Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40   #16

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
ID:
I like your approach to ensuring that the boat is manageable by all. You can stay in this spirit with less stringent criteria however. If my wife were managing the boat alone she would never raise the full main, it would be a one reef minimum. It is of course much easier to raise the main and manage it with the first reef in. I have some friends who put a reef in every night on passage regardless of the weather.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55   #17

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
My wife and I purchased a usedVoyage 470 this past December. I would look at the 500's too. These are nice boats and plenty of room for a family of 4. The owners versions are nice. We have a standard layout and are happy with it.

C.King
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:44   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Talbot, I went looking for more info on the Maxim 520 and there's not much out there. Maxim has initial build photos (again appears to be circa 2004) but that's it. Any idea what the story is on this one?
j
Stingo (an infrequent member on here) is having a 385 built at the moment, and right next to it (and totally dwarfing it) is the 520. If you want more data on it I suggest you email stingo and ask him, he lives in SA and goes down to look at his new boat every so often (as you would)
Old 12-07-2006, 07:04   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Everybodys got their bias and here is mine. I have the first Voyage 500 owners version in the states, my last boat was their 430. The absolute best value is the Voyage,,, 700k vs 800+k for the St. Francis 50 and 1mill for the Lagoon 50. The bridgedeck clearance is the same on all these boats, only vary an inch or so. As far as comfort and space, Voyage has it by a mile.
If you want to see it, I'm heading to Annapolis for the show in October.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 02:41   #20

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
Hi Craig,

Congrats on the Voyage 500. There are many wonderful things about both the Voyage 440 and 500, in particular the way they sail.

It is inaccurate to suggest that the Voyage has the clearance of a Lagoon 500 or SF50. The bridge deck clearance on the Voyage boats is the lowest in the business (<2'). Both the Lagoon 500 and the SF50 are substantially higher with the SF at 32". The only thing I really don't like about the Voyage 440 and 500 is the amount of pounding you get in fairly mild seas. As far as interior volume, and cockpit floor space in particular, the Voyage 500 is also at a disadvantage to both the SF50 and Lagoon 500.

These aren't knocks, just statistics, and they don't do anything to paint a picture of any of these boats, only sailing and living on them for a bit can do that. If I were going to buy a 44' cat I would seriously consider a Voyage 440 as they are great boats and pounding is only one of many things you can find not to like in a boat. Lots of folks read these posts however and we should keep our facts straight.

Respectfully,

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:44   #21

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
Have you thought of a Leopard 45/47? A three cabin 47 would be excellent, and a four cabin model could be had for a very good price with good resale. These boats sail pretty well, and don't pound badly when sailed correctly. They do have lower bridge decks than ideal, but if you reef the jib first in the rough stuff, it cuts down on the pounding a lot.

The Leopards have cockpits that are much bigger than any other cat in the size range. They have a liner that cuts down on the sweating that a Voyage, for example, experiences in cold climates. Perhaps most important, they were clearly designed for ease of maintenance. Almost everything comes out easily, tanks, batteries, even engines. You never have to figure out how to get at anything, which is unusual. Any of these cats has complicated systems, and to make your cruise the most enjoyable, get one that does not eat up your time taking care of it. Don't get something really unusual, but get something that is standard and for which spares are readily available. Tramps from Quantum South Africa for $400 each, for example.

The 45/47 is a tough boat, much stronger than the 46, by the way, and just as fast, which might surprise. In four years of owning, sailing, and living aboard my 45, we have sailed in many different conditions, including running under bare poles and heaving to. We have also never been passed by a Voyage 440, 470, or 500, Lagoon 440 or Privilege of the equivalent length. We have yet to tee it up against a Lagoon 500, but I would like to. Since we currently do charters in the BVI, we have sailed a lot against these boats, so this is not just speculation.

The cockpit is probably the greatest feature. We have never had a wife from a Voyage 440 come aboard and not ask her husband, "why did we not get one of these"?

Best of luck in your search.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 21:54   #22

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
I am bias to the Dolphin 460 because I own a new one but with your budget there are SO many cats to choose from. I would have a hard time choosing. DONT RUSH TO DECIDE! TRY MANY OUT.

I would try and get a boat that uses Vynelester resin or epoxy, is low in weight compared to others in that size and has alot of water line and a boat that is rigged right for small crew. A Cat that is about ~50-55' feet is I think in the SWEETEST ZONE for cruising cat size.

REALIZE NOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO WANT TO PUT MORE STUFF ON YOUR NEW CAT THAN SHOULD BE LOADED ON THERE!!! MORE STUFF THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE PRIOR TO BUYING IT. WITH THAT IN MIND, START WITH A VERY LIGHT BOAT and VERY LONG HULLS., THAT WAY YOU CAN SAIL VERY FAST WHILE YOUR CLOTHES ARE ON SPIN CYCLE IN THE WASHER AND YOUR ICE-MAKER IS MAKING ICE FOR FROZEN MARGARITAS!!!!

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 22:40   #23

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
I am bias to the Dolphin 460 because I own a new one but with your budget there are SO many cats to choose from. I would have a hard time choosing. DONT RUSH TO DECIDE! TRY MANY OUT.
Keegan, do you keep your dolphin in San Diego? I don't know that I've heard of one on the west coast. I've seen one for charter (grenadines I think).

Mark
Marina del Rey, CA
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 23:02   #24

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
Keegan, do you keep your dolphin in San Diego? I don't know that I've heard of one on the west coast. I've seen one for charter (grenadines I think).

Mark
Marina del Rey, CA
No, WONDERLAND is in the Caribbean now awaiting my arrival...Geez, I wish I could stop working.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 00:31   #25

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
The new 495 seems to only come with Galley down.
The Privilege 495 is a magnificent boat and can be specified either galley-up or galley-down. I've looked over several and sailed on one. They have everything you need for extended cruising, Privilege have a good long track record, you won't regret it if you buy one.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 08:21   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The closest you will get to the PERFECT boat for your needs. Will be picking a designer with credits, and work with them for the interior. With the money you are spending people will bend over backwards for you.

My boat is a Simpson design altered for the owner builder of the boat. I myself would do things a little differently if I had built it, but I am very pleased. The boatyard is Booteswerft of Berlin, and most people think it is glass, because the hulls are so fair.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 08:50   #27

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
With your budget, I'd second the suggestion of talking to some designers.

One I would recommend is Chris White - he has some interesting and definite ideas on catamarans that you might or might not agree with - for example he pioneered the forward cockpit that you now see on Gunboats. When we were shopping for a used boat, he spent a couple of hours with us on a boat of his, which our budget did not end up extending to - but he was very helpful and knowledgeable. If I was going to have a fast cruising catamaran built, he would be one of the first people I went to talk to.

Mark.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:00   #28

Boat: Catana 471
Cal Cat Man - along the same lines as what others have said, in your budget consider custom and high end production boats only. Personally, at the risk of pissing off some folks, I recommend you move past the high volume production builders, e.g., Lagoons, Voyages. These can be good choices but you have means for more refined/sophisticated vessels. Of course I'm biased here, but do not overlook the Catana 471 or 472. These hold their value very well - especially the 471. Mine has appreciated in value such that I had to recently raise my insurance coverage US$100K.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:18   #29

I would second the recommendation to look at the Voyage 50. Its a very strong and light boat for a cruising cat. A new one would come in the mid 800 range and good used ones can be had for about 600,000. Lots room and a superstrong rig plus a very secure dingy storage system that can handle a large dingy with a big engine.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:51   #30

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Was this thread originally started @19 months ago? New to the forum but it seems he may already have wind in his sails.
Blue Skye is offline   Reply With Quote