Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 21:05   #61

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: What boatspeed should I expect, as a percentage of True wind?

Thanks for the extra photos. IMHO boats always look good when they have these plain, simple, clean lines like yours

From the link I posted earlier I copied just the Bluetooth info: https://shop.sailmon.com/product/ult...e-wind-sensor/

Bluetooth
Version: 4.0 or beyond
Range: Up to 50 m (free space)

It's really designed for smaller boats, so at the masthead may not work for you (maybe another location does?) but it might be worth sending an email to Sailmon anyway if you are interested.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 01:43   #62

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Hi SMJ.

I'm happy to hear generalities, or whatever input you have.

Tupaia: How long have you had this on your boat? I've looked at similar units, but reports were hard to find.

Cheers.
Paul.

It's been on the boat for 4 years now. I had an initial problem a couple of months in, due to an early unit. LJC remotely diagnosed and replaced the unit with an updated model no fuss or hassle. Their customer service was exemplary, responded quickly and talked me through the testing. This was a long distance fix. Since then it has run flawlessly.

Nice thing with these units they are compatible with lots of different core instrumentation. I think there is a wifi version.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 04:30   #63

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

That's good to hear, about the range of the range of the sailmon, and the reliability and customer service of the LJC.

Thanks guys, when it's time to replace ours, we'll certainly give the wireless versions a shot. We were going to do so, when we first rigged the boat last year, but with so many new things on the boat, and so much tweaking and troubleshooting issues with stuff, I was a little hesitant trying something "new", though not that new.

As usual, we found about 15% of our new stuff needed work, or replacement.. This was true for our last two boats, when we rebuilt them. So, nothing surprising there, but time consuming non the less.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 15-11-2020, 05:07   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
SMJ:

Thanks for those numbers. If you see me on the bay, please turn in the other direction. That boat's QUICK, in my books.

JMH2002:

Thank you for the compliment, we really appreciate it. We don't take a lot of photos, but here's a couple that I like.

Those instruments look pretty good, thanks for that too. I wonder how far the transmitter can be from the receiver? I seem to remember that Tack Tick had issues with tall masts... Just something to consider.

Cheers.
Paul.

Our TRT 1200 is an open bridgedeck racer/cruiser with a lightship of 6700 lbs. She’s a spartan cruiser as they put much more effort into the racer side than plush livability. I think your performance will be close to ours once you get your light air sails sorted.
I like the looks of the wind gauge but unsure if I want to ad more systems to the boat.....but it sure would be nice to have.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 06:57   #65

Nice boat SMJ. It looks really fast too.

I doubt we'll ever keep up to you, but I'm ok with that. Even if we had the fastest boat in the world, we wouldn't push it hard enough to show it's true potential. But the option is always there.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 15-11-2020, 08:00   #66
smj

Quote:
Nice boat SMJ. It looks really fast too.

I doubt we'll ever keep up to you, but I'm ok with that. Even if we had the fastest boat in the world, we wouldn't push it hard enough to show it's true potential. But the option is always there.

Cheers.

Paul.

I agree. To me a performance boat means the ability to sail well in light winds instead of motoring, not the top end speed.
Old 15-11-2020, 09:46   #67

Yes, that was our prime motivator. Fast in light winds.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 15-11-2020, 10:45   #68

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Yes, that was our prime motivator. Fast in light winds.

Cheers.
Paul.
This is the goal of all of us in this little performance catamaran club. Really enjoying this thread. Thank you for posting it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 12:49   #69

I don't see many cat anemometers mounted on stand-offs. Is there a reason for that? I would think upwash would be an issue.

I plan to use "wizzy, wizzy, floppy thing" in a sentence sometime in the future.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 13:10   #70

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa17 View Post
I don't see many cat anemometers mounted on stand-offs. Is there a reason for that? I would think upwash would be an issue.

I plan to use "wizzy, wizzy, floppy thing" in a sentence sometime in the future.

It’s cost. Is the added precision provided by the cleaner air flow needed on a cruising boat?
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 13:23   #71

I think it would depend on whether an accurate wind solution is data needed for autopilot functions.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 14:49   #72

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
It’s cost. Is the added precision provided by the cleaner air flow needed on a cruising boat?
I would suggest yes, if the data is thereafter being used for important functions (eg: as mentioned, autopilot) rather than just a cursory glance and a general "oh, it's blowing 20ish knots".

But I also don't think it's essential to buy one of the (very expensive) factory 'wands'. If there is sufficient cable length why not just run it up on an extension tube of one's own design (no different to how it runs up inside the mast) ?

Although I do admit that the size of the plug on the end of the end of the cable could proof troublesome.

But there are also various wireless options to consider these days too.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 15:19   #73

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Thanks Brent.

The board tweaking might help, but where I really need help is on mainsail trimming. I heard flat tops are easy to trim, but I can't believe they're as easy as it seems. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

The tell tales are most often doing just what I want them to do. I'm going to try to get them to flip to leeward more often, as I read that the mainsail should possibly be trimmed a little tighter than what the tell tales show. Though, every time I try it, I lose speed.

I'm also having luck with a very tight leech, and the main far to leeward, in 12 knots or so.

I've got to pay more attention to the foot tension too. I know I can do better.

I'm forever trimming the darn thing. On my old boat, I'd adjust it once an hour or two, or once a day offshore. On this one, I can't seem to stop tweaking! All of a sudden, a quarter of a knot means something...

I'm looking forward to sailing on a reach or a close reach, to see how things go.

Cheers for now.
Paul.

pretty good speed. 1 knot more than our L 400 in similar conditions loaded 2.5T of stuff.

probably you can squeeze bit more.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 15:23   #74
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
pretty good speed. 1 knot more than our L 400 in similar conditions loaded 2.5T of stuff.

probably you can squeeze bit more.

What speed?
Old 15-11-2020, 15:32   #75

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What speed?
see his original post . 10 kn wind at 75 app boat speed 7.5 kn. We can do 6.5 kn with gennaker.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, boat