Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 10:44   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Why? Jibs on America’s Cup Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Didn't read through the whole thread, so probably plenty of explanations.

Jib serves two functions on these A cat boats.

1) promotes more flow over the wing sail.

2) gives something for the driver of the boat to go by. I.E. tell tales. Particularly when going up wind.
Those guys don't need number 2 especially not when going upwind. They have way to much experience to need telltales.

Also many times the "sweet spot" is not defined by the telltales. You "feel" it when the boat hits it and speeds up (and points better)

I raced a unirig Cat for 5 years and didn't need them and don't have anywhere near the experience those guy do.

I'd sometimes be trapped out forward of the front beam also making the boat point and the telltales would be pointing almost straight up
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 14:00   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Those guys don't need number 2 especially not when going upwind. They have way to much experience to need telltales.

(...)
Vide:

http://yachtpals.com/files/news/ac45-nz.jpg

Apparently, they do.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 14:02   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

I said I.E. tell tales, as in "for example" didn't say that they used them. They have on technology on board that replaces tell tales, still I bet the jib gives the driver some flexibility when driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Also many times the "sweet spot" is not defined by the telltales. You "feel" it when the boat hits it and speeds up (and points better)

I raced a unirig Cat for 5 years and didn't need them and don't have anywhere near the experience those guy do.

I'd sometimes be trapped out forward of the front beam also making the boat point and the telltales would be pointing almost straight up
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 16:30   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
I said I.E. tell tales, as in "for example" didn't say that they used them. They have on technology on board that replaces tell tales, still I bet the jib gives the driver some flexibility when driving.
I.E. is an abbreviation of "id est" a latin phrase which means "that is". i.e an amplification or explanation, not an example. Using i.e. you did in effect say that they used them.

If you meant "for example", you should have used "e.g." which is the abbreviation of "exempli gratia".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, jib