Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 06:38   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners
Who is best to make a cockpit enclosure in south Florida?

I’m sure I’ve seen some suggestions of vendors in the past, but my searches have not turned them up.

I have a 2010 leopard 46 sailing cat and would like to add enclosures to the raised helm station and cockpit areas.

We are in route to south Florida (lake worth area) and plan to stay there for a month or so and am hoping to have this work done in that time.

I have a quote from one guy that seemed quite high ( about $14k for both). I was just at thunderbolt marina by Savannah and got a quote there that was about $9k. Would have gotten the work done there as I was very impressed by the yard and staff, but it’s cold and we did not want to stay long enough to get the job done.

So...any suggestions from this knowledgeable crowd on who I should get bids from?

Thanks for the help.
Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 07:50   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Who is best to make a cockpit enclosure in south Florida?

In Miami there is stiff competition among T-tops manufacturers and they can probably be competitive with your own design. You can find them in south Florida Craigslist Boat Parts section and see any T-top for sale for $1. That is your cue these are fabricators.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 10:41   #3

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Ken,
This was 6 years ago, so it may have changed, but we had a very good experience with Harbortown Marina in Fort Pierce. Our Leopard 45 had almost no canvas. We widened the frame and used Strataglass upfront and on the first half of the cockpit, then on the latter half of the cockpit we used Batyline, which we believe to be superior to any canvas material.

https://www.sergeferrari.com/us-en/p...batyline-range

We used solid on the back half of the cockpit and a mesh on the rear. If you’re cruising the tradewind routes mesh in the back is the way to go. Given that you’re typically facing east, when the sun sets you can drop the mesh and it cuts 70% of the heat while you maintain visibility. With that said, you’ll find that you’ll keep it down full time since it provides A degree of privacy without cutting your airflow or views. Take a look at my profile pics and you’ll get the idea of what I’m talking about .
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 10:43   #4

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Look at the fifth picture in my photo album in the gallery
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 08:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Can't recommend anyone since I'm in coastal Carolina but when you find a good canvas guy ask about Strataglass and Tenara thread. Also check out
the Clearstow boat curtain storage bag to keep them scratch free. Only $118.00 delivered .
canvasguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 12:56   #6

Had a lot of work done at Thunderbolt - there was way too much nickel and dime-ing while in the boat yard. Huge turnoff considering what you end up paying. When all is said and done expect to pay a lot more than the quote. Also had a lot of work done at Hinckley Boatyard in Stuart who were great! You don’t pay dockage while there and you can live aboard. Problem right is now is everyone in the boating industry is busy so can’t say for sure but might be wishful thinking to get something done right away. Also it seems the more south you go the higher the prices.
Good luck!
svigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 15:05   #7

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Stay away from "Crows Nest Canvas".
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 19:24   #8

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSB View Post
I’m sure I’ve seen some suggestions of vendors in the past, but my searches have not turned them up.

I have a 2010 leopard 46 sailing cat and would like to add enclosures to the raised helm station and cockpit areas.

We are in route to south Florida (lake worth area) and plan to stay there for a month or so and am hoping to have this work done in that time.

I have a quote from one guy that seemed quite high ( about $14k for both). I was just at thunderbolt marina by Savannah and got a quote there that was about $9k. Would have gotten the work done there as I was very impressed by the yard and staff, but it’s cold and we did not want to stay long enough to get the job done.

So...any suggestions from this knowledgeable crowd on who I should get bids from?

Thanks for the help.
Ken

Our catamaran is at Thunderbolt now and we hope to be splashing on the 5th of Jan. See you in Southern Florida
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 07:12   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I had my Leopard 46 cockpit fully enclosed about 6 years ago. I think it was somewhere around $5500. Was very happy with the work. No longer own the Cat that now lives in the Sea of Cortez. Recently had the same folks do some enclosure work for my current toy, Beneteau Oceanis 45. Quality work too.

Might check them out. Inspiration by Leo. inspirationbyleo.com on facebook at Inspiration Yacht Interior.
Shop in Ft. Lauderdale but services the entire South Fl area. Did my latest work while I was hanging around Key Largo
Captn Ron
USN Ret
ronbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 13:03   #10

Boat: Tartan 37

Call Fred at Blue Sea Marine Canvas in Fort Pierce. He has a nice family owned operation running there. Very responsive and easy to work with. Let him know I gave you his name. Won't get you anywhere though.

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 07:20   #11

In st Pete/Tampa area try Lippincott Canvas. Around st Augustine area, try the canvas shop at The Commance Marina. Both very good high quality shops
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:10   #12

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Also Sunnyland Canvas in Harbortown in Ft. Pierce....
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We had our dodger, connector, and bimini done by Marine Canvas

Call Linda. Her phone number is on the website. I recommend them for both workmanship and price.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, enc, florida