Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 14:21   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: What Catamaran should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
I hate to say this, but on your budget a lot of the cats you'll see are probably made of plywood in somebodies' back yard. All fiberglass with a foam core is best if you can find one. The plywood boats tend to have a short shelf life if not meticulously maintained - no dings in the hull or deck gelcoat as plywood tends to rot and then disintegrate if it gets wet. You'd probably be better off with an older production boat - the Lagoon 38' gets pretty high marks from those that know.
Interesting, you denigrate ply then recommend balsa?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 14:34   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Interesting, you denigrate ply then recommend balsa?
I couldn't figure that out either?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 15:58   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I couldn't figure that out either?
Balsa and plywood have similar problems related to water intrusion. I recommended foam core but that's a newer method which may be out of the OP's budget. The Lagoon is at least built in a boat yard even if they do use Balsa coring. Obviously a Knysna or Seawind would be better but I don't think he can afford one at $150k Aud. The big difference is that Balsa is only used for coring and therefore nonstructural unlike boats that use plywood for bulkheads.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 17:27   #19

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1350

An Easy is a great choice, perfect entry level multi hull. Nice conservative sail plan means easy to learn and any mistakes won't be too dramatic. They are light boats and if you keep the weight down they sail very well. Being light also makes them a lot more forgiving. Twin engines make them very manoeuvrable and give redundancy.

Yes they are plywood but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider them. Almost everyone sailed plywood cats in the early days as there weren't other options. You just need to be vigilant for spongy patches which is the start of rot, but plywood boats are very easy to repair, catch any rot early and you won't have any issues at all. The only rot should be in areas above the waterline - the underside of flat decks is the usual place.

I had a 37 foot Easy for ten years living aboard and sailed solo up and down the Qld coast - great boats.

Your dreams sound fine to me - as long as you are aware that it is not all sunset sailing - there will be lots of work to maintain the boat, times when things break or fail and times when the weather is downright ugly. As long as you have the character and fortitude to face all of the bad as well as the good then go for it!
Smooth Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 18:30   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Balsa and plywood have similar problems related to water intrusion. I recommended foam core but that's a newer method which may be out of the OP's budget. The Lagoon is at least built in a boat yard even if they do use Balsa coring. Obviously a Knysna or Seawind would be better but I don't think he can afford one at $150k Aud. The big difference is that Balsa is only used for coring and therefore nonstructural unlike boats that use plywood for bulkheads.
I would go ply epoxy way in front of balsa polyester every day of the week, and twice on sunday
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 19:14   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

A Lagoon 380 or 40 or 400 would work well for condo comforts and safely sailing around the world. Check the various Youtube sailing channels to see how actual sailors walk the talk. Always use a reputable surveyor, and ask for survey samples to see how he/she checked out boats. Learn as you go, no one was born a sailor. The only thing to be careful about is sailing could be addictive; so have fun and enjoy.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 19:26   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Catamaran should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlo View Post
Thank you all for your replies!

In answer to the research question what would you think about something like this:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...jessica/249577

Also experience wise you could say I am a beginner and I would like something I could sail by myself if I have to.

Thanks in advance!
Nice little starter boat yard built.. if it gets through a survey she should be good for a few adventures.. glass and ply are generally okay if pro built, even home built Wharrams have circumnavigated..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 00:56   #23

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I would go ply epoxy way in front of balsa polyester every day of the week, and twice on sunday
Absolutely! Having had GRP and steel before, the latest boat is ply / epoxy and so far I’m really happy with it. Easy to fix some dock rash, feels solid yet lightweight, and having run a moisture meter all over it I’m pretty happy it’s a dry, solid boat.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 02:18   #24

I can't thank you all enough for all your feedback and advice I really appreciate it. With regards to the whole experience thing I sailed at school and we raced puffin pacers. I know it's a completely different ballgame but a friend that raced with me went on to do 10 Sydney to Hobarts so it is my hope he will come out when I buy a boat and teach me a thing or two. I'd plan on taking it slow and learning along the way - maybe even document it as I work online with social media pages anyway!

I definitely know it's not all clear sailing I've actually been living on a house boat for the last 6 months to see how I like life on the water and I have to say the only thing I don't like is the fact that I can't pick up anchor and move up the Coast.

With regards to the comments with ply rotting would a survey pick up on that? That Easy I linked was built in 2006 but could 'new paint job' mean they are covering issues up or would that be purely for aesthetics for selling it?

I'd love to spend more, I saw a fountaine pajot (any opinions on those appreciated) for $240k which maybe I could afford if I completely liquidated but I would have $0 left over and everyone always goes on about how expensive the upkeep is. I figure something for $150k leaves money in the bank for a rainy day.

The smart thing to do would be save for another year but I want to go now.
dowlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 02:48   #25

Boat: Custom Catamaran

All good mate.

I wouldn’t worry about the Easy being an ‘06 or the new paint job - there’s a lot of much older ply/epoxy cats out there still sailing fine. A surveyor running a moisture meter over the boat will pick up any bad spots (regardless of paint age) and they’ll also likely do a hammer test to check it as well.

Your approach is a solid one as well... sure, getting a brand new cat would be amazing but do you really want to be broke / working another 5 years to pay for it? For your sort of sailing, a mid-30’s ply/epoxy cat will do just fine and happily get you all over Aus, SE Asia and some islands in the South Pacific (look up Tim Weston’s vids on YT for more about this) with plenty of cash in the kitty for beers on the back deck. Yacht hub’s got some great boat’s on it at the mo, and there’ll likely be more pop up as winter approaches.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 03:34   #26

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I knew what I wanted in a Cat, but couldnt afford to buy one in Australia,
I could buy one, But I would be broke after it,
I had two lined up with all the bells and whistles ready to go,
One in San Deago and one in Fiji,
The one in Fiji I thought I could manage to get it home on my own,,
The one in San Deago was a bit far for even me to handle for my first ocean Voyage,

Both Boats were Identical,
Gemini 105MC,
They are under 100 Grand USD, at the moment,

I still had to learn to sail it before I sailed it home single handed,
I was a sailing novice at the time,,
Plan B, Drive it home on the diesel at 7 knots and Island hop for diesel,
I had 750 Nmiles of diesel on board, Plus sails,

I have done 4000 Nmiles in it so far, and a few very wild storms,
Including one very wild storm In Bass Strait,
Im about to go around OZ in it,
Its 14 feet wide and 34 foot long,
Its GRP,

Gemini's from 2003 to 2010 are the ones to choose from,
Mines currently in Westernport Bay Victoria,

Cheers Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat flags 007.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	230776  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 06:01   #27

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

Good morning. I have a 35' Endeavor Victory that is ready to go. It is listed for $147k. It can be seen on www.lapazcruiserssupply.com
She is located in La Paz Mexico.
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:04   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I've had two plywood tris skinned with glass. Both had come from Europe to the US on their own bottoms. Not a problem with either.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:05   #29

Not sure of the “Perfect Boat” but as to your “experience” I am reminded of the excellent YouTube Videos from Gone with the Wynn’s. This young (compared to me) couple sold their big RV (recreational vehicle) and shopped for a catamaran with ZERO sailing experience.
They have absolutely Crushed It!
They are covering the World.
The simple Life Lesson you may take away from their process is Go For It!!
Be well.
Muskietime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 06:37   #30

Boat: lagoon

there is a great book- catamarans by Gregor Tarjan. I wish I had read it before i made I purchased my first 2 boats,

I'm on my 6th multihull!
eburns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran