Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 23:52   #1

Boat: LAGOON 400
Waterline trim ?

I am trying to keep waterline of the boat parallel to sea as current weight distribution makes boat float higher at the bow. Have noticed that many boats waterline actually leans forward so bows floats lower than sterns.

Is this on purpose?

See pic of mine, where stern is lower than bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boattrim.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	172316  
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 02:28   #2

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Waterline trim ?

Bum down causes more drag especially noticeable in light air sailing, especially with a hull designed for performance and efficiency. I imagine you'd motor in those conditions anyway, so not sure whether it would make any difference having fore-aft weight balance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 02:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Very common with cruising cats - those engines, fuel tanks, large battery banks, generators, solar panels, dinghy etc all weighing down the stern make it very hard to level.

Monohulls don't tend to have the same amount of weight so far astern,and often carry water tanks and anchors/chain more forward that a multihull does - giving them the opposite problem.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 13:31   #4

thks for input.

Will fill my water tanks with extra 0.5 T of water. This should move fore-aft weight balance to right direction and see if any difference when sailing.
Old 29-06-2018, 10:46   #5

On cats, lighter is normally better so determining how to move weight around for passage has helped us: allowing crossings with less water weight.
Old 13-07-2018, 13:28   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

It's faster with just the forward hulls in the water. Basically the less sterns in the better

On my cat's, Beach Cats, during some races I found that if I trapped out and moved forward of the front main beam during the upwind legs, I could point higher and sail faster

Here's the boat and you can see how far forward I had to get on the trapeze to do this...…..just forward of the front beam. We sailed singlehanded back then. My jib tell tale would be pointing straight up I was sailing so close to the wind

My boat was a couple rev levels before this one but about the same except for the wave piercing bows and new style daggerboards

This one has the lifting boards so they don't have to get so far forward

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 00:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It's faster with just the forward hulls in the water. Basically the less sterns in the better

On my cat's, Beach Cats, during some races I found that if I trapped out and moved forward of the front main beam during the upwind legs, I could point higher and sail faster

Here's the boat and you can see how far forward I had to get on the trapeze to do this...…..just forward of the front beam. We sailed singlehanded back then. My jib tell tale would be pointing straight up I was sailing so close to the wind

My boat was a couple rev levels before this one but about the same except for the wave piercing bows and new style daggerboards

This one has the lifting boards so they don't have to get so far forward

excellent. Clip tells 1 million words !

Will think of weight distribution and try to rearrange. Adding 0.5T of water does not seem constructive. However, I like to sail more efficiently.
Old 15-07-2018, 00:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Bum down causes more drag especially noticeable in light air sailing, especially with a hull designed for performance and efficiency. I imagine you'd motor in those conditions anyway, so not sure whether it would make any difference having fore-aft weight balance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Just yesterday, sailing in flat water boat was happy doing 3 kn in 4 kn apparent with gennaker at 110 app. Felt just fine, actually was a bit surprised that gennaker did not collapse in such little wind. Did not feel need to motor as it went straight to target, but if i can get bit extra with weight distribution will not cry.
Old 15-07-2018, 16:39   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
excellent. Clip tells 1 million words !

Will think of weight distribution and try to rearrange. Adding 0.5T of water does not seem constructive. However, I like to sail more efficiently.
Great!

Some with large boats don't believe they can learn anything from the smaller and faster even though it's pretty obvious to most of us.

This is the version I used to race back in the early 2000's. It was a singlehanded boat with a main sail and spinnaker. (quite the hand full buoy racing)

No wave piercing hulls or lifting daggerboards (just straight 4' plus high aspect ratio boards) and the jib was optional. I bought the jib for distance races and I did great unless the wind got over say 15 knots and then I'd usually pitchpole at some point. I didn't have roller furling and plus we don't reef on racing beach cats

Jim Young Sailing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water