Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 15:53   #31

Boat: Seafarer 26
I have no idea what sarasota sailing squadron member prices are or what facilities the have. You should be able to get to know people and crew on boats for free. You can always chwck out clubs and hang around and crew for no cost and later decide if you want to go further or not. I would assume the have club boats that members can borrow. Best to just go over there ans introduce yourself and volunteer as crew for racing or day sail.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 16:45   #32

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Re: Wow, what a day

Welcome Aboard!
We took our lessons at Fernandina with Winward Sailing. Much less than the price you quoted. It would be a little further trip but you would get to stay on the boat a couple of nights. We did a lot of marina walking when we were looking for a boat. Met many wonderful people and got lots of great information. Many invited us aboard their boats to check them out and help in our decision making. Most cruisers are friendly sharing individuals that love to talk about their boats and lifestyle!
Enjoy the journey. It's a blast!
Want to sail
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 16:58   #33

Boat: Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to sail View Post
Welcome Aboard!
We took our lessons at Fernandina with Winward Sailing. Much less than the price you quoted. It would be a little further trip but you would get to stay on the boat a couple of nights. We did a lot of marina walking when we were looking for a boat. Met many wonderful people and got lots of great information. Many invited us aboard their boats to check them out and help in our decision making. Most cruisers are friendly sharing individuals that love to talk about their boats and lifestyle!
Enjoy the journey. It's a blast!
Want to sail
The marinas I was at were very exclusive, I am not looking for that. The boat owners I talked with had to much starch in there callers and would not chat with me. I don't consider myself an idiot and I know how to introduce myself and start a good conversation. But the problem is where I live the marinas are very exclusive.
I have just researched a marina more of my comfort style and will be going over there this weekend. I know I will meet some very nice boaters and can't wait to chat with them, but in the mean time, I am reading my books which are way cool and am still searching for a decently priced sailing school.
Fernandina with Winward Sailing- where is that located and what did you pay for "ASA 101" lessons?
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 17:00   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a site called sailmonster and those folks will also sail with ye-- they are in sarasota and on manatee river area----and one of em would LOVE to have ye sail with them or vice versa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 17:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a site called sailmonster and those folks will also sail with ye-- they are in sarasota and on manatee river area----and one of em would LOVE to have ye sail with them or vice versa.

This is a cool site, thanks...
Old 27-06-2011, 19:11   #36

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350

Winward Sailing has 2 locations. One in Jacksonville Fl. and one in Fernandina Beach. Fernandina Beach, were we took classes is at the Northeast tip of florida. Right on the Ga/Fl border. We took 101,103 and 104. Which gave us our bareboat cert. We anchored off Cumberland Island one of our overnights on the boat and woke up to seeing the wild horses on the island. our classes were around $2,000 for both of us but that was in 07. You would need to contact them to see what it cost now. the owner is Tony Jones and they have a website that you can google and check out.
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 20:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to sail View Post
Winward Sailing has 2 locations. One in Jacksonville Fl. and one in Fernandina Beach. Fernandina Beach, were we took classes is at the Northeast tip of florida. Right on the Ga/Fl border. We took 101,103 and 104. Which gave us our bareboat cert. We anchored off Cumberland Island one of our overnights on the boat and woke up to seeing the wild horses on the island. our classes were around $2,000 for both of us but that was in 07. You would need to contact them to see what it cost now. the owner is Tony Jones and they have a website that you can google and check out.
Thank you your awsome...