Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 14:00   #1

Which Catamaran should I be looking at in the 30 to 40ft used maybe new todays market

What models are ones to watch today? I haven't looked in a bit so wonder what is out there today. Im selling my home and acreage and moving to a home on the water and these Trimarans that fold up to not take up room at the dock look interesting. Anyone sail on some of these and dock them at their waterfront docks? Maybe not as large as 30 to 40 ft closer to 30ft
Maybe a Catamaran if its not to wide.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 14:21   #2

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Which Catamaran should I be looking at in the 30 to 40ft used maybe new todays ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
What models are ones to watch today? I haven't looked in a bit so wonder what is out there today. Im selling my home and acreage and moving to a home on the water and these Trimarans that fold up to not take up room at the dock look interesting. Anyone sail on some of these and dock them at their waterfront docks? Maybe not as large as 30 to 40 ft closer to 30ft
So much depends on your particular location- the linear amount of waterfront you have, offset zoning rules with neighbors, water depth and gradient off your dock, vessel draft, room for navigation of yours and other vessels, etc. Tris are hot, and I'm sure a lot of try fans here will chime in with real experience and advice. For a coastal cruiser that doesn't have a huge footprint, a Gemini might be worth considering. Good luck.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 03:25   #3

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Which Catamaran should I be looking at in the 30 to 40ft used maybe new todays ma

We have a 36' tri (45' with bow sprit) and it folds, but we never fold it other than to ship it, or if necessary to haul it out. Our 31' was easier, but we never kept it at a dock - always on the trailer, which meant launch/haul, launch/haul, ...well, you get the idea.

While we've cruised with our current 36' up to 5 weeks at a time, we're old enough now that it even seems small.

All the points mentioned above are the first to consider; if you plan to keep it where you live, make sure it's legal, allowed, manageable, insurable,etc...

Good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 04:13   #4

For living aboard, the small tris have very limited space. They typically have narrower hulls compared to similar length monos to boost performance.

A big part of the choice will be driven by budget and expectations. If you want to fit in a normal slip and keep the cost reasonable, some options:
- Catalac
- Gemini
- PDQ
- Prout
- Endeavor

Some of these are out of production or the company has moved to building larger models but these are some 30-36' cats that provide reasonable living space.

If you have a bit more budget and aren't wedded to fitting in a standard slip, there are several 38-40' cats available. Also if you don't need a lot of space, tris start getting large enough for small but tolerable living space.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 08:35   #5

Boat: C&C

We have a Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37 ft catamaran for sale located in Ft Lauderdale that might be what your looking for? It's 19ft 6 in wide with 3ft 4in draft. Fits into most canals in Lauderdale legally with her width.
Here's the link to her on Yachtworld:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...g#.WwRwu5KZMfF

You can Pm me if more info required.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:18   #6

I remain astonished at the number of good one off multihulls out there, many of which are far superior to anything stock and, because they are not from recognised buiders, may be way cheaper. My profession is repairing boats and frankly very few mass produced stock catamarans are worth keeping as second hand boats. Some of the trimarans may be superior but a combination of knowledge, which you gain by both experience and forum, and surveyors will provide the skills you need to choose. I have about 370,000 ocean miles in multihulls alone, and have built a few also, the best have all been one off boats.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
So much depends on your particular location- the linear amount of waterfront you have, offset zoning rules with neighbors, water depth and gradient off your dock, vessel draft, room for navigation of yours and other vessels, etc. Tris are hot, and I'm sure a lot of try fans here will chime in with real experience and advice. For a coastal cruiser that doesn't have a huge footprint, a Gemini might be worth considering. Good luck.
I agree with the Gemini 105mc thought,they have a 14 ft beam that will fit into a standard slip & can get in really shallow water with the boards up a little less that 3 ft... rudders that kick up.. I like mine! I have pulled up the Rudders & the sonic outdrive & got into places that most sailboats can't get to...
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 14:46   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
I'd look at cats with 14' beam. They fit slips and can be lifted my travel lift. If your loaded forget my advise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 15:27   #9
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

I have a benetaue Blue 2 for sale in Kemah its a 34 ft long and 20 foot beam for sale in kemah, Tx if you want a great boat.
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
We have a 36' tri (45' with bow sprit) and it folds, but we never fold it other than to ship it, or if necessary to haul it out. Our 31' was easier, but we never kept it at a dock - always on the trailer, which meant launch/haul, launch/haul, ...well, you get the idea.

While we've cruised with our current 36' up to 5 weeks at a time, we're old enough now that it even seems small.

All the points mentioned above are the first to consider; if you plan to keep it where you live, make sure it's legal, allowed, manageable, insurable,etc...

Good luck!
THanks for the info and that is a nice one you have. Ive seen some smaller ones in Sarasota that fold up.
Old 30-07-2018, 16:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
For living aboard, the small tris have very limited space. They typically have narrower hulls compared to similar length monos to boost performance.

A big part of the choice will be driven by budget and expectations. If you want to fit in a normal slip and keep the cost reasonable, some options:
- Catalac
- Gemini
- PDQ
- Prout
- Endeavor

Some of these are out of production or the company has moved to building larger models but these are some 30-36' cats that provide reasonable living space.

If you have a bit more budget and aren't wedded to fitting in a standard slip, there are several 38-40' cats available. Also if you don't need a lot of space, tris start getting large enough for small but tolerable living space.
Yes the Gemini I have seen and nice for shallow water which there alot of in the Saint James City area out from Pine Island.
Old 30-07-2018, 22:33   #12

Boat: Seawind 1000

I will also suggest the Gemini 105 MC. They are a great choice if you are looking for a catamaran that won't break the bank, and have a narrow beam and shallow draft with the rudders and centerboards up. We have loved ours, but a shameless plug, she is currently for sale. Here is a link to to our boat on Yachtworld, if you might be interested.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../#.W1_zstVKjIU
SV Unwritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 08:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Unwritten View Post
I will also suggest the Gemini 105 MC. They are a great choice if you are looking for a catamaran that won't break the bank, and have a narrow beam and shallow draft with the rudders and centerboards up. We have loved ours, but a shameless plug, she is currently for sale. Here is a link to to our boat on Yachtworld, if you might be interested.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200.../#.W1_zstVKjIU
Nicely put nothing shameful about the plug. Good luck finding a buyer.
Old 31-07-2018, 12:21   #14

Boat: Seawind 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Nicely put nothing shameful about the plug. Good luck finding a buyer.

Thanks!
SV Unwritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 12:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Unwritten View Post
Thanks!
If I were not so old, you might find me in Texas.

Tags
catamaran