Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2008, 04:50   #1

Wintertime in a cat?

Is the dieselheater on a lagoon 420, FP and Nautitech enought to keep the boat ok to live in when its snow (under 0 celcius) for longer time.

Or do i need to insulate anything to keep the water over 0 celsius.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 05:03   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Is the dieselheater on a lagoon 420, FP and Nautitech enought to keep the boat ok to live in when its snow (under 0 celcius) for longer time.

Or do i need to insulate anything to keep the water over 0 celsius.
Freetime,

I don't know the answer yet, but will be a living experiment this winter.

Stay in touch. We are attempting the same thing, except that my cat was insulated at the factory.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 05:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Freetime,

Stay in touch. We are attempting the same thing, except that my cat was insulated at the factory.
Where do you have the boat? NY?
Old 15-06-2008, 06:08   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post

Ya gunna freeze, sucker!

Come spring a team of Siberian Woolly Mammoth researchers are gunna have to chip you out of your cockpit.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 06:36   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Where do you have the boat? NY?
Deep Maine. The record last winter was one night it went down to -23 deg F. To me, this is survival cold. Most of the time it's not nearly that cold though. It usually varies between 20-40F in the day and 0-20F at night.

112 inches of snow last year though.

I am looking forward to not having to work someday and getting the hell down where MarkJ is. He's right...it's not going to be so fun...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 07:19   #6

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Freetime - these folks, Toast Floats may have some first hand information for you on this subject. I believe that they are living on a Lagoon 380 in Seattle area. Much milder than Maine I guess, but in corresponding with them, they will certainly give you their honest opinion.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 10:37   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
I have one Diesel heater on my Lagoon 390S2 but you can order it with 3!
Then i should be enough for all needs.
I was sailing around Zero degrees Celcius and felt cozy.

Regards

Michael
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 18:56   #8
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Winter sucks

Freetime
We have spent the last 3 winters aboard in our cat....The biggest problem with heating the cat is that the saloon is higher than the hulls so trying to keep the heat in the hulls instead of collecting upstairs is a challenge....Dont forget the humidity..A dehumidifier works nicely..Small fans work well to keep everything flowing, usally at the top of the stairs from the hulls (IT helps keep the heat down in the hulls) We used Electric heat....one in each hull..Dont forget rugs they are great for insulation....Another trick that works for us,, all the frames around to windows portlights and hatches get that shrink wrap that you get in a hardware store....this creats a barrier between the plexiglass and inside which greatly reduces moisture....and during the day if its sunny creates and green house effect that you get some radiant heat from. Now we have been lucky it hasnt been that bad past two winters by us but cold is cold and I truely hate it ....you will need to experiment everyone I speak to has different tricks, some may work for you other wont..be patient buy warm socks and enjoy...Good luck
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 12:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B View Post
Freetime
We have spent the last 3 winters aboard in our cat....The biggest problem with heating the cat is that the saloon is higher than the hulls so trying to keep the heat in the hulls instead of collecting upstairs is a challenge....Dont forget the humidity..A dehumidifier works nicely..Small fans work well to keep everything flowing, usally at the top of the stairs from the hulls (IT helps keep the heat down in the hulls) We used Electric heat....one in each hull..Dont forget rugs they are great for insulation....Another trick that works for us,, all the frames around to windows portlights and hatches get that shrink wrap that you get in a hardware store....this creats a barrier between the plexiglass and inside which greatly reduces moisture....and during the day if its sunny creates and green house effect that you get some radiant heat from. Now we have been lucky it hasnt been that bad past two winters by us but cold is cold and I truely hate it ....you will need to experiment everyone I speak to has different tricks, some may work for you other wont..be patient buy warm socks and enjoy...Good luck
Thanks for the advice. How many degrees did you have outside wintertime as coldest? Not like Stockholm i think.
Old 17-06-2008, 13:56   #10

Boat: Ovni 445
I'll be spending this winter in Norway onboard my cat and I hope a 5,5k Webasto heater will do the trick. I'll funnel air into the salon and into the bedroom. Having said that I preferred to have cold bedrooms when I lived on land. There's nothing quite like wiping snow off your pillow.

Of course if it gets too cold and I can't take it, I'll hoist my sailas and brave the winds and head down south.
Old 17-06-2008, 15:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
I'll be spending this winter in Norway onboard my cat and I hope a 5,5k Webasto heater will do the trick. I'll funnel air into the salon and into the bedroom. Having said that I preferred to have cold bedrooms when I lived on land. There's nothing quite like wiping snow off your pillow.

Of course if it gets too cold and I can't take it, I'll hoist my sailas and brave the winds and head down south.
Nice make a tread on this forum when winter is comming. Do you think the shower will work wintertime.

Good luck, sounds nice.
Old 17-06-2008, 16:24   #12
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Freetime
You are right there Are much colder places than Maryland, Temps are usually above freezing during the day just below at night...We have had plenty of single digit nights....but my set up seems to handle it ok (plus lots of cursing the winter gods) I think if you use your immagination youll be fine..... (I dont want to be up there with you) but everyone likes their own thing....good luck.....(Its june can we talk about somthing warmer)
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 05:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B View Post
Its june can we talk about somthing warmer
Ha ha.... Ok!