Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 04:52   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Weight of cruising gear

I am just in the process of shipping all of my gear for the boat to Cape Town ready for the launch in a few weeks.
My question is, what weight of cruising gear do most of you who are cruising for periods of a month at a time or longer carrying? This doesn't include stuff bolted down to the boat such as gennerator, air con, watermaker etc but does include dink, outboard, galley appliances, safety equipment, tools, personal effects, spares etc. Provisions aren't included either.

I have just weighed my pallet of stuff and I am gobsmacked at the weight of it all. I will give you the low down on all of mine later while I desperately revisit my list to try and reduce it. The worst part is that the Admirals shoe and handbag collection is included yet!!
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:56   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Adaero,

I didn't have any way to weigh our stuff, but based on 1,500 lb per inch for my boat, I'd guess we had about 3,000 to 4,000 lb of assorted gear and provisions.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'm also not sure (or maybe dont even want to know) the total wieght but do know when we sold one boat overseas and shipped back all the so called 'surplus' kit for our new one - it was recorded as 3 cubic metres by the shippers!
JOHN
Old 06-08-2008, 05:08   #4

We figure upwards of 10,000 pounds for full load. Gear, sails, ground tackle, water, fuel, spares,,,,,,, The list is endless.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Numbers I've seen around run at least 2 tons per person but that includes fuel and water. That would be a minimal number. Joli's 5 tons is not a high number either. Solo single handers have done 3,000 lbs. As you say that's anything not bolted down. Fuel, water, and ground tackle add up fast but the little stuff seems to be a never ending list.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Paul's two tons per person sounds right. Our boat comes out of the water weighing about 3000 pounds over design displacement but that's without most of our provisions and no water in the tanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:01   #7

Here are my final figures for the boat: -

My pallet contains full offshore safety equipment (including a Para-achor and rode at 60KG), galley equipment and appliances, oilies, toolkit, fishing gear and other bits and pieces. This lot weigh's in at 500kg (1100lbs).
Then we have full fuel and water at 700kg and 350kg respectively, dinghy and outboard at just under 100kg, personal items 2 x 50kg, engine spares and oil at 80kg, liferaft 40kg, provisioning guestimated at 100kg so we are up to nearly 2000kg (4,400lbs) before we take in to account the bolted down extras such as generator, aircon, watermaker, additional fridge, davits, ground tackle, additional batteries etc.
The advertised displacement is 11000kg (24,200lbs) so I will be very interested what the boat actually weighs when it's on the crane!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:11   #8

You're not bringing any sails or running rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post

My pallet contains full offshore safety equipment (including a Para-achor and rode at 60KG), galley equipment and appliances, oilies, toolkit, fishing gear and other bits and pieces. This lot weigh's in at 500kg (1100lbs).
Then we have full fuel and water at 700kg and 350kg respectively, dinghy and outboard at just under 100kg, personal items 2 x 50kg, engine spares and oil at 80kg, liferaft 40kg, provisioning guestimated at 100kg so we are up to nearly 2000kg (4,400lbs) before we take in to account the bolted down extras such as generator, aircon, watermaker, additional fridge, davits, ground tackle, additional batteries etc.
The advertised displacement is 11000kg (24,200lbs) so I will be very interested what the boat actually weighs when it's on the crane!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
You're not bringing any sails or running rigging?
Na, I thought we would try the drifting about approach and see how far we got!!!

The running rigging, sails and mast I have presumed would be within the 11000kg displacement figure?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:17   #10

There are three

trains of thought.........

One is to build a heavy boat with a big rig. Payload then becomes a manageable percentage of the total.

Two is to build a light/simple boat and don't add stuff. Sail a spartan design and be disciplined enough to keep it that way.

Three is to build a very high tech boat (Gideon/Gunboat) to minimize ship weight but still allow some normality to the payload.

I'll be damned if I know what the correct train of thought is but all three types are out sailing today.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:19   #11

Oh? Think the builder included that weight? Are you sailing dacron, Pentex, or some varient of a modern laminate? How many sails will you carry? Mast yes, sails no.

Quote:
Na, I thought we would try the drifting about approach and see how far we got!!!

The running rigging, sails and mast I have presumed would be within the 11000kg displacement figure?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Oh? Think the builder included that weight? Are you sailing dacron, Pentex, or some varient of a modern laminate? How many sails will you carry? Mast yes, sails no.
We will be carrying the standard Quantum sail suite, fully battened main, 130% genoa plus a 155m2 1.5oz Gennaker. The only changes from standard we have made is the Harken Battcar system for the main track and all lines have been upgraded to Dyneema (Spectra).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:

Andy

ask the R & C people to put the boat on load cells , that is easy to do and will give you a much better figure of the actual weight. Cranes can be off as much as 10 % on their scale.
We separate the weight people bring with them and there is a difference between living on the boat or just a months vacation.
Personal goods for living aboard comes to 250 kilo per person
All the normal equipment one needs to live on a boat comes to another 250 total.
This includes all kitchen equipment etc.
The added weight for items like RIB outboard water maker etc a total of 420 kilo
so for 4 people a total of 1670 , that excludes provisions water diesel .
I always make sure on longer trips to have 2 liters of water , juices etc on board not counting the water in the tanks or the use of the water maker.
I normally only start to use this when I can smell land again.

Warm Greetings and happy and safe sailing with your fantastic Leopard

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:36   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
We will be carrying the standard Quantum sail suite, fully battened main, 130% genoa plus a 155m2 1.5oz Gennaker. The only changes from standard we have made is the Harken Battcar system for the main track and all lines have been upgraded to Dyneema (Spectra).
How about a storm jib and a smaller 2.2 Oz gennaker of around 80 meters for the night sails ?
That is advisable specially for the trip from SA to the Caribbean.
At night the wind comes up from 15/16 knots to 22/ 23 knots , you can almost set your watch to it .
2.2 oz is 50 % stronger and it can take a gust easy and 80 meters of sail area will work fine with 20 knots plus and you have a back up sail in case you tear your Genny.
The cost is minimal compared with the advantages
Make sure to carry 100 meters of extra halyard in Dyneema.
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote