Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 16:14   #16

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: 1980 Volvo MD2B Refresh or No?

The MD 11c is a verry good and honest engine with standard maintenance good for at least 20k hrs ,don’t , know of any connection between the g box and starter motor,fresh water cooling of these engines is a good idea ,hand start alone makes these engines worth while ,changing the g box cooling is well worth doing and you can use the same fittings . Stick with it , modern is not always the best in the marine game .think about it ⚓️��
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 19:58   #17

I have a 1975 Volvo MD11C which is very similar. I won't go into details but it's very easy to have a small job turn into a big job with these and the expensive, hard to get parts make it impractical for round the world cruising.

Getting parts for newer engines can be challenging enough without having to track down mothballed long-blocks and hope the seller is willing to remove and ship whatever part you need.

The day, coming soon, when I kick my engine off a truck bed into the dump will be a day of celebration. I love the idea of having an engine that nobody else has had a chance to do stupid stuff with.

I'm going with a Beta Marine engine FWIW They're all manual ie: no electronics required to run them. Best of all, you can buy parts online and get them shipped and parts not specific to marine use can be purchased from Kubota!

But hey, that's just me.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:42   #18

Boat: Pilot Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
A 1980 Volvo came with a 37 Albgerg I bought but it is up in NC (I’m in S FL). Its been sitting for 10 years and I am trying to figure out if its worth the time and expense to go get it and get it refreshed and put in.
If you are giving it away...

I live in North Carolina and, depending on its location, I would be happy to pick it up.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
If you are giving it away...

I live in North Carolina and, depending on its location, I would be happy to pick it up.

You can put in an offer and it’s yours.
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 10:26   #20

Boat: Pilot Cutter

I'll have to pass then. I am actually about to buy an excavator (Volvo) and I need all the extra money I can get.

Here, CL and Ebay would probably be your best bet for selling the engine. I saw on for $500 Google Shopping.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 17:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarratt View Post
I'll have to pass then. I am actually about to buy an excavator (Volvo) and I need all the extra money I can get.

Here, CL and Ebay would probably be your best bet for selling the engine. I saw on for $500 Google Shopping.

Ok! I dont think I’ll be able to make it up there to prepare it for shipping and part it out anyway. May just have to let it keep sitting.
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2b, volvo