Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 05:11   #31

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Re: Wind Generator Placement

Lexam,
After all consideration, I mounted our Air-X Marine on a 12 ', 1 1/2" SS mast (pole) at the port quarter of our Leopard 42. This gave me the optimum solution for safe height, wire run, access for maintenance and unobstructed wind. The pole base is hinged to allow me to lower it along the side deck for maintenance. You can see the installation in my photos on this site. Our experience thus far in winds up to 45 knots has been excellent. There is essentially no vibration (I think that our heavy 12' SS tube dampens vibration better than the stock 9' aluminum tube) and the sound is not at all objectionable. We're very satisfied with the installation and the turbine performance.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:47   #32

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Most wind generator installations that I see are at the stern on a pole or arch, where the wind flow is often blanketed and the noise source is close to the cockpit. I am planning my installation of an Air X on my Leopard 42, and am inclined to place it on a bracket near the top of the mast, just above the forestay/jib furler. This will better ensure unobstructed wind and maximize distance to the noise source. It will still be well clear of the wind instruments at the top of the mast. Are there any concerns regarding length of wire run, maintenance, or anything else that I am not thinking of? Has anyone a better suggestion?
I suggest that you switch to a quieter brand (= ANY brand NOT made by Southwest Wind Power) first... if not for yourself, out of consideration to others in the anchorage. (The noise from an Air X travels over 1/4 mile)! Then you could mount it on a shorter stern pole to keep the COG low. This is VERY important.

Mounting that much weight 2/3rds of the way up a mizzen mast, is as far up as it should go. The rule with monohulls is that 1 extra pound at the mast head, requires 100 pounds of extra lead in the keel, to counteract it. This is due to the vastly longer lever arm of the mast VS the keel.

With multihulls, the same principal applies. You will loose a considerable amount of righting moment, and add to the pitching. It is like having an anchor that weighs 100 pounds MORE out on your bow! YIKES!

Something to think about... M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Nigel we have seen wind conditions up to 65 knots with out a problem,

The max charge we have seen was 550 watts or 22 amps 24 volts.

Gideon
Thanks for the info Gideon
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:34   #34

Boat: In my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Lexam,
After all consideration, I mounted our Air-X Marine on a 12 ', 1 1/2" SS mast (pole) at the port quarter of our Leopard 42. This gave me the optimum solution for safe height, wire run, access for maintenance and unobstructed wind. The pole base is hinged to allow me to lower it along the side deck for maintenance. You can see the installation in my photos on this site. Our experience thus far in winds up to 45 knots has been excellent. There is essentially no vibration (I think that our heavy 12' SS tube dampens vibration better than the stock 9' aluminum tube) and the sound is not at all objectionable. We're very satisfied with the installation and the turbine performance.
Thanks for the update! Glad that setup is working for you. And if that gives you the power you need without becoming a pendulum then perfect.
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator