Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 17:16   #1

Boat: Chris Craft 41' Finally
Thumbs up What's the Right Boat for Me?

okay all you weathered sailors out there who love their sails. I have never sailed a multi larger than a hobbie but am seriously thinking about going with an approx 50' Cat instead of a 60' monohull when I retire. What say you all about the pros and cons. It just seems a multi would be so much more comforatable.
allardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 17:27   #2

What Budget, Where are you planning it to take you, How many people on the boat the majority of the time, Why 50ft. Of the many catamaran designs available - which ones appeal the most???
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 17:33   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I'm sure a lot of people would love to debate this. If you want to look up about 20 such debates in the past, use the Google search function. It's the small "search" button with a down arrow. Type "monohull catamaran" and read away.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 06:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Oh dear - here we go again.

For what its worth - Lightwave 45 would be the boat. Staying under 15 meters is important for a few bureaucratic reasons in my part of the world.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 07:17   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Being over 15 meters sometimes has its benefits as well...when I imported my boat to Lebanon boats under 15 meter had to pay 25% boats over 0.

I would agree with Factor that in most cases smaller is better in the eyes of officials.
As for your question.. I'm a mono guy because I believe they are the most robust and I can pile on as much weight as I please.

Having said that, I sure like the open spaces, back decks, redundancy in having two engines and possibility of still floating with catastrophic damage to the hulls, of the Multis
BUT....If its going to pound in a heavy sea, as many do, I dont want it.
Keep in mind that many modern monos pound as well.

I'm a full keel guy...no pounding EVER!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 08:12   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There are plenty of threads in this forum comparing mono's with cat's. What really matters is what you prefer. The best way I think to determine that is to do a number of charters of both.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 08:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I am not going for this one again! My wife wants us to cruise on the Mariner of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) I think it has something to do with being out of the galley....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 13:27   #8

I had the same question, so I bought and read Gregor Tarjan's guide to Cruising Catamarans. He treats the mono vs. multi question very thoroughly. Excellent book, and well worth reading for anyone considering cruising on a multi-hull.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 14:22   #9

For comfort ,room, speed the multi wins getting from point A to Point B. For aesthetics, the pure joy of sailing, and tradition the mono wins. A 42 foot cat is huge. As you age you will find the mono companionway ladder is pretty tough on the hips and legs in rough water. The cat forces you to iso exercise a little due to the mild jerking motion, but it's nothing like dealing with the ladder and the "cave". You can sit AT your nav table in a cat and watch the radar and out the window while traveling at night. We had 17 aboard for Thanksgiving dinner in Georgetown on our cat... a cat is faster than a trawler, as roomy and burns no more fuel than a mono..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 14:48   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 41' Finally
I love any time on the water and appreciate your comments. I want my boat to take me where ever I point the hull and have been leaning toward the multi but love some of the amenities of the mono. I am going to find a copy of Tarjans book immediatly and check into this size thing you mentioned about lebanon and austrailia. Thanks for those points. For future posts I will spend the first couple years from Trinidad to the Great Lakes and Nova Scotia, after that who knows but Austrailia is at the very top of the list.
allardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 03:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
MAAATE, come to australia and buy new here - but wait a while till the US dollar gets better, its nearly parity at the moment.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 13:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
MAAATE, come to australia and buy new here - but wait a while till the US dollar gets better, its nearly parity at the moment.
Dude, good advice! Might have a long wait before the dollar goes back up though.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:07   #13

I would buy the white boat.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:42   #14

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
If price is no concern, and it isn't at this point, just buy a giant Yapluka and have it fitted out to your heart's content.
P.S. invite us all on a ride too!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote