Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 16:14   #121

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Waves always look small on video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Polex,

In your words in the real world whilst Commanche may be faster downwind than Wild Oats it may not be faster upwind. In any event it was not the fastest boat in the recent Sydney to Hobart.
Off course, but are we not talking about record speeds? The Max trimaran Banque Populaire was built to be a record breaker, Comanche too, in what regards monohulls.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 16:23   #122

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Off course, but are we not talking about record speeds? The Max trimaran Banque Populaire was built to be a record breaker, Comanche too, in what regards monohulls.
No. More so getting from A to B.

I any regard perhaps Commanche may in the future be proven fast downwind but at this point over varying conditions she is not.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 16:50   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So you're saying the mono can sail at 30 knots for 24 hours?
Yes, probably Comanche can. Let's wait till the first record attempts.
A VOR70, a much smaller and slower boat has sailed 24 hours at 25K.

Quote:
Come to that, BP sailed round the world non-stop in 45 days 13 hours... what's the monohull non-stop RTW record? Have they managed an 80 dayer yet?
Its odd you don't know, yes they have made 2 days better than that solo on a much smaller boat, a 60fter. You cannot compare the performance of a much smaller boat with a Maxi. Since Trimarans are the fastest boat monohulls have stop being used to beat sailing absolute records , like the Jules Verne Trophy (and chase maxi record boats stop being made) but the difference between top boats of the same size is not as big as you want to make believe.

Regarding solo boats, that has more to do with cruising situation, then a sailboat that is run by a huge crew, the differences are even smaller. The 24 hour solo absolute record on a trimaran (105ft) gives an average speed of 26K. The Absolute 24 hours monohull record is only 3K less (23K) and done in a 60ft boat.

As I said, because Maxi trimarans are faster record boats they stop being built as maxi monohulls, the Comanche is the first in many years. The records obtained by monohulls are not obtained by boats specially designed to chase records, like the Maxi trimarans, but by smaller boats that are used in class racing, VOR or IMOCA.
Old 16-01-2015, 16:54   #124

Quote:
No. More so getting from A to B.

I any regard perhaps Commanche may in the future be proven fast downwind but at this point over varying conditions she is not.
Yes, on varying conditions it certainly will. The Sydney Hobart is not a race in variable conditions, it is a mostly upwind sailing with very nasty sea conditions.
Old 16-01-2015, 16:58   #125

Quote:
Yes, probably Comanche can. Let's wait till the first record attempts.
A VOR70, a much smaller and slower boat has sailed 24 hours at 25K.

Its odd you don't know, yes they have made 2 days better than that solo on a much smaller boat, a 60fter. You cannot compare the performance of a much smaller boat with a Maxi. Since Trimarans are the fastest boat monohulls have stop being used to beat sailing absolute records, like the Jules Verne Trophy but the difference between top boats of the same size is not as big as you want to make believe.

Regarding solo boats, that has more to do with cruising situation, then a sailboat that is run by a huge crew, the differences are even smaller. The 24 hour solo absolute record on a trimaran (105ft) gives an average speed of 26K. The Absolute 24 hours monohull record is only 3K less (23K) and done in a 60ft boat.

As I said, because trimarans are faster record boats (maxi) stop being built as monohulls, the Comanche is the first in many years. The records obtained by monohulls are not obtained by boats specially designed to chase records, like the Maxi trimarans but by smaller boats that are used in class racing, VOR or IMOCA.
So fastest multi, 45 days, fastest mono 78 days. And a bunch of excuses.

So that's settled, can we get back to the topic, which HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MONOHULLS.

Bollux, we know you love monohulls, go to the MONOHULL forum and rant on about them.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:05   #126

Quote:
Yes, on varying conditions it certainly will. The Sydney Hobart is not a race in variable conditions, it is a mostly upwind sailing with very nasty sea conditions.
Rubbish. The weather on the east coast of Aus at Christmas time can be just about anything.

But strong northeasterlies are certainly not rare.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:19   #127

Quote:
So fastest multi, 45 days, fastest mono 78 days. And a bunch of excuses.
Like one being done by a 141ft trimaran with a huge crew and the other by a 60ft monohull with a solo sailor?
Old 16-01-2015, 17:23   #128

Quote:
Rubbish. The weather on the east coast of Aus at Christmas time can be just about anything.

We where talking of the last edition that was the one where Wild Oats beat by a short distance Comanche. Most of the race was strong upwind winds. On the final part there was downwind winds and then we saw Comanche almost catching Wild Oats.
Old 16-01-2015, 18:33   #129

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

I really do enjoy this forum....for the most part.
But some posters have become seriously far too egocentric to just pull their head in occasionally and shut up.
I dont have nor do I want spare or idle time to read all the argy bargy so I'm considering using the ignore button on a couple of these prolific know everything about all boats types however if I do that I will loose the general drift of the thread and occasionally those same posters come out with some interesting stuff.Never used this facility so don't really know what happens.Im assuming if I say ignore two or three posters the thread continues without me seeing their posts?
Any other polite suggestions how to deal with my issue?
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 19:37   #130

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Chris, you could perhaps use your built-in low tech ignore function and simply skip over the posts that irritate you!

The petty arguments and counter-arguments do get boring, but as you say, sometimes gems come up with the drek.

The internet is a hard mistress...

Jim
Old 16-01-2015, 20:47   #131

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I really do enjoy this forum....for the most part.
But some posters have become seriously far too egocentric to just pull their head in occasionally and shut up.
I dont have nor do I want spare or idle time to read all the argy bargy so I'm considering using the ignore button on a couple of these prolific know everything about all boats types however if I do that I will loose the general drift of the thread and occasionally those same posters come out with some interesting stuff.Never used this facility so don't really know what happens.Im assuming if I say ignore two or three posters the thread continues without me seeing their posts?
Any other polite suggestions how to deal with my issue?
Chris
Try Sailing Anarchy.
When you come back, you'll be a different person.
Not saying that's bad or good, just...

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 00:30   #132

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Quote:

Equally so in bass strait of lakes entrance whilst in the pass I have never mined sailing in big sea high winds but when it blows from the s/e that's another story with the currents running one in a n/e and wind s/e is a potent mix for trouble and I got found out in 1984 of deal island .

Now if memory serves me correct I remember a ketch 78ft Beowulf ? Sailing one winter in Southern Ocean and setting speeds of in excess of 25 knts which is impressive I think there are some videos of it and it was a American yacht ?
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 00:41   #133

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Equally so in bass strait of lakes entrance whilst in the pass I have never mined sailing in big sea high winds but when it blows from the s/e that's another story with the currents running one in a n/e and wind s/e is a potent mix for trouble and I got found out in 1984 of deal island .

Now if memory serves me correct I remember a ketch 78ft Beowulf ? Sailing one winter in Southern Ocean and setting speeds of in excess of 25 knts which is impressive I think there are some videos of it and it was a American yacht ?
One of the better monohull designs although Polex does not agree with that.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:23   #134

Is there a generally accepted theory as to why waves look smaller in pictures and video? I know this is true from experience, but I wasn't really thinking about it when I was on a boat off the coast of Mexico in 8' waves.

Is it that the boat goes up and down more than the waves, so it feels worse than the waves are? Is it because there is no depth to most wave pictures and no sense of scale? Is it because the focal length of the lens is not the standard human eye field of view?
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 09:44   #135

Quote:
One of the better monohull designs although Polex does not agree with that.
Certainly a good design but in my opinion overrated about speed or regarding to be the best or only option regarding a fast monohull for cruising. Never had the opportunity to really compare performances with other fast cruisers of different design, beamier boats, and my opinion relied only in what i know about boat design and that shape of hull not to be the best one for solo racing.

Now I have more information and I found some comparative interesting performances (with the boats sailing at the same time on the same course). I can say that my opinion was confirmed and someday I will post about it.

The best type of hull however if someone would want to sail or or circumnavigate the "wrong" way, against the prevailing winds.