Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 11:19   #1

Yet another "First Sailboat" Thread... which boat should I chose?

Good day list mates!
Here is another "I want to buy my first sailboat" thread... I appreciate your combined patience and, as always, your input

I am in my 40s, recently decided to take more time off from work and to buy a sailboat, mainly to go cruising in the Bahamas, etc. I am based in NYC.

My sailing background is quickly described - I passed the European equivalent of ASA 103 years ago and have been sailing on and off, last in Thailand. I have never owned anything bigger than a laser. I would need someone to teach me skipper skills and possibly take refresher courses.

For now, I narrowed my search to two possible sailboats, an Endeavour 32 and a Morgan 33 Out Island. Both options have pros and cons.

Endeavour 32:

PROS
- Excellent condition (new sails, brand new engine, new standing rigging, recent hull job, new everything really)
- love the model

Cons:
- no navigation equipment
- needs upholstery
- no auto pilot
- relatively expensive

Morgan 33:
PROS

- fully equipped for bluewater cruising (large diesel/water tanks, has radar, autopilot, etc.)
- is significantly cheaper than the Endeavour
- "motivated seller"

CONS
- overall in "good", but not in excellent shape
- electronics and radar are old (10 years)
- inconvenient location
- I don't love the look of the Morgan

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and input -- with regard to the selection of the boats, and general advise about owning a first boat.

TIA!
FlorianNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:02   #2

Re: Yet another "First Sailboat" Thread... which boat should I chose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianNY View Post
Good day list mates!
Here is another "I want to buy my first sailboat" thread... I appreciate your combined patience and, as always, your input

I am in my 40s, recently decided to take more time off from work and to buy a sailboat, mainly to go cruising in the Bahamas, etc. I am based in NYC.

My sailing background is quickly described - I passed the European equivalent of ASA 103 years ago and have been sailing on and off, last in Thailand. I have never owned anything bigger than a laser. I would need someone to teach me skipper skills and possibly take refresher courses.

For now, I narrowed my search to two possible sailboats, an Endeavour 32 and a Morgan 33 Out Island. Both options have pros and cons.

Endeavour 32:

PROS
- Excellent condition (new sails, brand new engine, new standing rigging, recent hull job, new everything really)
- love the model

Cons:
- no navigation equipment
- needs upholstery
- no auto pilot
- relatively expensive

Morgan 33:
PROS

- fully equipped for bluewater cruising (large diesel/water tanks, has radar, autopilot, etc.)
- is significantly cheaper than the Endeavour
- "motivated seller"

CONS
- overall in "good", but not in excellent shape
- electronics and radar are old (10 years)
- inconvenient location
- I don't love the look of the Morgan

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and input -- with regard to the selection of the boats, and general advise about owning a first boat.

TIA!

You are wise going for shoal draft or lifting keel in the Bahamas.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:00   #3

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5
Re: Yet another "First Sailboat" Thread... which boat should I chose?

I sailed an Endeavor 32 for a week-long charter 2 years ago on the Neuse River, out of Oriental North Carolina. It was a nice boat, and sailed well.

I don't know the Morgan 33, other than what I have read in reviews and from the stats in sailboat data dot com. People who have them seem to like them.

Finding a boat pleasing to your eye, counts for a lot, I believe, if you're going to own it.

I prefer a boat with no electronics, or outdated electronics. That was the case on my Bristol 35.5 I just bought. I used that fact as a point to negotiate a lower purchase price, and now I can equip the boat with new state-of-the-art electronics that suit my needs.

New sails, brand new engine, snd new standing rigging are very valuable items, and should add to the value of the boat, and the sales price.

The lack of navigation equipment, the need for new upholstery, and lack of auto pilot are issues that can be used to negotiate a lower price. My surveyor listed a number of deficits on my boat, in the survey recommending they be upgraded. I sent that list to the broker and owner, and offered a lower price, which they accepted.

One thing about buying a used boat, is that it is rare to find one that will have exactly all of the equipment that you prefer. You accept the trade-offs, and then you have time to save money and upgrade the boat the way that suits you. My Bristol is adequately equipped for me to enjoy sailing her for the next couple of years, as I make upgrades before I set out for wherever I choose to go later.
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat