Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
4.108 Anti-Stall Fitting

So im becalmed 80 mi out in the apex of the gulfstream where it makes its turn towards europe and Im headed towards charleston. Engine starts picking up rpms then dies. upon inspection I see fuel leaking profusely from the anti stall device on the injection pump. I figure Ill put a wrench on it and maybe snug it up. It pops completely off Aargh!!! Inspecting it I see it was glued in place! Is this normal? After removing the exhaust and header tank for access, I discover I have a tiny bit if jb weld kwik and clean the surfaces well glue it back in place, bleed the system and am soooo relieved when it starts and I stop my eastward drift. Anyone out there know how this valve is supposed to be affixed? My repair is still working and I motored about 5 hrs to get where I am. Its on the low pressure side as the bleeder on top of it is bled with the lift pump.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:50   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: 4.108 Anti-Stall Fitting

The anti-stall device on the fuel pump should screw in and out and have a set nut to lock it in place after you have adjusted it to keep the engine from dying before it warms enough after a cold start. Glued in place is definitely not normal and I assume a previous owner had some how stripped the threads.

See figure N5 and N8, page 107 and 108.

http://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn...p%20Manual.pdf
Old 12-07-2011, 16:32   #3

Re: 4.108 Anti-Stall Fitting

G'day,
I guess you mean the cap that holds the the anti -stall screw, on some cav pumps this is only a interferance fit into the body over time due to corrosion etc the joint area leaks or comes apart. It seems you have found the solution to this problem,i have used araldite in the past without complaint or come back.The problem affected late 4.107s---early 108s dpa pumps.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote