Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 21:02   #46

Re: What Size To Haul All Our Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalters View Post
Boatman61: The only Jongerts under a Mill are 35-40 years old,and have a 10' draft. Newer ones with the garage you love,cost from $2-3 M.
Wow, these are the beasts! But I'm still multihull lover

Quote:
I don't see how a few boards and kayaks,and the odd oil change on a PWC will be a ball and chain.
We heard the same thing when going from 50' to 70'+
Take out the PWC and it's what every cruising boat has anyways.
Yes there will be more of the systems,but that also gives back up. If your one and only crapper gives up the ghost-what then? But when you have 2 or 3 or 4..fix it whenever you feel like.
Like I've said quite a few times,we want and need space and fun things so friends and family can enjoy life too...just spreadin' the good times around. Others may enjoy having 4 or 5 or 6 extra people jammed into a 45' cat with little else to do,but we don't.
Besides, what do other cruisers with small boats and less maintenance to do when at anchor-stare out at the waves and clouds,drink all the time...what?

We love doing things and yes that includes maintenance. My wife can do anything I can do on the boat,and many things better as I'm welll over 6' tall and don't fit everywhere.And It's good to have a sense of achievement,rather then sitting around all day and doing SFA.

Besides,guests know when they show up there's going to be stuff that needs to be done,it's not a lay-around-and-be-fed-and-entertained sort of thing.
When a big boat needs to washed and cleaned,3 people can get a lot done in 3 hours. Especially when they know something good will happen later on.
Very well said! Very similar to my thinking.
Regarding PWC - many people don't realize that not all PWC are equal. For example, Seadoo Spark's weight is under 200kg. Any decent size cat will easily carry 2 of them, as long as there's space to store them. And that's where size of the cat and smart floor space becomes extremely important.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 09:31   #47

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

A Lagoon 420 could carry all your toys, they are great load carriers. Lose the mast, sails and rigging and you've got a good powercat for a reasonable price.
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Very well said! Very similar to my thinking.
Regarding PWC - many people don't realize that not all PWC are equal. For example, Seadoo Spark's weight is under 200kg. Any decent size cat will easily carry 2 of them, as long as there's space to store them. And that's where size of the cat and smart floor space becomes extremely important.
We have two 3 seater PWCs,which undoubtedly raises ire here and ZFG but there is no better way to go places.
Thanks for the idea on the Sparks...didn't realize they were that light.
Am very happy with the Yamahas (the most reliable PWC) but they're 700 pounds each.

In going big,space is not the issue but weight. We are willing to give up one PWC if weight is the issue,but 2 Sparks weigh just 100 pounds more than one Yamaha....and the Sparks are a foot shorter.
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 13:42   #49

Quote:
In going big,space is not the issue but weight. We are willing to give up one PWC if weight is the issue,but 2 Sparks weigh just 100 pounds more than one Yamaha....and the Sparks are a foot shorter.
One more possible solution, if you have dinghy onboard - using jetski as motor for dinghy. The only problem - finding (or building) smaller and lighter version of this "Sealver". Smallest Sealver is 5.25m and 350kg, which is too much.

BTW, if someone knows smaller version of this (even custom built), please let me know.

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 16:23   #50

There is or was several of those around,I fool around with importing stuff from China and recall seeing on offer there. It's all made there anyways.

Google images: wave boats

Have a Seadoo Challenger 180,great little boat but not thrilled with the idea of a tow.
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size