Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2021, 08:16   #16

Re: What is the oyster marine of the catamarans? It's personal

You are looking for catamarans built like the Polina Star III????
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 08:30   #17

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

This is the question of OP:
“What is the catamaran builder whose quality, seaworthiness, philosophy is nearest to the boats of OYster Marine (especially the turn of the century ones).”

Polina Star III disaster happened after the sale of the Oyster yard and under management of the new financially oriented management (read cost-cutters).
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 08:30   #18

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

My neighbors have a Balance 526 and I'm impressed. Everything I've seen shows quality and speed.
Old 16-05-2021, 08:36   #19

I see a lack of the other, and smaller , So. African builders being mentioned. Leopard pumps out at least a dozen boats per week during high production times. I would consider the custom and semi custom builders first. For semi custom, look at Maverick Yachts of So. Africa, which are made near Cape Town in the order of 2 or 3 per year to your specifications for most things. The basic hull and cabin lay outs are standard but tweakable to a minor degree and you choose everything else and get weekly build updates with pictures and descriptions. and emails and chats with the builder. They are roomy, solid, safe, high quality and as high end as you can afford, but admirably nice at the basic level. Disclaimer is due here, as I own a 3 yr old 40' Maverick custom 400 after looking for 5 yrs at boat shows in the U.S. Knysna and St. Francis are also to be considered and may be fully custom.
If used boat sales are any indication of value and durability/high quality, most used and well maintained Mavericks are selling for the near the same original price paid.
Enjoy the buying process and interview the builders and ask to be in touch with current owners for their direct feedback.
jmastal70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 08:56   #20

Quote:
I wanted to visit some Beneteau, Jeannot, and other French yards, but I was not exactly looking very rich, and I got snobbed in the most insolent way.
Strangely enough, the sales people of Oyster did not snob me and took time on their lunch pause to show me their boats, although I did not know a thing about blue sailing (or sailing for that matter).
They did not snob you because some of the very rich are not snazzy dressers. You could have been one of those people
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:00   #21

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois1er View Post
Hello everybody
What is the catamaran builder whose quality, seaworthiness, philosophy is nearest to the boats of OYster Marine (especially the turn of the century ones)
The question may sound ludicrous, but I love the Oysters, and I would seriously consider buying one if it had two hulls.
My wife will only accompany me on the sea on a catamaran, and I must say, I like them much more too.
But roughly 25 years ago, I was in long term unemployment, running out of money, ideas and hope. I was living in Düsseldorf, and we got free tickets to the Boots fair.
I wanted to visit some Beneteau, Jeannot, and other French yards, but I was not exactly looking very rich, and I got snobbed in the most insolent way. (I am from Périgord, France, and I never forget a slight)

Strangely enough, the sales people of Oyster did not snob me and took time on their lunch pause to show me their boats, although I did not know a thing about blue sailing (or sailing for that matter).
I immediately fell in love with this type sailboat, (and I am immensely grateful to Oyster and their salespeople)

Now, I had a lot of chance professionally, and I am starting to look for a bigger catamaran (I own a sirocco 26 from Prout)

Which catamaran builder who be nearest to Oyster in terms of philosophy, interior etc.?

Bon vent à tout le monde!

François
For Euro boats. I'd say Outremer, Privelage, Discovery and Garcia (aluminum). These are all 2 million Usd plus. There are many interesting catamaran companies in South Africa that offer semi custom boats for a bit less. The big key is; how long do you have to wait? New cats require about two years for completion (often longer) due to high demand which is why a lot of people opt for the Lagoons, FP's and Leopards (something they can get quickly). Comparing Oysters to Benies and Jenies is like comparing an A/C Cobra to a Mustang - they're just not in the same class. The Seawinds look like nice boats but they are built in Viet Nam by Australian designers to save cost and make them more affordable (something that doesn't seem to interest the big four, built in Europe with much higher labor costs)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:29   #22

Boat: Perry Antrim 52 Cat

I’ve owned Leopards and FPs and agree that they are great production boats. Now I own an older ‘94 custom Perry Antrim. I’d suggest looking at the Balance line. They are well build and designed by a team that has sailed and sold many different cats

Also check out the Excel line which a friend has. Lots of customization opportunity in that line I think. It’s on the heavy end but seems to be designed to carry heavy loads. Chris White’s Atlantics, which I love and sail like a dream, apply his philosophy of sailing light and fast. The various wing masts he’s experimented with are intriguing. The Balance is somewhere between the two and carry weight well but are very well thought out for sailing and blue water cruising. Ultimately, it will come down to how you and your wife expect to use the cat, and budget. Make the decision to go to cats is the single most important decision
LittleWingRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:32   #23

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

+1 for Antares, Discovery & Privilege.

The one area where it is tough to make a comparison is styling. I love my Antares but I don't think there is a cat around that can compare to the (exterior) styling of most Oysters. To my eye the traditional bluewater monohull styling ethos has never been translated to a cat.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 09:36   #24

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

Get your facts straight. Not the cost-cutters were the problem. The owner decided at the last moment to want to have a 5 feet longer boat. And that does not work without a redesign and calculation of the loads. They were also pressed for time because the owner wanted to have that boat in its newest fashion and the contract date of the shorter version. So better blame the obnoxious Russian oligarch
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 12:01   #25

Boat: Prout Event 34

St Francis?
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 12:13   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Privilege for sure maybe followed by Ita, HH, and McConaghy.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 14:34   #27

Boat: Oyster 66

Discovery make the best cats with regard to the quality of fit out. Then Privilege. Then it gets light, flimsy and sometimes tacky.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 15:34   #28

Some friends have a ‘Dolphin’ catamaran which is purdy floofy, probably what op is wanting

https://www.multihulls-world.com/review/catamaran/dolphin-460-an-owner-s-catamaran
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 16:40   #29

Could some one describe for the ignorant (that's me, but I suspect others) just what were the outstanding features of the Oysters when compared to similarly priced/performance etc. other boats. e.g. were they full of really innovative design features, were they built to last, were they really ergonomic, were they "palatial" or sparse etc.? Did the Oyster features apply across a range of boats?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 20:50   #30

Boat: Lightwave 38

I would also look at a Perry and or a Lightwave, 45 ft? How big do you want to go?? Both cats are very well made to your requirements, I would like to upgrade with the new 45 Lightwave. I have the 38ft sailing Asia at the moment.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, marine, oyster