Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 13:58   #1

2QM15 Governor issue

Hello All,
Is there anyone who is familiar with how the governor works on a 2QM15. The Problem: The Engine always ran fine from start to start. Then one day out of the blue when I started the engine for regular maintenance it started fast as usual but it would only idle. When I tried to advance the throttle the engine would gain no RPM's and would quit each time I tried? I don't think the injection pump would just quit working from 2 weeks starting before and only idle the motor A tech told me from what I just described that it sounded like a governor problem. Does somebody know about this issue and could help me correct it,because I am truly stumped. I have a helm with the throttle on one side and the shift lever on the other side so the cables are completely separate.
aleggert52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 21:16   #2

Boat: Samson C-shell 36
Re: 2QM15 Governor issue

I doubt it’s a governor problem personally. Those aren’t adjusted but set from the factory on the 2qm.

Start at the basics. Fuel filters ok?
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 22:57   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: 2QM15 Governor issue

You should be able to check the throttle is fully opening the fuel rack when you refit the injection pump.

You should be able to remove the gear cover (red circle) and also confirm the throttle is moving the governor lever assembly (blue circle) and thus fully opening the fuel rack.

The actual governor weights should only have a minor effect of the positioning of the governor lever with the throttle cable having the major effect. If you can eyeball the governor lever, you should be able to confirm visually if the fuel rack is getting fully operated as you increase the throttle.

If the fuel rack is visually confirmed to be fully opened, then you need to look elsewhere.

Good luck, it sounds like a tough defect to crack.

EDIT: Sorry for a silly suggestion but I assume you have confirmed the throttle lever on the engine is actually moving the full travel as you operate the throttle lever at the helm i.e. the cable is serviceable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2QM15 Gov.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	246825   Click image for larger version

Name:	2QM15 Gov.1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	246826  

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm15