Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 09:04   #31

Re: What to Watch out for: Buying a boat from Moorings/SunSail

If you can get Bill Bailey or someone from his outfit (Caribbean Marine Surveyors, Road town) have the boat surveyed as quickly as possible. Previous comments about your negotiating position put you at a disadvantage but....
At least, while Moorings is taking care of whatever it is they are going to do, you'll be able to get whatever needs to be done done. Good luck.
1Jazzsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:22   #32

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant1 View Post
Do you or anyone you know have any experience with the Tortola Moorings station?
Yes I bought a Lagoon 410S2 from Tortola Moorings in 2014. It was a very good experience and after 1.5 years of cruising and adding cruising bits sold it for more that I paid for it as it was ready to go.

My .02 are be very clear in writing the exact details what is agreed upon. Do not take or make verbal agreements. Everyone has a perspective so just getting it in writing helps avoid missed expectations.

Oh..trust..yes..they are trustworthy. I would have zero doubts and would likely get my next yacht from them specifically. For one to give my $$ to a reputable group and because of the value and experience of the last purchase.

The refit group there are damn good but they work fast so again have very clear documented expectations and once it comes out of there go. What’s not done you will need to do but don’t expect to hang around and nitpick it should have been documented up front and done before you pay. That’s another thing. Nothing talks louder that $$$ so get all the expectations done before money changes hands and don’t alter it after.

Everyone is super friendly and accommodating but just remember it’s a business and get in get out get it in writing.

I already saw at least one reply about value of a private owners version..I saw a lot of owners versions and private yachts before doing the ex charter. I have zero regrets and like I said it sold to the first buyer who saw it for just over what I paid. How? Because the hull was basically emptied at the base and every through hull replaced and every item on the survey replaced or fixed (mostly replaced) sails still in great shape..a yacht needs to be used and things replaced over time. So the ugly duckling can become a swan in that moorings yard. Way better than an older owners version where things you can’t see haven’t seen any or much attention due to its location. Of course surveys will show these things so yes But the idea a charter is worth less because it gets used is nonsense if the yacht is well maintained. Stuff in the sea that sits goes downhill fast IMHO and that year and a half on it was Puerto Rico to Grenada and back all at anchor and with a family of four aboard it was a very good purchase. Way more affordable than all private ones for sale at the time.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 13:50   #33

It is my understanding that charter boats are equipped with shorter masts to make up for less experienced crew. This effectively keeps a permanent reef in both sails which slows the boat down quite a bit. I would definitely compare the specs.
bclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 16:26   #34

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm8545 View Post
I just purchased a 2015 Leopard 44 from The Moorings in BVI, purchase was all virtual because of the travel restrictions, after all of the paperwork was completed they had a skipper deliver to St. Thomas where I flew down to pickup later that afternoon.

Checked things out and was quite surprised as The Moorings added a few things to make my Shakeout cruise a bit better:
1. Fueled up and water topped off
2. New 10 passenger Viking life raft.
3. Fully stocked with cookware and bed/bath, just as if you were going on a charter.
4. Dingy and outboard for a small fee.
5. All safety gear and navigation aids.

Dealt directly with The Moorings broker Bill Regan and could not be any happier with purchase. Great price and Bill helped all the way and kept track of journey via AIS.

My "Shakeout Cruise" was from St. Thomas to Kemah, TX. 2024 nautical miles, dodging two hurricanes and a few squalls with only a broken alternator belt and a couple of lines along the way to fix.

Would deal with them again.
Thank you for your note. Who did you have do your survey? did you have anyone oversee the work done post survey/pre delivery? Was all the 'fully stocked' stuff they provided new or used?
Errant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant1 View Post
Thank you for your note. Who did you have do your survey? did you have anyone oversee the work done post survey/pre delivery? Was all the 'fully stocked' stuff they provided new or used?
Hi
I worked with Geoffrey Williams of West Indies Marine Surveyors and he was tough and thoroughly anal with them, went back about four times to make sure things were fixed correctly.

geoff@westindiesmarinesurveyors.com
tm8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 14:10   #36

My family and I are considering the purchase of a powercat from the moorings fleet. I have not made offer and just recently inquired. Want to make sure I get a great deal on a great boat! Any additional advice would be helpful. I tried to PM people who would be knowledgeable however because I am a new member I am restricted.

Want to make sure I go about doing this the right way with my eyes wide open and no surprises.

This is one of the boats we are considering.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...ercat-2822767/

Thanks

Chris
apollo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, mooring, sail