Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 21:03   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
3208 Cat

A buddy of mine owns a Californian Trawler with twin 3208's. The stbd engine died after 45 minutes running then being brought to idle and would not restart.

I bled the inj pump and 3 injectors and she cranked right up and smooth idled @700 rpm in just a few minutes.

Checked the differential across the fuel filters and they are ok. This engine does not use a lift pump.

In my research, I found numerous complaints of the priming pump being the cause for this issue.

Any users here with input?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:13   #2

Re: 3208 Cat

Have these motors been laying idle for some time?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 21:11   #3

Cat 3208 stop solenoids run position is power ON. Early series had the ground thru its mounting this would cause the engine to stop intermittently and hard to restart. A good clean of the grounding area will fix this problem. The latter series engines are fitted with a 2 wire unit.

The fuel pump on the 3208 uses a slide sleeve metering system if any moisture lays in the pump over a lay up period this sleeve corrodes causing idle stall, amongst many other problems. The truckies remedy for this a wooden drift and hammer a few clouts on the fuel pump body and your on your way.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:16   #4

Thanks Doug. As usual things are kinda crazy round here.

The boat does sit in the slip quite a bit with short outings in between.

Tried to crank the engine yesterday and it needs bleeding again. The owner reports that he has had a fuel leak at the injection pump for a while.

I'm guessing it is time for a rebuild.

I plan to suggest that he call Caterpillar to replace the pump.

BTW, would u know if there is a lift function in the inj pump? It's not gravity fed and fuel comes straight from the Racor to the primary. Just curious.
Old 08-05-2016, 23:49   #5

Some marine installations run an electric feed pump at the tank end to assist priming of primary filters etc. There is also a hand plunger priming pump at the engine filter the plunger shaft seals on these units leak allowing air to enter the system. The valley mounted H P fuel pump has a internal gear pump. The fuel tank fuel return line non- return v/v can some times stick in the open allowing fuel to run a away from the engine, this valve is either at the filter or HP pump dependent on series. A service seal kit is available for priming pump. Easy & inexpensive things first. Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 17:33   #6

Gave my buddy the lowdown. He requested that I attack it with my brood when I get a window. Ordered the detailed (high dollar) service manual on the marine series. I figure to get my younger son to review the manual and walk him through the step by step.

Ought to be a decent training exercise.