Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2008, 11:55   #1

Boat: "Just a Dream Im working at"
Whats the best way to learn how to buy a Cat?

Hi, Im at the dream stage at the moment, looking at your threads there seems to be lots of pitfulls I could easily fall into if I bought the wrong Cat. Is there a way of learning what to look for?

i.e Basically, information to take me from knowing Nothing through to being able to make an sensible buying/leasing decision.???
Best size, performance, running costs, Models,licenses, certificates, ways of funding, Gotta start somewhere.!! ( I spent a day on holiday on a Cat- loved it)
tezbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 13:23   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
While you are dreaming. Do some research. Your question has a million answers, because it is too vague. Things needed to know are...wallet size, where you will sail, any experience of any sailing, how many people, personal, or business....I think you kind of get the idea.

You can do some research on sites like yachtworld.com. There you will find sizes of boats, interior pics, exterior pics, age of boat, powered by?, equipment on the boat, and last but not least the costs of boats. Finding a boat to fit your style is like finding a car to fit your driving style. Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's not easy.....BEST WISHES in figuring it all out, because it really comes down to a very personal decision. Although every decent sailor knows a good boat will be RED!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 18:13   #3

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Hi, do some research like what yiu are doing, ask the questions and read the threads here and at other forums, and blogs. Read some books by Charles Kanter, Chris White and Trjans latest etc. The latest edition of Adlard Coles Heavy Weather Saling, just to get in perspective......and most important get some sailing in, mono or multi doesnt really matter just get the feel for being around boats. Crewing at your local YC is a good way to go Good luck
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 09:55   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Spend some time on a beach cat. Eventually you will need to learn how cats handle when pressed, and small boats teach faster. Additionally, some of the comments will make more sense with this experience on-board. Beach cats don't really sail like bigger cats - they are optimized for speed - but they do offer a comparison to, say, a 505 or Albacor.

A beach cat does act more like a cruising cat if you reef down in moderate air and sit in the middle - no hiking or weight transfer allowed. When you fanny gets wet you will understand the importance of bridge clearance! If you take too many friend, you will understand about overloading.

The other posts are all good too.

Somewhere on the web is a posting of the "10 rules for buying a multihull - I think it was Chris White - a very good starting point.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 11:25   #5

Boat: "Just a Dream Im working at"
Thanx Guys for your positive comments, Im starting with the Idea ,then working on tuning it in.I think Im looking to base myself Thailand as the sea is nice and hot, fairly cheap overall, and being anow unatatched chap I would always have plenty of company from there. thoght about donig day trips out to the islands for a few dollars. when i was there I didnt see anyone doing that.I just love the look of a Cat,they are just so sleek & gorgeous.Probably take me 3years to get financially sound and learn the idiosyncrasies
tezbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 14:17   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I recommend that you charter the model of catamaran that you are interested in before you purchase one. There is no way to get a good feeling for the sailing, cruising, and liveaboard characterists without spending at least a week on board.

When we decided to sail around the world on a catamaran, we chartered two different models, and eventually we chose our Privilege 39 cataraman, Exit Only.

On sailor's dream cat may be another sailor's nightmare. The only way you can figure out which it is for you is to spend time sailing on it and living on board - even if only for a few days. It's a huge investment, and you want to get this decision right.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 08:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Buy Charles Kanter's latest book, and Chris White's. Between those two you will get a pretty well rounded view of catamarans from two perspectives. You will find your self leaning one way or the other. Sail a lot of beach cats. When you've accumulated enough cash, charter a cat with some friends. Even if this wipes out your sailing nest egg, it will be an extremely valuable education, and save you a lot of money later. Do some cruising on a smaller boat to see how well you can adapt to minimum storage, tight quarters, and 40 mile days. For that you might want a year or two of trailerboat ownership. Seems like it will take years to get to a cruising cat?
Well, maybe; but if its right for you it will be good times every minute along the way!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote