Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 23:29   #16

Re: Which Catamaran to Buy

My biggest Pros for a Cat are:
- more space
- less depth
- usually bigger salon with daylight
- less heel

From what I have seen, there are cats for less than 100.000 USD. They are built 1990 - 2003 and doesent look too crappy (on the pictures).
We have to stay in our budget because we have to continue a "serious life" after our return .
When we finish our trip I guess we will sell the boat and go back to chartering during vaccations.
Picknicker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj

I'm not arguing that those boats exist at that price point. My argument is that for $100,000, you will find better, bigger monohulls more suited for a family crossing oceans.

If the price point was $200,000, I would be arguing in the opposite direction.

Mark
No matter what the price point you will definitely find bigger monos and some would think better for crossing oceans. The cats I mentioned are older but if you also include the Prout, they were the cats ass for crossing oceans with family's years ago and are still viable choices nowadays. In fact in my opinion some of the older boats are just as suited to ocean crossings as the new cats.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51   #18

I dont want to get into that discussion which type of boat would be principally the best choice.
When I see what fit best into our imaginations, I end at a catamaran.

When searching over the web, it looks as if Gemini 105 would be a good choice. This cats seem to be reliable and affordable 2nd Hand.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
There's lots to choose from. Ami renaissance 320 in Pensacola. Its far better construction than a gem plus twin diesels better tankage. Etc. Prout event 34 for 55k in pasco fl. A few pdq32's all around. Many others too.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picknicker72 View Post
I dont want to get into that discussion which type of boat would be principally the best choice.
When I see what fit best into our imaginations, I end at a catamaran.

When searching over the web, it looks as if Gemini 105 would be a good choice. This cats seem to be reliable and affordable 2nd Hand.
A Gem could work but for a family of 2+2 and all the stuff you need to cruise (no oceans for this boat ) it will be heavily loaded.* A Gem can only really handle 2.

Maybe if you are all small people........

* - I've owned one.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:16   #21

@Therapy,
thank you very much for that hint!
I was just about to really target on the Gemini 105 MC. I really like the big main cabin.

We are 2 adults and 2 children. Considering the supplies "Plus X reserve" you have to carry for crossing the atlantic, load is really a topic!
Old 12-09-2012, 13:28   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picknicker72 View Post
@Therapy,
thank you very much for that hint!
I was just about to really target on the Gemini 105 MC. I really like the big main cabin.

We are 2 adults and 2 children. Considering the supplies "Plus X reserve" you have to carry for crossing the atlantic, load is really a topic!
While several Gems have gone really long distances it is not really that kind of boat.

Florida coast and Caribbean - there are tons of them out there. Try one. You will like it. Then when you are read to do long-haul stuff you will know more what you want/need.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:05   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You might be able to get an older PDQ 36 for your price or just a little more. These boats are really well built.
Old 16-09-2012, 10:57   #24

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34'

No boat will have everything you want or need. I looked at all the options with no real budget but not being dumb to spending a ton of money. The Gemini 105 we purchased from the original owner satisfied our needs and continues give us pleasure. The only other cat we considered was a Prout Elite, but the boats are old and for the price of the hull and to upgrade one to our expectations made the choice in favor of the Gemini. Here are the deciding factors in the final purchase:

Single engine, this is a sailboat so why maintain twin engines. Both the Gemini and Elite have a single engine. Also both boats have a out drive that can be raised out of the water. (the Elite is a pain to do and the Gemini is hydraulic) On the Gemini the out drive is attached to the rudders and the boat can turn in a narrow area. Our canal is 25 wide and I can turn around easy. You do have to watch when there is wind with only a 18 inch draft. (put the boards down when in a tight marina. In South Florida and the Keys Crab pots are always a problem and having a out-drive that lifts out of the water allows me to clear any fouling and I can do service to the prop without pulling the boat.

This bring us to the draft, Elite is over 3 foot, Gemini 18 inches boards up. Nice to beach the boat. In other countries taking a dingy to shore and leaving your boat and valuables 25 to 50 yards offshore invites you know who, leaving you hopeless.

At 14 foot wide we can get into any marina. 20 foot wide boats offer more space but at a price

The downside is the bridge clearance. Not much, so you will encounter bridge slip which is more annoying than a concern. The Elite will take the seas better but we are more coastal cruisers with few blue water passages. When we do make a crossing we watch the weather and pick the best window for where we go.

Fresh water is also a issue. 36 Gals is weak, but we have a water maker which solves this problem. Refrigeration is a concern as the refer does not hold much so we have a portable freezer and powered cooler. These are in the starboard aft cabin. Then this brings up the question of power. We own the only Gemini built with a NextGen diesel gen-set (5.5KW) uses 1 gallon for 4 hours use. Of course the Solar panel helps to keep the start battery fresh, at only 200 Watts it is not enough to run refrigerator. That is generally solved by propane back-up but we have decided not to run propane anywhere in the boat, only the grill.

Last but least, we do not have kids, don't take others so we did not want 4 berth, 2 head floor-plans and the Gemini with the large queen with windows to look out at night was really cool.

Good Luck in finding you dream boat. Final Fling
finalfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 11:35   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Finalfling, I want you as captain on my boat as anyone who can turn a 34' boat around in a 25' channel has skills I couldn't imagine.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 13:07   #26

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34'

OOPS, Big typo, 45 foot is the correct width of the channel. Thanks
finalfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 13:24   #27

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I thought you turned it like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat crash1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	46631  
Old 16-09-2012, 14:31   #28

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

As for the 18" draft, and beaching ability, how do you motor or sail off the beach with the drive leg and rudders up? We draw 31" with twin inboards, and rudders permanently down. I can imagine if for some reason you had to blown over a 19" deep reef to deeper water this could be a benefit, but still confused.... We can safely beach ours and let her sit on the keels, not sure about the whole being hopless or helpless part 25 yards off the beach...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 15:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
As for the 18" draft, and beaching ability, how do you motor or sail off the beach with the drive leg and rudders up? We draw 31" with twin inboards, and rudders permanently down. I can imagine if for some reason you had to blown over a 19" deep reef to deeper water this could be a benefit, but still confused.... We can safely beach ours and let her sit on the keels, not sure about the whole being hopless or helpless part 25 yards off the beach...
18" is the advertised and I would say, empty boat draft.

Not exact but more like:

Measurements made from the
water line

All components raised 23.5

Engine down 33.0

Rudders Down 42.0

Boards Down
1/2 turn 18.5
1 turn 33.0
1 1/2 - Full down 73.5
Old 18-09-2012, 00:23   #30

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We love our 01 Gemini 105Mc , Best bang for the bucks for a coastal catamaran. Look for one that has the screecher head sail and tack, worth the bucks. We also like the real oiled teak interior wood, hides scratches. The hammock couch on the davits is great. Lately I've seen some in your price range, remember cash saves cash in boat deals.

Tags
catamaran