing via dream yacht charters(for example..they quoted a few months for delivery)
we have 30% inflation per year. Admitted is only ~ 10 %.

Another 10 % will come in shape of less quality for same price. I just today purchased sail tape and with standard increased price however effectivness is around 50% less. So true inflation for that tape is more like 300%. Paying 50% more for 50% less quality product.

And last 10 % will be via pushing climate change and associated lockdowns. Cant spend if you locked , hehe.

lovely post covid world.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 18:10   #39

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPacBound View Post
Thank you for the input. Can any one recommend reputable brokers in Australia/Nieu Zealand?
Multihull Central in Australia.
They have their finger on the pulse of the new and used market.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote