Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2021, 14:29   #1

Boat: bayfield 32
3gmd pounds when put in gear

Yanmar 3GMD idles fine but hammers and pounds when put in gear Motor smooths out after a few minutes. but duration lasting longer and longer Motor mounts appear to be as they should be and I checked the prop shaft for play when I was on the grid this spring . Could this be a problem with one or more injectors . I doubt they have been tested in the past thirty years
ron finnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 15:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: 3gmd pounds when put in gear

Does the exhaust smoke? If so what colour? Is the smoke different when the engine is warmed up?
Are you sure the problem is not in the gearbox?
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 17:27   #3

Boat: Compass 28

Sounds suspiciously like the transmission cone clutch is slipping until it eventually grabs. Do a search in this forum and more widely, plenty of threads and advice.

The long-term cure is to remove and disassemble the tranny, deglaze the cones and reinstall. Not a terrifying task if you are handy. Some people claim short-term success by replacing the oil with various things like a very low-viscosity oil or ATF.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 20:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Sounds suspiciously like the transmission cone clutch is slipping until it eventually grabs. Do a search in this forum and more widely, plenty of threads and advice.

The long-term cure is to remove and disassemble the tranny, deglaze the cones and reinstall. Not a terrifying task if you are handy. Some people claim short-term success by replacing the oil with various things like a very low-viscosity oil or ATF.

Cheers, Graeme

Yes +1 for this being the most likely cause.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:54   #5

Many thanks for the input .I will check out the gear box and recondition it or have it done .Thanks again
R
Old 11-07-2021, 09:42   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd jump in the water and have a look at the prop cutlass bearing before R&R'ing the transmission. Rule out the easy stuff before before the big expensive things. Doubtful that it's the prop if it goes away but you won't know till you look. In any case it's doubtful that it's your engine though a sticky injector will make the engine run rough and may go way as the engine warms up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'd jump in the water and have a look at the prop cutlass bearing before R&R'ing the transmission. Rule out the easy stuff before before the big expensive things. Doubtful that it's the prop if it goes away but you won't know till you look. In any case it's doubtful that it's your engine though a sticky injector will make the engine run rough and may go way as the engine warms up.

Yes +1 for this too. If folding prop[ isnt opening properly you can get the same symptoms. We have to put ours in reverse sometimes to get it fully open.
Agree always start with simple first. You will pay a kings ransom for a yanmar gearbox rebuild I'd expect
Old 11-07-2021, 11:51   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If it's a fixed prop, maybe a bent shaft or something caught in the prop.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:30   #9

Thanks for your input I did check the prop cutlass bearing when on the grid this spring and there was no play at all. The shaft is short ( about 2 feet )and I detect no bend. It is a fixed prop and not fouled so maybe I will have to consider the possibility that the problem is in the gear box . The motor starts well and idles smooth at any speed with no smoke so likely it is not a problem with the injectors .
Cheers

R
Old 11-07-2021, 16:25   #10

Don't be too freaked about gearbox reno. They are very simple devices. You may well find the biggest trauma is from trying to undo frozen bolts. Start now spraying them repeatedly with your choice of goop - WD40 or whatever the local brains trust suggests. Weasel piss comes highly recommended (50/50 acetone and ATF),

Cheers, Graeme
Old 11-07-2021, 17:35   #11

I have made the determination to do the gear box reno I have had success with a number of previous mechanical repairs .I will take photos as i go. Is there a certain grit I should use to deglaze the cone clutch? Thanks again
R
Old 11-07-2021, 20:02   #12

Ron;

Sent you a pm including deglaze procedure. It's not perfect (I didn't write it) but pretty good. As before, search this forum for a few relevant discussions. I refurbed my KM2A a few years ago (bearings and seals cost about A$250) works great ever since.

According to my manual you will have a KM3A. I can help with workshop manual if required.

Cheers, Graeme
Old 12-07-2021, 00:43   #13

I’d be interested to know the condition of the drive plate, pay close attention to it.... and the flywheel bolts when you withdraw the transmission. Or even better, take a peek through the little grid window on the flywheel/gearbox housing if your 3GM D has the window, you should be able to see if any bad stuff is going on in there with a good led flashlight.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:36   #14

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Sounds like the engine idle speed drops to low causing low idle hunt ,check rpm when g box is engaged these things need to be adjusted from time to time ..just maybe .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:17   #15

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If it's a fixed prop, maybe a bent shaft or something caught in the prop.

My thoughts went immediately to a bent shaft or excessively worn cutless bearing, a sticking blade on a folding prop may cause a similar issue but as far as I know, apart from the Brunton autoprop, all folders have a gear mechanism so they open and fold symmetrically, same for feathering props. That being said a broken gear tooth could cause the same symptoms until the blade jumps back into position.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, gear