Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 10:49   #16

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: 3gm30f rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
And I'm wrong yet again.

I think it's time for me to stop posting on the forum.

We are always learning. Hopefully.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 20:27   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Might want the google that. Here's one link Perfect Engine Sealing Starts With Proper Head Bolt Use - Engine Builder Magazine

It's pretty standard practice to lube the threads of the head bolts, least with older cast iron blocks. If you don't oil or lube the threads the threads will stick / gaull and will prevent proper head torque.

As someone who learned from my dad and have several rebuilds under her belt including my 3gm30f with over 250 hours on it, I'm pretty sure I'm right.
It's spelled gall.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 22:24   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Well, OK, let's look at the Yanmar Service Manual for GM Marine Diesel Engines, which should be pretty definitive for us here. The last four pages are packed with fine print, detailing torque settings for all the bolts and pipe threads and things, and the last page is labelled "Packing Supplements and Adhesive Application Points", telling us where to put anti-seize and thread locker. Excerpts....

Cylinder Head Intake and exhaust manifold bolt threads "Screw Lock Super 203M"
Exhaust manifold stud bolt thread "Screw Lock Super 203M"
Rocker arm support stud bolt (Nothing)

Cylinder Block Cylinder head bolt stud (Nothing)
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 23:23   #19

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Seymore, yes I started to post that the other day. Knew I wasn't wrong, just Cruisers forum wrong.

Main caps, rod caps, and head bolts... meticulously clean and dry. Unless the manual says otherwise, which it will on occasion.

Before installing the head, run the bolts in by hand to verify. If you can't easily run them in by hand the block threads aren't clean. Wire brush like a bore brush for a firearm, low speed on a drill and some PB Blaster works wonders if someone put something on them last build.

Clean and dry means the only torque inaccuracy will be the calibration or use of the torque wrench.

Thing is, if you lube them and overtorque you'll never know it. Because it won't be much and the bolts can bear it without a problem usually.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, rebuild