Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2019, 05:23   #1

What is your opinion on these 3 cats?

2004 Gemini 105Mc

1995 American Multihulls Renaissance 320XL

1999 Leopard 38

Just looking at a few cats that are in my price range to pay cash for and since I'm unfamiliar with the brands if you could share a little about them.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 06:20   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: What is your opinion on these 3 cats?

I'd pick the Leopard for offshore sailing. The Gem has a fairly narrow beam and is known for being tender but on the other hand it is amazing how practical the livability is and it will fit in a standard slip. I don't know anything about the other one.
Old 16-03-2019, 07:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I'd pick the Leopard for offshore sailing. The Gem has a fairly narrow beam and is known for being tender but on the other hand it is amazing how practical the livability is and it will fit in a standard slip. I don't know anything about the other one.
The Gemini I have emailed the Owner because he has it listed on classifieds and online under a broker. He told me he would cut me a deal for 55k cash if I bought it directly, but I have not seen the boat first hand. He said it was previously a charter boat before he bought it and his health is taking him away from owning a boat, but kinda worries me if he has been neglecting it.

The leopard is located in another country, so it would have to be bought international, which I've never bought anything long distance like that.
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 07:57   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Imho,

The leopard is the best (for my definition) of the bunch, the Gemini would be a close second (if I was planning the Bahamas). The AMI has always held the bottom rung of the ladder position in my mind.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 08:22   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you need air conditioning the Leopard can handle the weight better if you don't go crazy. For the Gem I would do a Honda gen and one of those portable household ACs.
There are many marine escrow companies. They do international transfers just about daily. Set it up, they hold the money, process relevant paperwork and transfer ownership. I think it costs a few grand and is well worth it.
Are you in the US and is the Gem here. If it's state titled then it's like buying a car. If it's documented then it's a little more complicated but doable.
Old 16-03-2019, 13:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by storx View Post
The Gemini I have emailed the Owner because he has it listed on classifieds and online under a broker. He told me he would cut me a deal for 55k cash if I bought it directly, but I have not seen the boat first hand. He said it was previously a charter boat before he bought it and his health is taking him away from owning a boat, but kinda worries me if he has been neglecting it.

The leopard is located in another country, so it would have to be bought international, which I've never bought anything long distance like that.
55k looks like pretty good deal for 2004 Gemini...He must dropped 30-40% off asking price. I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with this boat. If you want to sail on weekends and keep it in a marina, Gemini would be more budget friendly because you can fit into a standard size dock. For full time cruising Leopard would be a better choice due to higher capacity and size
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 10:41   #7

Leopard..great South African cat. But how much vs the Gemini. Also allow for import duties, etc
bushytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 10:49   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What is your intended use?

Ive sailed lots of Leopards and a few Geminis including the 105. The AMI Ive not sailed.

The Leopard is well proven full sized robust cruising cat. It is definately the more comfortable of the two, with more room for additional systems/storage, and sails reasonably well for a cruising boat.

The 105 is not as roomy and the Geminis always seem disconcerting lightly/cheaply built to me, but that said they sail quite well. The 105 does very well in light air, way better than the Leopard. It also has an unusual track on the bow to which the forestay attaches. This allows the tack to be moved easily, which makes the genoa usable deeper off the wind. Pretty clever.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 11:31   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

55k for a 2004 Gemini 105Mc ??? I'd have to see it person to make that call......

If it was in any kind of mediocre to good shape, it would be snapped up by an informed buyer.

As the others have asked, your sailing intentions could dictate your choice. Our cruising is done in Florida and the Bahamas. For this venue, there is no better boat than the Gemini 105Mc.

One thing about Gemini's to watch for is the original options, like the cockpit enclosure, sling seat, davits. For some reason, many purchasers of these, as new, did not include them. I'm not sure why.

Someone mentioned the A/C. Ours came equipped with the factory option.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 12:54   #10

Another upgrade to our boat has been the addition of a real mattress in the main berth.

You can order a "queen short" mattress from an RV supplier. Fits perfectly in the boat and sheets are readily available as well.

One small detail in a sea of details..............
Old 17-03-2019, 14:31   #11

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Another upgrade to our boat has been the addition of a real mattress in the main berth.

You can order a "queen short" mattress from an RV supplier. Fits perfectly in the boat and sheets are readily available as well.

One small detail in a sea of details.............. [emoji3]
We found the manufacturer of our mattress at home also had the same mattress in a queen short. So our RV is really like we never left home, makes a huge difference in livability. I will absolutely buy another one for the next boat.
Old 17-03-2019, 18:37   #12

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

If you purchase the Gemini, you will be wanting the bigger boat. Purchase the Leapord and it will be your forever boat. Pay the money up front and enjoy for a lifetime. A couple can live on a Leopard but not on a Gemini. I do believe the Leopard will hold its value better. Hire a captain to bring it back with some friends.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 18:55   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
If you purchase the Gemini, you will be wanting the bigger boat. Purchase the Leapord and it will be your forever boat. Pay the money up front and enjoy for a lifetime. A couple can live on a Leopard but not on a Gemini. I do believe the Leopard will hold its value better. Hire a captain to bring it back with some friends.

Had friends that were husband and wife with 2 young daughters and 3 large dogs and they were living aboard one of the older Gemini 3000’s. You may not be able to live on a Gemini but plenty do.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 04:37   #14

Quote:
A couple can live on a Leopard but not on a Gemini.
Complete BS........ Where does this crap come from........
Old 18-03-2019, 05:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post

One small detail in a sea of details..............
That's what we did on our 1996 Gemini. It was a wrassling match to get it in but once in a very nice fit and far more comfortable than a foam pad.

Amazingly we lived on it for 9 years, contrary to what some say is possible.

PS: Assuming there are no major flaws, if you don't bite at $55k, please send the guys info. We are a couple years out before planning to get another but at that price, we might be tempted to get it early.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the leopard but I would be even more shocked to find on in the $55k price range. Getting it home and dealing with the overseas, make sure to factor in extra cost for that. We had a Catalac 10m we picked up in Spain for a few years and it was doable but a bit of a hassle doing it remotely. Travel to check it out can add a few thousand and if you don't sail it home, it can easily add $20-30k to ship (we had looked at shipping our Gemini to Europe and it was going to be around $11k...hence the switch to a boat already in Europe)

That brings up another thought...not a deal breaker by any means but is the Leopard wired for 110v or 220v? There are work arounds but another cost/complication to consider.

Not too familiar with the Renisance...I don't think they made many (at least not that we've seen in the states).

But really, what are you planning to do with the boat?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote