Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 09:06   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Which Catamaran to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
We love our 01 Gemini 105Mc , Best bang for the bucks for a coastal catamaran. Look for one that has the screecher head sail and tack, worth the bucks. We also like the real oiled teak interior wood, hides scratches. The hammock couch on the davits is great. Lately I've seen some in your price range, remember cash saves cash in boat deals.
How do you get the water spots out? The ones on the table that always happen.
Old 19-09-2012, 11:19   #32

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
How do you get the water spots out? The ones on the table that always happen.
We had no water spots when we bought and still don't, I guess we don't let cold drinks sweat on the table, place mats and insulated bottle holders work.
Old 19-09-2012, 14:49   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
We had no water spots when we bought and still don't, I guess we don't let cold drinks sweat on the table, place mats and insulated bottle holders work.
In Florida even insulated anything sweats. It even sweats enough to wet through place mats........................or I am just a slob.
Old 19-09-2012, 16:42   #34

Boat: FP Mahe 36

I have to agree that a cat for 100k would most likely be fraught with problems and not be in the range and possibilties of what a cat can provide, sometimes it is worth spending a little more and get some money back with the re-sale value. Also the cruising grounds have an impact, sailing in the Bahamas a cat is fantastic other areas might not have such a big impact, or even a negative one with a cat in that price range. How about an IP 35 Cat? The Geminis would also be a choice. But in the 100k range the monos offer more choices.
Old 19-09-2012, 20:08   #35

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert
I have to agree that a cat for 100k would most likely be fraught with problems and not be in the range and possibilties of what a cat can provide, sometimes it is worth spending a little more and get some money back with the re-sale value. Also the cruising grounds have an impact, sailing in the Bahamas a cat is fantastic other areas might not have such a big impact, or even a negative one with a cat in that price range. How about an IP 35 Cat? The Geminis would also be a choice. But in the 100k range the monos offer more choices.
Im sorry not normally slamming people but nearly every point you have made is just wrong.... Our 32ft cat has 3 private berths. 1 king sized bed, 1 queen,1 double. Plus the salon /settee that could sleep people. Galley up twin diesels ac great tankage and can smoke most cruising mono w ease. Im guessing you need a 42-44mono at least to match the living accommodations. Can you find that in a decent under 100k mono in that range? Also contrary to what you express less expensive boats seem to sell faster / easier to sell than more expensive. For most we spend 75% of the time at anchor im not sure where at anchor a cat is a negative compared to a mono. IP cats are barges with poor performance and plagued with structural issues. Ive seen 3 with mast compression issues and others with more serious damage from being on the hard. Though spacious They are too heavy and poorly designed imho. I do agree that Gems are a good value amd they are rapidly dropping inprice making them a better option for many.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 04:40   #36
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
I also would have to disagree with this post. I think a lot of the older under $100k cats were designed and built a lot better than some of the newer production boats. And in terms of money lost at resale, they would also fair better.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:45   #37
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I'm with smj on this one. Many of the earlier British cats were extremely well built and very seaworthy. I purcahsed my Sunstream 40 for under 100 K and while I will exceed that substantially by the time I have finished a complete refit (including all new sails, running rigging, standing rigging, portlights and hatches, new headliners, flooring, cushions, lifelines, batteries, solar panels, chartplotters, canvass, etc.), she will be by then be in virtually immaculate condition and perfectly suited to extended cruising through the Caribbean and across the Atlantic to the med.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran