Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 11:23   #1

2QM15 injection pump timing

Hello all,
The operation manual for the 2QM15 engine says the injection pump timing is 27 degrees plus or minus 1 degree. If this timing is incorrect how would you set the injection timing. Anyone have any idea how to set the injection pump timing??
aleggert52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 15:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: 2QM15 injection pump timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleggert52 View Post
Hello all,
The operation manual for the 2QM15 engine says the injection pump timing is 27 degrees plus or minus 1 degree. If this timing is incorrect how would you set the injection timing. Anyone have any idea how to set the injection pump timing??
Do you want a workshop manual for free? It will tell you in there. I have a PDF if there isnt one in the CF library. Look in there first.
You can send me a private message with your email & I will send it to you.
The injection timing is set by shims under the injection pump moving it closer or further away from the cam to alter timing.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 17:34   #3

2QM15 injection pump timing

Wotname suggested injection timing in post 21 on the related thread. I also agree it’s unlikely that timing is the problem but if all the shim set was lost in transit the timing could be way earlier than 27°..... still doesn’t explain the low idle fuel delivery and the inability to increase rpm above idle.
The method to check and adjust injection timing is on this page but without injection volume to open the delivery valve it won’t work as Yanmar suggests. The time honored method is to remove the delivery valve and operate the priming pump and slowly rotate the engine. At the precise moment the free flow of fuel from the delivery valve holder stops (spill cutoff) injection commences so then check the timing mark on the front pulley. For some reason on this engine Yanmar seems to leave the delivery valve in place.
Oh , while I’m yakking on about pump timing here’s a helpful hint...... if the timing is early and the pump needs to be shimmed UP just loosen the 4 retaining stud nuts and when the pump lifts off the base just slip 4 little strips of shim stock into the 4 open gaps and re tighten the nuts..... it beats the hell outta removing and refitting the pump multiple times and finally you only have to cut one thick (or thin) shim instead of several.[ATTACH]246448
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	246447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	246448  

skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 17:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thats not the only Yanmar that you leave the delivery valve in. It's the same on our ysm8 & I'm assuming[ all the Bosch PFR type pumps on Yammers are done the same.
Not that I noticed any difference in operation between 15o which someone had set our engine to & the 25o factory setting.
Liked your shim tip SkipperPete.
Old 04-10-2021, 20:32   #5

Yeah that delivery valve removal thing is only to get the timing perfect and you’re right about a couple of degrees not affecting performance, although while late is ok, early makes em nail a bit at startup ( I prefer to be exact). Haha the shim tip is because I’m bone lazy.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:13   #6

Hello Compass 790.
Thank you for your reply. If the workshop manual is the same as the Service manual for the 2QM15. I have the service manual for the 2QM15. The other issue is I do not know how to private message as I am new to writing on the Cruiser Forum. Also I would like to thank everyone in there endeavors to help me resolve the ongoing problem with the injection pump!
aleggert52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:05   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Hello Compass 790.
Thank you for your reply. If the workshop manual is the same as the Service manual for the 2QM15. I have the service manual for the 2QM15. The other issue is I do not know how to private message as I am new to writing on the Cruiser Forum. Also I would like to thank everyone in there endeavors to help me resolve the ongoing problem with the injection pump!
To send a PM, just click on the members blue highlighted name And the menu comes up, the second line down says send a PM.
Touch this and you can then send a message.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 13:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hello Compass 790.
Oh sorry aleggert, I'm just used to calling them workshop manuals but Yanmar calls theirs service manuals so yes the same thing.
You can just use the injector line as the "spill pipe" as long as its full up & the end is pointing up AFAIK. At least thats what I do & it seems to work.
I'd be surprised if the timing is your issue assuming you put any shims under the injection pump back same as before you removed it. If it wont rev it must be something stopping it from increasing the fuel quantity delivered to the injector.
Good luck.

Tags
2qm15, pump