Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 09:15   #16

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: What kind of cat is this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sean View Post
I've been looking for a good deal on a blue water cruiser to start circumnavigation next year. I have about a year to prepare so I don't mind a project. I've been seeing this cat for over a year docked behind someone's house and was just told that the owner may be willing to sell. Before knocking on his door I wanted to see if it would fit my needs. Can anyone tell me what it is??
Like for a mate, good look is great but it's not enough "Three crew and dog rescued by US Coast Guard after 53ft catamaran ‘broke in half’ off the coast of Florida
Read more at

Rescue after catamaran 'broke in half'

All this to say, multihulls are subjected to impressive stresses in not so calm seas, when one hull is up there & the other one is god knows where... I love multihulls to go up & down the West Indies or as a live-aboard... But I don't know if I would plan a round the world cruise in one. "Cruising" multihull designers try to play it safe by reducing the sail area, knowing anyway that most "sailors" will turn the engine on if they drop under 5 knots...
Down here, we see a lot of charter cats motoring UPWIND & DOWNWIND Often you have to choose between seaworthiness & volume. Outremer used to built excellent offshore catamarans, but even them have changed their designs under the pressure of charter fleet managers... Good luck !
http://www.catamaran-outremer.com/fr...le/Outremer-45
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outremer45.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	99349  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 16:26   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Like for a mate, good look is great but it's not enough "Three crew and dog rescued by US Coast Guard after 53ft catamaran ‘broke in half’ off the coast of Florida
Read more at

All this to say, multihulls are subjected to impressive stresses in not so calm seas, when one hull is up there & the other one is god knows where... I love multihulls to go up & down the West Indies or as a live-aboard... But I don't know if I would plan a round the world cruise in one. "Cruising" multihull designers try to play it safe by reducing the sail area, knowing anyway that most "sailors" will turn the engine on if they drop under 5 knots...
Down here, we see a lot of charter cats motoring UPWIND & DOWNWIND Often you have to choose between seaworthiness & volume. Outremer used to built excellent offshore catamarans, but even them have changed their designs under the pressure of charter fleet managers... Good luck !
yeah,

you will be taking a real risk with a catamaran of it breaking in half. particually with an Outremer.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:01   #18

Boat: 1976 - Iroquois - MKIIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
No This is a Gunboat Just launched in Cali
Saw that Gunboat this past weekend while eating at Shoreline Village. Where is it headed? Would love to take a peek aboard! I am in Shoreline Marina.
toddbrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:12   #19

Quote:
Read more at

Serious drivel.

A few years back, several crewmembers were rescued when their America's cup yacht broke in half in quite benign conditions. So to use your logic, every monohull becomes a deathtrap when winds get up to around 20 knots?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbrsd View Post
Saw that Gunboat this past weekend while eating at Shoreline Village. Where is it headed? Would love to take a peek aboard! I am in Shoreline Marina.
It is in Cabo now and beat Phedo in the Newport - Cabo race.
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 01:09   #21

It looks a lot like a Grainger 45....made by Lightwave yachts in Coomera Queensland Australia.

It's a great boat comes with either minikeels or dagger boards or both ....

Fast , good volume and well built ...

Google Lightwave yachts or cats .... if I'm incorrect ...sorry

Cosmic Gift
Cosmic Gift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 02:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Gift View Post
It looks a lot like a Grainger 45....made by Lightwave yachts in Coomera Queensland Australia.

It's a great boat comes with either minikeels or dagger boards or both ....

Fast , good volume and well built ...

Google Lightwave yachts or cats .... if I'm incorrect ...sorry

Cosmic Gift
definitely not a Lightwave 45. Grainger 48 possibly.
Old 25-03-2015, 05:21   #23

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Serious drivel. A few years back, several crewmembers were rescued when their America's cup yacht broke in half in quite benign conditions. So to use your logic, every monohull becomes a deathtrap when winds get up to around 20 knots?
Hi ! You can't compare a pure America cup racing sailboat (Not one but two went down like that, broken in two http://youtu.be/8Yau9A7XDHs I can't fin the other one; I think it was the sparring-partner of the Oracle challenger for it was all black) to what our friend is looking for i.e. a cruising catamaran that he can sail towards the sunset, with his family, drinking Piña colada When you compare round the world racing catamarans & the charter contraptions that go up & down the windward islands your comparing apples & tennis balls !
To live aboard, catamarans are a dream & all cat owners will remind me (Too poor to own one*) that we all spend ten time more days at anchorage than sailing anyway... As long as you're realistic about the performance of your dream boat, go ahead

*$40K got me off offshore ready with a perfect 1987 Ericson 34... I would need $100K & up to get myself a cat I would dare to take offshore across the Gulfstream in December
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RacingCat.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	99396   Click image for larger version

Name:	CruisingCat.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	99397  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 05:42   #24

Boat: solaris 42 1978

cats breaking in half ?? when i first bought mine a had a good friend that had benn living on his boat 12 years he taught me a lot , i had been on a really nice cat that had been one of those that were designed for rentals ,, i commented to my friend how nice , open , a roomy it was ,, he commented then your boat is 3 times the boat his is ,, that boat would break in half in the north atlantic storms that which your boat is built for ,, made me feel good about her ,, 42 solaris ,, for sale here in the classified section ,, great boat my last hurrah i have swallowed the anchor ..
svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 14:59   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Outremer used to built excellent offshore catamarans, but even them have changed their designs under the pressure of charter fleet managers... Good luck !
What absolute rubbish. Not a single O45 or indeed )51 or 5X has been placed in a charter fleet in our part of the world, and we are current O dealer of the year..

Talk about ill informed drivel.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 15:56   #26

Quote:
Read more at

You clearly don't understand the nature and story behind the sinking of that particular vessel which bears no similarity to any production charter cats. Suggest you check. As for your comments about Outremer a manufacturer with more circumnavigating cats than most. As others have suggested. Pure drivel.