Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 15:19   #31

Re: 2 stroke outboard storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
What do you mean by pickle it?
that's a term for mixing additives to a small amount of fuel which you run the engine on then turn it off for storage. If it has a built in tank it should be stored with a full tank to avoid condensation. I do this every year to my tractor, tiller, lawn mowers, generator, which all have built in tanks. They always start first time in the spring
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 15:29   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
"Pickle" in the military and I think most jargon is to prepare for long term storage. For an engine this usually means fogging the cylinders, installing dessicant plugs in place of spark plugs, draining the crankcase and re-filling with preservative oil, blocking both intake and exhaust with barrier etc. On an aircraft engine you pickle the fuel system by draining all the fuel out and filling the fuel system with 10W oil.
Enough of that, I like the OP have for years always used Sta-Bil at twice the mix ratio for all my yard tools, blowers, edgers, chainsaw, etc. I should pickle them, but don't usually I don't plan on their last use, it just happens, but for the last ten years or so all I have to do is take them out of the storage closet and crank them up. I always use Sta-Bil in all my fuel for small engines as I don't plan storage, it just happens and I've never had the first problem since I started using Sta-Bil.
Hope I haven't angered Murphy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 16:15   #33

My method for 2cycle
run engine until operating temp
drain fuel tank if mounted on the motor may need to turn up side down to empty the reserve
start engine give it some throttle as its about to die pull choke
drain the bowl most are very easy ,as in a knob with hose to direct the fuel or a screw not so easy ,water left in the bowl is what causes most carb problems or gas that has gone bad
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:27   #34

Boat: Morgan 27
Thanks for all the great info... Time to buy some staybil and hope for the best. Cheers
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42   #35

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
I just spent 4 hrs cleaning out my carb after only 6 weeks due to bad gas. Whats the best way to store a dingy motor that will help keep the gas from going south in the motor? I have heard unplugging the fuel line from the motor and letting the gas burn out helps is that true? Yes I can clean a carb but I can think of much better ways to spend 4 hrs.
I've always had 2 carbs for any of my outboards. Every season i switch the one I use and keep the other one as spare. Before i put the spare one away, I disassemble an inspect needles, jets, etc. I blow carb cleaner through all passages and assemble the carb back. Wrap it in paper towel and put it in a ziplock bag. It might be an overkill but if you don't have sea-tow, and rely on your outboard as I do, i found this to make me completely self sufficient and worry free.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57   #36

Boat: Morgan 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I've always had 2 carbs for any of my outboards. Every season i switch the one I use and keep the other one as spare. Before i put the spare one away, I disassemble an inspect needles, jets, etc. I blow carb cleaner through all passages and assemble the carb back. Wrap it in paper towel and put it in a ziplock bag. It might be an overkill but if you don't have sea-tow, and rely on your outboard as I do, i found this to make me completely self sufficient and worry free.
Hey thats a thought too. Thanks
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07   #37

Yep, so much easier than running the carb dry.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12   #38

Our engine - 1983 Suzuki 5hp 2-stroke

My process (7 seasons now):
- I only use fresh, ethanol-free gas, good 2-stroke oil, and stabilizer. I start with fresh gas every spring; in the fall I burn any leftover gas in the truck, mixed or not.
- I don't run the engine dry. In the winter, I remove the plugs and squirt extra 2-stroke oil in there, pull the engine over a few times, and replace the plugs. I store the motor upright, in our basement.
- I've changed the gear oil a couple of times, but both times the drained oil was as clean and "oily" as brand new oil, so I don't stress about doing it every year.

Every spring I buy and mix up new gas. The engine starts up easily, and runs well for the season.

For practice, I took the carb apart in the spring a couple of years ago. The carb interior was clean and varnish-free, with just traces of still-runny 2-stroke oil in the corners. So I'm satisfied that we're doing enough for the motor.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02   #39

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

This is making that propane-powered outboard sound better and better.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:24   #40

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Yep, so much easier than running the carb dry.
I wasnt saying my recommendation is easier. Ive ended up on the short end of the stick as a result of all the mentioned storage techniques involving running engine dry, adding fuel stabilizer, fogging oil, etc.
I rely on my outboard and use it beyond manufacturer recommendations. As a result Ive developed my own maintenance and tweaking techniques which are obviously not for everyone.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:01   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
This is making that propane-powered outboard sound better and better.
Assuming you have a plentiful source of the little propane cans and the motor is big enough, I think it may be an excellent alternative
Old 08-11-2013, 14:29   #42

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: 2 Stroke Outboard Storage

a64pilot, they also run off standard 20# canisters, and a 15 HP unit is reputed to be coming out next summer.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:35   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Propane has been used pretty much forever for forklifts and other vehicles used inside, I have even seen propane powered floor polishers. One thing about a propane powered engine is there is essentially no carbon build up at all, plugs that have run for thousands of hours look new, and the oil on a four stroke looks clear and new even after many hours. A propane powered outboard may well be the ticket for a Dinghey
Old 09-11-2013, 06:29   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I got sick of cleaning the carb on my little 2 hp Suzuki every time I didn't use it for a couple of months. I bought a 2.5 Lehr propane outboard and love it so much I became a dealer.

The switch from two cycle weight to four cycle weight was less thrilling but not too bad. Worth it for an engine that doesn't need a lot of fussing to get it to start.

"and a 15 HP unit is reputed to be coming out next summer. "
I think it will be pretty soon. They are already showing it to dealers. I hope it's soon. I'm building a little plywood skiff that I'm planning to put one on.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32   #45

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I got sick of cleaning the carb on my little 2 hp Suzuki every time I didn't use it for a couple of months. I bought a 2.5 Lehr propane outboard and love it so much I became a dealer.

The switch from two cycle weight to four cycle weight was less thrilling but not too bad. Worth it for an engine that doesn't need a lot of fussing to get it to start.

"and a 15 HP unit is reputed to be coming out next summer. "
I think it will be pretty soon. They are already showing it to dealers. I hope it's soon. I'm building a little plywood skiff that I'm planning to put one on.
Can you elaborate on your 2.5 propane. I've never seen one before and am curious about it. What type of fuel bottles does it use? How much fuel does it use? Is it a hassle carrying around propane like that or more convenient? Is there a way to accurately see how much fuel is left or do you have to do the shake and feel the weight method?

Tags
2 stroke, outboard, storage