Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 12:54   #16

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat
Re: Where is my ignition coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
To answer you question #3 directly - the life jacket is a standard size, your 82 foot Cat is too small (never knew they made them so small) so get yourself a proper size cat or even better, get a mono (any size) - all your problems (#1 through to #3) will disappear and your life (and wife) will be waaaay happier.
I am a little embarrassed to have to admit that I failed to see such an obvious solution. I am quite prissy, so cannot and will not suggest any inappropriate metaphors, but there are clearly two solutions (or more) to getting holes and the things that go into holes appropriately matched.

If I just get myself a proper sized cat (200' ?) not only will things fit better, but I will be even more admired around the marina. I am pretty sure that the reason people stay away from me is out of deep respect.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 13:03   #17

Yeah, but when you have two pointy ends, which end do you throw the anchor off of? And what kinda anchor and how much chain and how much rode?

Also, I'm sorry but I'm familiar with all the terms in Dogscout's post - except I can't find the dingle-arm on my boat. What is the dingle-arm and where can I get one, please?

Or, is it the case amongst this group of hooligan pirates, that as the sole chick, I'm SOL... ?

Ken, you missed your calling. You should be doing standup... in sailor's pubs.

Bwah-ha-ha,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 13:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
Marine engines come in four colors, blue, green, red and silver-gray. Please let us know which one you have so we can respond accurately.
You are correct in assuming that it does matter which way the skipper is facing when the malfunction aoccurs.
Darn. I wish I would have noticed the color before the flames ensued. The engines are now kinda rusty colored in places, but mainly sooty black. I hope that gives you enough to go on for an accurate response.

Another poster suggested using an old generation anchor. Excellent idea, as it turns out. I am using an old Onan for that purpose, and it is working well so far. So I wonder: Maybe the engines were Onan brand?

Or maybe Harken? There are some spinny things on the boat that say that. If Harken made the boat, would the engines be Harken too?

Is it possible to edit anything in this forum??? I just googled Onan, and now I'm a little embarrassed, because my generation anchor is apparently named for some risque bible story.
Old 26-12-2020, 13:14   #19

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

You should likely check the muffler bearings while you re-stuffing the stuffing box. If they are difficult to fine, it's worth the extra money to upgrade to the chrome ones.
Old 26-12-2020, 13:20   #20

Boat: Cal 2-27

It's a little concerning that you are just now trying to locate your coil. Most manufacturers recommend changing the coil every 100 hours, or once per season. A 30-weight coil is pretty typical, but you'll want to check on your specific application.
Scratchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 13:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
It's a little concerning that you are just now trying to locate your coil. Most manufacturers recommend changing the coil every 100 hours, or once per season. A 30-weight coil is pretty typical, but you'll want to check on your specific application.
Yeah, but then with the engine-in-flames problem, the 30-weight is just going to exasperate the entire situation...

Ken, try facing forward and you won't be able to see the flames, but while screaming around the harbour at 25 knots, at least your ass will be warm - or you'll look like a god to the locals...
Old 26-12-2020, 13:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

You solar panel should be pointed to the north to collect light reflected off the snow, not south to collect direct sunlight like everyone else here and everywhere on the internet will tell you.
Hmmmm... I wonder if I should mention this. My solar cells are pointing straight down, and so far have spent all their time underwater. And my sails are, I believe, rigid wings --- they are definitely wing shaped. They are also very very small, but I have been assuming that wings must generate a lot of force... pack a wallop is the term, I think. They seem rigidly affixed to the boat, so I think that no matter how the wind blows the wings "know" what to do.

The boat is much sleeker than others around, so I jumped at the chance to buy it. All I had to do was take over payments! Can you believe that? I got such a deal. The boat looks for all the world like two dolphins swimming side by side. Very graceful.

I heard some of the same people who were pointing out the wisdom of my years (it was either "Hi, boomer" or "hey boomer") pointing at my boat and saying "turtle". That seemed rude. People think of turtles as being slow, whereas dolphins are fast.

I am just starting to wonder if I have been bamboozled. Could it be that the solar cells are mounted to the wrong side of the boat?? Am I gonna have to hire divers to take them off and point them to the north pole?

Wait, no. Everything is OK. I found this pic online, and it is just like my my boat. I bet their solar cells are pointing down too. Their boat is probably the same brand as mine -- so much sleeker than the average boat.

Are you trying to fool me??? You really had me going there. Solar cells above water... oh yeah right!! Like that would work!!!??? I hope this is not devolving into the "pick on the newby thing". I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you were just kidding.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

I can't find the dingle-arm on my boat. What is the dingle-arm and where can I get one, please?
As a very prissy twit, I am finding your question a little difficult to answer. I think I mentioned my Onan anchor generation thingy. This should give you a hint.

But hey this is the nineties!! Oh wait, no, it's later than that isnt' it. All the better. You are an adult, I am an adult. we can talk about the things that adults do. There is nothing to be ashamed of. It is all perfectly natural.

You cannot be blamed for not knowing this term of the art. Male's all have dingle arms. We males do not actually talk about that a lot, but we all have a dingle arm and a non-dingle arm. We do not have to think a lot about which is which. It just comes naturally.

Females no doubt have a similar feature, but it is perfectly OK to act as if you do not.

It is my sincere hope that there is no laughter at the back of the class... that could put a damper on having mature open discussions in a serious and productive manner.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:10   #24

Yeah, but you still didn't answer my question about anchoring...
Old 26-12-2020, 14:13   #25

Sheesh! Chime in CF! I see all the other bystanders reading this thread and.. what? You're too timid to join in?

Com'on! The water's fine.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:20   #26

Boat: Outremer 50S

Thanks for posting the picture, now things are so much more clear. I think what you are calling “solar cells” are actually hydro generators. They use the sun and the movement of the boat to generate hydrogen by electrolysis (galvanic corrosion). You probably had a leak in your hydrogen containment unit, and that is a more likely cause of your boom than a bunch of rude dock neighbors.

The little sails are highly efficient “wing sails” like you see on the America’s Cup boats, it looks like the lower/smaller ones have the adjustable camber feature. If you don’t get the adjustment right your boat may leave the water and become a “wing in ground” craft, that is the function of the wings that joins the two dolphins, but you must have a pilot’s license to operate your boat that way. I urge you to find a reputable school before you do anything else, and to get a professional marine deconfabulator before you make things worse.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 15:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

If you don’t get the adjustment right your boat may leave the water and become a “wing in ground” craft, that is the function of the wings that joins the two dolphins, but you must have a pilot’s license to operate your boat that way. I urge you to find a reputable school before you do anything else, and to get a professional marine deconfabulator before you make things worse.
Thank you so much, this has made things so much clearer!! I have learned so much here that I really don't think formal instruction will be required. I found a picture of a pilot on a small version of my boat, just lifting off into ground affect. Looks like all I need is a rope to hang onto. And maybe some chaps. And perhaps a guitar. And a pickup truck.
Old 26-12-2020, 15:51   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Yes, you are right. I have heard that sailors are a little rough around the edges, and so I was hoping to avoid your question, given my prissy and sensitive nature. I was hoping to protect you.

I hope that you, as a proper and sensitive woman, are very careful around these people -- these sailor types. If I were to write some response to you about how I "throw the anchor in" you would know that I am speaking in strictly marine terms. But be warned. There are those here who could read all sorts of unintended meanings into that. Fortunately, we are not gathered together in a room, and are therefore saved from the childish chortles that we might otherwise hear.

Were I in such a room, I would simply turn up my Christmas carols to drown out the evil satanic chortles. "Oh come all ye faithful".
Old 26-12-2020, 16:09   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I am just starting to wonder if I have been bamboozled.
Ken, you have obviously not kept up with the times. In the past, yes, you might well have been bamboozled, but since the world has become attuned to plastic contamination of the seas, non-plastic coffee cups have become universally required, and thus all the bamboozle trees have been harvested for their fiber from which those cups are now made.

No, mate, you have NOT been bamboozled. Perhaps confusulated or misconstruzled, but not bamboozled.

Jim
Old 26-12-2020, 16:41   #30

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
Finally, someone who speaks my language! The Rockwell Retroencabulator is very likely to find its way into hybrid sailboats very soon.

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil