Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2023, 07:01   #1

What options exist that match a NEEL 43 the closest?

Hi! Just finished the multihull show and I was blown away by the NEEL 43. It's agile, it's sleek, yet it retains all the live aboard equipment I'm looking for. The cabin layout is totally inappropriate for charter and leisure - GREAT - since I will be soloing or with a friend 100% of the time, I only need ONE toilet. And that engine room - oh my - a geek's paradise.

I was wondering - are there alternatives that maintain that same hull design, interior organization and 'bare' looks (some jokingly call it the floating tupperware). But it happens that's exactly what I'm going for.

So, I was wondering, what other options are on the market. I want to make my broker work for his salary, but I trust this community more

Thank you!
ScienceSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 12:22   #2

Re: What options exist that match a NEEL 43 the closest?

In the past you were looking for boats to spend lots of time out in the open ocean. Maybe that has changed, and the Neel is a nice boat, but that is NOT what it is made for.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2023, 18:13   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Rapido 40 which is more a classic trimaran style, then you could get one custom built plenty of plans out there. Personally a bare bones 40-44ft dagger board cat would be a better choice, two engines are one of their big advantages in a practical sense rather than economic sense.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 03:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
In the past you were looking for boats to spend lots of time out in the open ocean. Maybe that has changed, and the Neel is a nice boat, but that is NOT what it is made for.
mmmh... care to elaborate? I spent 4 hours visiting it, filming it, talking to multiple reps, an entire chain of people to refit parts of it, and 4 days on site, and was assured by everyone it was 'perfect' for that purpose. Did I get lied to?
Old 20-04-2023, 03:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Rapido 40 which is more a classic trimaran style, then you could get one custom built plenty of plans out there. Personally a bare bones 40-44ft dagger board cat would be a better choice, two engines are one of their big advantages in a practical sense rather than economic sense.
Thank you but while the rapido is a beautiful boat, it offers considerably smaller storage/living space than the neel.
Old 20-04-2023, 04:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What options exist that match a NEEL 43 the closest?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-164789.html

Post number 6 from the owner..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 06:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceSailor View Post
mmmh... care to elaborate? I spent 4 hours visiting it, filming it, talking to multiple reps, an entire chain of people to refit parts of it, and 4 days on site, and was assured by everyone it was 'perfect' for that purpose. Did I get lied to?
The NEEL is a great coastal cruiser, it is not what most would consider a blue water boat. It is a charter boat level quality that is very heavy and made of polyester/balsa that sails slightly better than an average Lagoon or Leopard, but it has the disadvantage of the draft of monohull.

If you are island hopping in the Bahamas or Caribbean, then go for it. If you are crossing oceans, I'd keep looking.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 15:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Thank you but while the rapido is a beautiful boat, it offers considerably smaller storage/living space than the neel.
Which is why the Rapid is a vastly superior sailing boat
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 01:36   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Which is why the Rapid is a vastly superior sailing boat
that’s a good question for the OP. How much weight, exactly, are you adding to the boats? Exactly how much does the equipment weigh? And then we can use standard figures for everything else.

and OP, of course all of the sales people told you that the boat is perfect for you. Lol they saw you coming a kilometer away.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 09:34   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Did I get lied to?
What do you think is the job of a sales rep at shows, especially with an economic downturn on the horizon and rough times ahead?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 20:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
The NEEL is a great coastal cruiser, it is not what most would consider a blue water boat. It is a charter boat level quality that is very heavy and made of polyester/balsa that sails slightly better than an average Lagoon or Leopard, but it has the disadvantage of the draft of monohull.

If you are island hopping in the Bahamas or Caribbean, then go for it. If you are crossing oceans, I'd keep looking.
Sorry to revive an old thread but some of the misinformation in this reply should be addressed.

I grant you the quality of the Neel is debatable But to say it is 'very heavy and made of polyester/balsa that sails slightly better than an average Lagoon or Leopard' is just nonsense. The displacement for reference is about on par with an HH44, so not heavy by modern standards. A lagoon 42 is 3 tons heavier.

It's also very clear that Neel has never used balsa in any of it's boats and the 43 is no different.

As far as speed. It's not as fast as the Rapido or a performance cat like the Marsudon ORC But by all accounts it gets to 10knots quite easily with genoa and main. It came third in the recent ARC while the neel 45 and 47 have won previous ARCs. For the mass market the NEEL is a performance oriented boat.

Not a NEEL fanboy. The new Seawind 1170 is at a similar price point So I would recommend that as an alternative.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 07:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but some of the misinformation in this reply should be addressed.

I grant you the quality of the Neel is debatable But to say it is 'very heavy and made of polyester/balsa that sails slightly better than an average Lagoon or Leopard' is just nonsense. The displacement for reference is about on par with an HH44, so not heavy by modern standards. A lagoon 42 is 3 tons heavier.

It's also very clear that Neel has never used balsa in any of it's boats and the 43 is no different.

As far as speed. It's not as fast as the Rapido or a performance cat like the Marsudon ORC But by all accounts it gets to 10knots quite easily with genoa and main. It came third in the recent ARC while the neel 45 and 47 have won previous ARCs. For the mass market the NEEL is a performance oriented boat.

Not a NEEL fanboy. The new Seawind 1170 is at a similar price point So I would recommend that as an alternative.
If you ask any knowledge sailing professional what their opinion is of the ARC results and the accuracy as to using this data to judge a catamaran’s performances capabilities, hey will universally tell you it’s a complete joke and to ignore anything you read. It’s a rally not a race where motoring is allowed and “occasionally” self reported. There also is no upwind component to the race. Any consumer using the ARC data to make a purchasing decision is being misled. Is there any other race data available for these boats competing in an actual competition? Nope, they’d be demolished and the nice story would fall apart.

That being said, I did go check and you are correct and I was wrong, Neel uses Polyester and foam core, not Polyester and balsa. As for the overall quality, we each get to make our own judgement, I’d simply encourage potential customers to do their due diligence, the information is out there.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote