Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2023, 07:36   #1

What's the average groundspeed for a Bali Catspace 40?

Yes, I'm a pilot.

I am planning a BVI sailing trip for February 2023 and I'd like to be able to calculate trip leg's durations.

Does anyone have a good estimate of the average speed over water for Bali Catspace 40?

Many thanks all.
varocketry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 08:26   #2

Re: What's the average groundspeed for a Bali Catspace 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varocketry View Post
Yes, I'm a pilot.

I am planning a BVI sailing trip for February 2023 and I'd like to be able to calculate trip leg's durations.

Does anyone have a good estimate of the average speed over water for Bali Catspace 40?

Many thanks all.
There are not really any passages in the BVI's that take much planning other than a trip out to Anegada and the return back. That being said, when you are going anywhere to windward you'll be motoring, so figure 6 knots. If you are fortunate enough to have 15-20 knots of wind at your back, you'll probably average 6.5 knots. Most legs will take you 2 hours from hook up to hook down, we found ourselves mapping out longer routes skipping past things just so we could sail longer distances.

Enjoy the trip, the BVI's are such a great spot to island hop!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 08:53   #3

"Shocked, Shocked I tell you ...."

Most boat sites say 15-20 mph for a catamaran. Were you replying for catamaran speeds?

My son said on his last BVI trip, it took 50 minutes to sail from One Garden Bay to the Soggy Dollar Bar. That averages ~6 mph as you suggest.

Hence, I ask for comments from experienced sailors.

Thanks, we are so looking forward to the trip. Here's the plan so far ...

https://www.paramotorreviews.com/san...-trip-plan.png
varocketry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 20:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by varocketry View Post
Most boat sites say 15-20 mph for a catamaran. Were you replying for catamaran speeds?
Any sailing data on sites that quote mph rather than knots is dubious to say the least. Especailly if the are talking about cruising cats.

Depending on conditions and point of sail averaging 5-8 knots VMC* would be good planning figures (low end for close hauled, high end for reaching/running).

* VMC is what pilots and powerboaters would call VMG. i.e. "velocity made good over course/to destination"
To sailors, VMG is taken to mean "Velocity made good to windward".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 22:43   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Work on an average of 6 knots, if you get a nice reach at say 10 knots then you will arrive a bit earlier, but don't count on it. As charters are time constrained to get from A to B if wind is very light or on the nose you could probably motor at 6 knots to achieve your itinerary, unless of course it is 30 kn apparent (25 of true wind and 5 of boat speed) up the Drake Channel - you may then want to slow down to 4 knots, if you want to got out at all. This speed may reduce further depending on current direction. The best plan is to route your journey according to wind direction and strength, but most likely it will be NE -SE around 20 knots. Catamarans that do 15kn + are either power cats or super-light dagger boarders which you won't find in a standard charter fleet. You might find a Catana with dagger boards but they are not super-light. Charter boats are also unlikely to come with a spinnaker which would increase your averages on the circle of wind.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 00:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Your average Bali couldn't sail out of sight on a dark night with a cyclone up its bum.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 19:24   #7

hmmm... I now own a bali 4.0. I am not experiencing any of the issues people are stating. The boat sails nicely for me. 6.5 knots average speed is easy enough to achieve. 8 knots on a bean with winds hitting 15 knots is also easy to achieve.
HuffinPuff is offline   Reply With Quote