Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2022, 19:50   #1

Boat: MAINE CAT 41
3YM30 RIP SEAL (OIL SEAL) LEAK - TBO?

Getting water into the engine room bilge after running. Pretty sure its the Seawater pump Oil Seal (Service Manual) which is evidently also known as Rip seal (Parts Manual.)

Probably been leaking for about 50+ hours. Don't have spare. How long can I go without replacing and what might be the ramifications of delaying repair?

Thanks!
soon2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 00:36   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: 3YM30 RIP SEAL (OIL SEAL) LEAK - TBO?

The seal is a standard 12ID x 24OD x 7 deep oil seal with SS gaiter spring which should be available at any bearing shop. You need to replace that seal ASAP otherwise you will spray sea water all over the engine and the sea water pump bearings which will fail. Changing the seal is easy, remove pump and bracket, remove impeller, prise out seal, push in new.
I change the seals every year when I replace the impeller. No leaks or new bearings after 7 years. Worth carrying a set of generic bearings and handful of seals, they are all standard items available at bearing shops and cheap as chips.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:34   #3

Boat: MAINE CAT 41
Re: 3YM30 RIP SEAL (OIL SEAL) LEAK - TBO?

THANKS! I was fortunate enoough to purchase our cat with a bunch of spare parts already on board -- including new pump -- which I installed (first time ever..as this is my first boat.) No more bilge water. Next learning event will be to "rehab" the pump with a new seal..perhaps new O-rings as long as I'm in there?
soon2sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, oil, oil seal