Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 05:34   #16

Nothing to add. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I've cruised in monohulls and one multihull, and I like them both. They are different, and which works best for you depends on what your needs are. Since I wanted to sail around the world with my family, and since my wife wanted flat sailing, I had no choice. It had to be a catamaran. I could have done the trip happily with either a monohull or multihull. Both offer plenty of opportunities for great sailing adventures.

Here's what I like about my catamaran: SAILING OFFSHORE IN A PRIVILEGE 39 CATAMARAN AROUND THE WORLD.* CAPTAIN DAVE.

To me the question isn't monohull versus multihull. It's racing monohull versus cuising monohull versus full keel monohull versus fin keel monohull versus light displacement monohull versus heavy displacement monohull versus racing multihull versus cruising multihull. All of the different designs have something different to offer. All of them involve different compromises. Once you decide what your requirements are, how much money you want to spend, and what compromises you are willing to make, it's pretty easy to select a design that will work for you.

The monohull versus multihull debate is bogus as to which is better. They offer completely different sailing experiences. Neither is better in absolute terms. In relative terms, one of them will be better for you.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44   #17

We're doing anchoring pictures? Cool!

I2F I have to take you to task on the speed comment. The ARC (trade wind sailing) and other rally's don't prove this out. This years ARC the Catana 471 averaged 6.99 and the fastest multi only averaged 7.4. They were all beaten by several venerable mono's of similar length.

Room yes! Speed no. Final caveat, buying a boat is a personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Your memory probably serves you right. Dave was very delicate in his answer. I am a wee bit more blunt. I have cruised both, and if you will be sailing the trades. It's hands down a multi.

You're sailing flat, and that equals less used energy. The more energy you have. The better decisions you will make. The better decisions you make the more fun you will have. What's not to like sitting in a wonderful anchorage with a great view, and very little motion out of the boat?

The more comfort at anchor. The less likely you will want to pay for a slip. The less money you spend. The longer you can cruise, or once again the more fun you will have. In 10k miles, and nearly 8 years of sailing my cat I have never once been charged more from the Caribbean to Florida, and everything in between.

Cost can be a problem. I don't know your budget but you will pay more for a multi that's the same length, year, and condition as a mono. Why?......because you are buying more material, and labor.

Would I go back to a mono? You are darned right I would under a couple of conditions. If I lost everything, and had to sell the cat to keep sailing, or! If I was going to sail high latitudes, such as the Southern Ocean.

Speed when sailing off the wind, and when it's starting to blow. If you can sail quicker. You can sail away from, and out of bad weather easier. Not to mention flatter, and now we are back to conserving energy, and sailing safer. Some believe you will not gain any speed, and what if you don't? Well you are back to more comfort, and more space.

I enjoy a 15* heel, and a boat that behaves wonderfully. I enjoy the looks of a lovely mono. It is what I grew up knowing when looking at pictures. It was what I knew when I began sailing, and I sailed a mono for nearly 17 years, and cruised in her too. I just prefer not to heel day after day after day any more. Like I typed I would do it in a heartbeat if it is what I had to do to keep sailing, or sailing high latitudes.

Another thing is that I do not begrudge those that prefer a mono. We all get through life differently. It's a compromise, and monos have their pluses too. Beating into some real slop is one of them. Their look is another, but I do find my boat attractive, but maybe because it's my boat? BEAUTY is in the eye of the beholder.

Once you decide where you will sail, what your budgets is, and how much space is NEEDED, not wanted. You will be able to make the decision. $ may very well be the deciding factor, and if it is. If you decide you want a multi. There are harbors full of broken dreams, and boats selling cheap, all kinds of boats not just multis. This economy is causing quick sales too. Being in the right place at the right time is essential with money in hand. I know, because I bought my boat 3 years old for less than 40 cents on the dollar. BEST WISHES in finding a boat that serves you well. No matter how many hulls she has. The most important thing for me is to be able to sail.......i2f
Old 12-02-2010, 05:47   #18

Boat: Island Packet 349
If the boat will be kept in a marina, I would suggest checking their availability to accomodate a cat. My marina only has slips that are 14' wide, which greatly simplifies a multi vs mono decision.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56   #19

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Once you decide what your requirements are, how much money you want to spend, and what compromises you are willing to make, it's pretty easy to select a design that will work for you.
Totally agree with what Dave said, except the section above. Nothing easy about it. If you look at both mono's and multi's you'll find things you like and dislike about both. It's highly unlikely you'll find the "perfect boat", just try to get as close as you can.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Did someone say anchor photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5420_49689279983_510824983_569975_6089638_n.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	13230  
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I did mention some will believe you won't sail faster, but you will sail safer, and when you get to the anchorage there is the plus of room, and comfort. I have read from several posters about the ARC, and you can't dispute facts.

Personally what I have found is if I leave N.E. Florida for Miami on a northern front. I can maintain 12-15 knots in 30+- wind in complete comfort. A cup of coffe on the roof sitting against a winch.

Now for the opposite. What usually takes me 6 hours in motoring, or sailing from Miami to Gun Cay. It took me 17 hours against a 30-+ wind coming from the east. I was dblreefed, and a stysail. I could've fallen off, but wanted to keep my course. I am absolutely positive you would've fair a whole lot better, but we were still flat, and cooking normal meals. Once again it's all about compromises, and what your preference is. As I typed. I enjoy a good 15* heel. I just don't enjoy it day after day after day.

I have to give you & snueman credit. Those are some awesome pics!.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:56   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Speaking of anchored pics, I took this while spinnaker flying on a friend's boat in Zihuatanejo.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp SPIN.BMP (128.8 KB, 183 views)

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:11   #23

Neat picture! You guys are party animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Speaking of anchored pics, I took this while spinnaker flying on a friend's boat in Zihuatanejo.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22   #24

Why do you think that is? When a multi sails in the power band ~85 to 135 twa the speeds are much higher then those indicated by passage averages. I've sailed on enough multis to believe the higher speed numbers but at the end of the passage the average speed for a cat is the same as a mono.

Quote:
I have read from several posters about the ARC, and you can't dispute facts.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The multi is not the end all of sailboats. Then again what boats is? We are all making compromises in our choices. We are all giving up something to have something else that matters to us.

2 weeks ago we had 60 to 70 knot winds come through for about an hour. There was a tornado close by. I kept sticking my head out the door to watch. All the monos were heeling, and then standing up, I sat completely flat the whole time. This is my plus. My minus was the 17 hour trip to Gun Cay....lololol......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Why do you think that is? When a multi sails in the power band ~85 to 135 twa the speeds are much higher then those indicated by passage averages. I've sailed on enough multis to believe the higher speed numbers but at the end of the passage the average speed for a cat is the same as a mono.

Multi's do not point as high into the wind as mono's so the averages are lost.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11   #27

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I out point Mono's all the time and I sail a condomaran. Can I outpoint all mono's, no. Can all mono's outpoint me, no. It totally depends on the design of the boat. One cannot generalize about a boat's pointing ability based on the number of hulls it has.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:59   #28

Very well said I2f!

LOL, oh boy do we heel at the dock with 100 foot of rig! But like you said, there is a plus for every minus, I scrub the bottom on windy days.

Quote:
The multi is not the end all of sailboats. Then again what boats is? We are all making compromises in our choices. We are all giving up something to have something else that matters to us.

2 weeks ago we had 60 to 70 knot winds come through for about an hour. There was a tornado close by. I kept sticking my head out the door to watch. All the monos were heeling, and then standing up, I sat completely flat the whole time. This is my plus. My minus was the 17 hour trip to Gun Cay....lololol......i2f
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58   #29

I just like multis more than monos. I know my wife likes the square footage and I think they are cool. I appreciate the redundancy of having two engines.
I know she doesn't like to heel at all. I'm not worried about which is faster or more stable in worst case scenarios....mind you, I'm not saying I'm not concerned about bad situations, I'm just not concerned about which type of boat I'm in if I'm in those circumstances.

Ultimately, I think that's really what it boils down to. I like them and can argue why. It's Ford vs Chevy, V8 vs Straight 6, or LeBron vs Koby.

I'm glad they have a keel and I'm glad my kids are in the other hull!
skeedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Multi's do not point as high into the wind as mono's so the averages are lost.
Huge generalisation. A lot of multi's don't go to windward well at all, but some do so extremely well, even cruising boats.

When you race purpose built race boats against each other, multi's win, upwind, downwind and across wind. (1988 Americas cup, the catamaran's winning margins were 18 minute 15 seconds, and 21 minutes 10)

Different people like different things. There are good arguments for owning a monohull, for one, IMO they are better value for money. (if you're buying, not if you're building)

However seaworthiness isn't one of them. Mono's and multi's have crossed every ocean, been everywhere, both are seaworthy.

For me, a major deciding factor is the way mono's roll, both at sea and at anchor. It used to drive me nuts. Especially when we were anchored next to a cat, rolling our guts out, and they were not moving. Not even a little.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull